PDA

View Full Version : Any way to shortlist albums to be played?

pg5555
2009-01-05, 03:31
I've been a very happy user of the SqueezeBox Duet for some time now, but one thing bothers me. Before I ripped all my 1500-odd CDs to the computer, I could shortlist CDs I was interested in playing soon by pulling them out slightly from my CD racks, as a visual reminder to play them soon.

But I can't figure out how to do something similar with the Squeezebox Duet. Ideally I'd like to be able to "shortlist" maybe 10-20 albums that for whatever reason I've decided I'd like to play soon - you know how you suddenly get an urge to hear a particular album again, but not necessarily immediately. Or maybe I'd like to shortlist a dozen albums to choose amongst during a dinner party later that day, without having to make any immediate decisions.

I don't use Squeezebox playlists, but I don't think that's what I'm after because I don't want to have to queue up particular albums in a particular order. I just want to flag the selected albums somehow to remind me to play them soon.

What would perhaps be ideal would be an option in the Duet's menu to add an album to an "Albums to hear soon" list, and then later to be able to browse that list and select one or more albums to play immediately.

Is there a way to do this with current Squeezebox Duet functionailty that I might have missed?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Philip Meyer
2009-01-05, 04:30
Ideally I'd like to be able to "shortlist" maybe 10-20 albums that for whatever reason I've decided I'd like to play soon - you know how you suddenly get an urge to hear a particular album again, but not necessarily immediately. Or maybe I'd like to shortlist a dozen albums to choose amongst during a dinner party later that day, without having to make any immediate decisions.

You can add albums as favorites, and then browse favorites. However, albums added as favorites are not browseable (you can't drill into them, only play or add to the current playlist), and favorites generally contain lots of other things too.

Once you add albums to your favorites, you can edit the favorites in the WebUI to move the albums into a sub-folder called "shortlist albums".

However, a better approach may be to install Erland's CustomBrowse plugin. If you add music to a playlist, you can then use a mixer on the playlist to browse the content of the playlist like a mini sub-section of your music collection. i.e. browse artists, browse albums, browse years for the songs that are in a playlist.

Siduhe
2009-01-05, 06:09
For individual songs, the Zapped Playlist functionality is a good way to do this, but less useful if you want to 'zap' entire albums.

For info, if you press and hold add on the remote whilst in the Now Playing screen, it will add the relevant song to a special playlist "Zapped Songs".

Agree with Phil though that favourites or creating a special playlist called Albums to Hear Soon (with or without Custom Browse) is the way to go for entire albums.

JadeMonkee
2009-01-05, 21:52
I use the favourites function to do what you asked.
Of course, muddled within the favourites are good internet radio stations and classic albums, but it still beats having to remember an album you wanted to hear, or browsing through all your albums.
It's very easy to remove items from the favourites list, too, so you can keep it nice and trim.

pg5555
2009-01-08, 18:58
Thanks very much for your responses. Much trialling subsequently ensued ...

I think I'll go with the Favorites approach, for its simplicity. I found it fairly easy to add and remove favorites. (One glitch I discovered is that I couldn't drag a Favorite to a subfolder in the WebUI using the Fishbone interface under IE7 - although this worked fine using the Default interface.)

I tried Playlists too, but for my purposes I'd definitely need the Custom Browse plugin (to allow choosing to play an individual album from my playlist). I tried CustomBrowse and did get it to do what I wanted, but I found the settings for CustomBrowse very hard to fathom and some of its behaviour was a little erratic. It takes a good few steps to find a playlist, browse the albums in it and then play one.

It's also a bit messy to add albums to a previously-created playlist.

Thanks again for your responses folks! They certainly helped me find the best approaches to explore.

notec
2009-01-22, 08:02
For individual songs, the Zapped Playlist functionality is a good way to do this, but less useful if you want to 'zap' entire albums.

For info, if you press and hold add on the remote whilst in the Now Playing screen, it will add the relevant song to a special playlist "Zapped Songs".

Correction, you have to be in the PLAYLIST screen - Press and Hold Add (+) on the remote to get songs in the ZAPPED SONGS playlist. This will immediately remove the song from the playlist tho, and start the next song, so if you like the tune best to push and hold near the end...

Siduhe
2009-01-23, 01:23
Correction, you have to be in the PLAYLIST screen - Press and Hold Add (+) on the remote to get songs in the ZAPPED SONGS playlist.

I think we are using Now Playing and Playlist to mean the same thing - sorry, if this was poor description on my part - When I press the Now Playing button on the candybar remote, I get to a player screen which is entitled "Now Playing", but if you scroll down to the next song it becomes the Playlist screen. In either state you can press and hold Add to add to Zapped Songs.