PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch Query

mcduff
2009-01-03, 09:26
I do not yet own a Squeezebox product and I was hoping someone could answer a query for me before I purchase one.

I own an Ipod Touch that I play mainly through a Klipsh igroove which is situated in the kitchen. However, I would like to be able to stream the music through to the stereo I have in the lounge at the other end of the house. I do have a wireless network in the house.

I was hoping that someone with more experience could tell me whether this would be possible and what hardware and software I would require.

Sorry if it sounds a bit vague.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

exile
2009-01-03, 09:39
if you're asking whether the itouch integrates with the squeezebox, the answer is yes.

I have four squeezeboxes in my home and they're all controlled by my itouch with the help of the ipeng app.

mcduff
2009-01-03, 09:47
Thanks

I guess what I am asking is can the ipod touch act as the server and hence play music into the klipsch as well as stream to a squeezebox?

S

corbey
2009-01-03, 10:13
You can use your iTouch as a "remote control" for SqueezeCenter, but you can't stream music wirelessly from the Touch through the Squeezebox and to your system.

Also, if you have DRMed files from the iTunes store, you can't play those at all through a Squeezebox. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't share its DRM technology with anyone.

JJZolx
2009-01-03, 16:53
I guess what I am asking is can the ipod touch act as the server and hence play music into the klipsch as well as stream to a squeezebox?

No, an iPod (any model) cannot act as the server to a Squeezebox. Squeezebox can only play music streamed from SqueezeCenter or from an Internet source like a streaming radio station or a service such as Rhapsody or Slacker.

But the same files that are loaded into your iPod probably came off of a computer in your home running iTunes. SqueezeCenter running on that computer can integrate with iTunes and play the songs from that library. So you have the same songs, but no iPod.