PDA

View Full Version : Rebuffering solved !!! Netgear XE102

marklings
2009-01-04, 03:39
Using an "over the electrical wire" adapter, Netgear XE102, to reach a remote room.
This was not plugged directly into the wall socket, but into a multiple outlet going into the wall

Very severe rebuffering

Plugging the Netgear directly into the wall solved the problem
Probably the instability of the outlet caused electrical surges that in turn caused some frames to be lost. I should add that a proper protocol error management should avoid this. Apparently whenever a single frame was lost the whole rebuffering thing started
Anyhow, it is now fixed and hopefully will help someone else

Cheers, Mark

SuperQ
2009-01-04, 10:40
The squeezebox uses TCP to stream the audio, dropping a single frame isn't a problem. You are were likely dropping lots of frames causing the playback buffer on the squeezebox to empty.

radish
2009-01-04, 10:57
Many power strips have surge protectors built in, these will usually kill powerline network adapters dead. The rebuffering was simply being caused by a lack of data getting over the connection, nothing to do with the protocol.

MeSue
2009-01-04, 11:28
I have the same Netgear powerline adapters which we use to get music out to a metal shed on the property. The instructions say specifically not to plug them into anything but direct into an outlet--no surge protector, not even an extension cord or outlet multiplier. In my house, I found that certain outlets worked and others still caused rebuffering, even plugging into the outlet directly. This was after replacing and testing all the outlets.

pfink
2009-01-04, 11:37
Using an "over the electrical wire" adapter, Netgear XE102, to reach a remote room.
This was not plugged directly into the wall socket, but into a multiple outlet going into the wall

Very severe rebuffering

Plugging the Netgear directly into the wall solved the problem
Probably the instability of the outlet caused electrical surges that in turn caused some frames to be lost. I should add that a proper protocol error management should avoid this. Apparently whenever a single frame was lost the whole rebuffering thing started
Anyhow, it is now fixed and hopefully will help someone else

I've been using Linksys Powerline AV adapters on three of my Squeezeboxes (because of wi-fi deadspots in the house) and they've been working great. Linksys states specifically in the manual to plug them directly into a wall outlet and not into a power strip or surge protector.

marklings
2009-01-05, 04:42
Maybe a little bit of academics, you will forgive me for that, but I am not at all convinced.

1) Losing frames is a common situation in all communication scenarios. This is probably the most important feature a protocol is designed for. Taking care of faulty comm conditions. I was probably losing LOTS of frames, casuing the rebuffering; still I cannot beleive I was losing ALL of the frames that make up for a full buffer (I tried with 30 secs !!!), which would be the one condition where total rebuffering is needed.

2) The one thing that really intrigues me is that the very same configuration worked very fine indeed when connecting a Mac Book. In other words: streaming all king of data to a Mac Book (audio, video, standard HTTP streams, you name it) never caused a problem at all, nevere ever. The very same config on SB3 is totally unusable. This is why I am inclined to believe that audio flow protocol management could be the culprit.

Nevertheless, yes the right way to use Adapters is straight into the wall, yes, I am happpy it is now solved, I thought the line of investigation into rebuffering was interesting but what do I know ? and thanks everyone for reading and commenting. Last but not at all least I am infinitely happy with my SB3 !!!

Mark.

Many power strips have surge protectors built in, these will usually kill powerline network adapters dead. The rebuffering was simply being caused by a lack of data getting over the connection, nothing to do with the protocol.