PDA

View Full Version : streaming 2 mp3s as left and right

tron978
2008-12-31, 10:26
Let me start by saying i'm a curious noob. I heard about squeezecenter in a maximumpc article (summer 2008).

My question is: Is there a way to setup the squeezecenter server to stream one mp3 on the right audio channel, and a seperate mp3 on the left channel as one stream, so that i can conserve bandwidth and use the balance control on my amp to listen to the two seperate songs in mono?

Thanks,

tron978

Mnyb
2008-12-31, 11:04
Why not use just mono files ? if your not interested in quality a mono file will be smaller and use less bandwidth in itself especially mp3 ?
does it matter if it comes out of both channels ?

You can of course combine two mono files to one stereo file and compress it with mp3 , but that would a bit awkward to controll.

Thats very odd request anyway , not likely to be implemented (not many requests for it and products made to meet a price point), I'm guessing that the architecture of theSB's won't allow it

tron978
2008-12-31, 11:15
Thanks for the quick reply. i already have a large collection of MP3's which are stereo, so I didn't want to have to re-record them. i have a low speed DSL connection at home (all we could get...yeah Verizon) and my wife works remotely from home so i have to be conservative with my usage during work hours, hence the idea of using one stream for two different genres from my collection.

so there isn't any way to "play"/"serve"/"stream" two mp3's at the same time with sound only going out over one side of a stream? Beyond setting up 3 different computers and a bunch of patch cords of course :)

i plan on receiving the stream using my neuros osd (great little device)
Tx,

tron978

Mnyb
2008-12-31, 11:29
SC has a bitrate limiting feature built in, the remote stream will apear as another player in the system and you can limit its bitrate in the player settings.
The server can transcode to lower bitrate on the fly. No need to touch the files

You can read the user manual and the wiki i think such stuff is covered there,
this sytem has an impressive set of features I don't know half of them yet myself.

aubuti
2008-12-31, 11:32
Thanks for the quick reply. i already have a large collection of MP3's which are stereo, so I didn't want to have to re-record them. i have a low speed DSL connection at home (all we could get...yeah Verizon) and my wife works remotely from home so i have to be conservative with my usage during work hours, hence the idea of using one stream for two different genres from my collection.
I confess I don't fully understand the request, but are you planning to listen to the SB at home, or stream them from home to someplace else (eg, your workplace)? If you're going to be at home, the low speed internet connection isn't an issue, because you're just streaming within your LAN (your SC server to your SB). Your LAN should operate way faster than the DSL internet connection. If you're streaming to a remote location, you might be better off with bitrate limiting, or simply taking the MP3s with you on an external hard drive or personal music player.

tron978
2008-12-31, 13:11
hi,

i have an office which is not at home, and frequently travel for about a month or so at a time to other locations for projects. i guess to restate my inquiry all i want is to stream two different playlists continuously at the same time in one stream, such that one stream is on left and one on right.

if it cant be done thats okay, it just seems like it would be a very cool thing to have.

tx

Moonbase
2008-12-31, 14:06
Guess that won’t be easy, but you can *easily* stream TWO different (even mono) streams to two different players/locations! Since SC can handle separate streams per player plus has great transcoding possibilities, you could set up two very low-bandwith mono streams for your and your wife’s listening pleasure.

This would only require the already-built-in features, and be easily done.

radish
2008-12-31, 18:20
The other thing to remember about mp3 is that part of it's compression typically comes from using joint-stereo, where the two discreet channels are partly merged. It would be my guess (though I've never tested this) that having two entirely uncorrelated signals would pretty much defeat this mechanism, meaning that two mono streams would use no more bandwidth than the one stereo (which wouldn't be the case for a more normal stereo signal). This really seems like a very complicated (and unnecessary) way of trying to stream two things at once.

tron978
2008-12-31, 20:46
yup it was a silly idea, thanks for steering me clear of myself ;)

pfarrell
2008-12-31, 21:09
radish wrote:
> The other thing to remember about mp3 is that part of it's compression
> typically comes from using joint-stereo, where the two discreet
> channels are partly merged.

Yes, its often called mid-plus-side (M+S) and is used a lot in recording
studios and post-processing. In most pop/rock, the drums and the singer
are in the center, so you can treat it as one mono channel, with just
the differences out to the right and left. It compresses well.

Nearly all audio editing programs can take two channels and mix them to
suit, or even take four and mix them to two.

Not at all sure why one would want to do this.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

st2lemans
2009-01-01, 05:29
mp3 can be joint stereo, but it can also be stereo, mono, or dual mono.

Stereo LPs are M+S, by the way, as is FM radio.

Tom

st2lemans
2009-03-11, 12:17
>> The other thing to remember about mp3 is that part of it's compression
>> typically comes from using joint-stereo, where the two discreet
>> channels are partly merged.

Actually, mp3 can be stereo, joint stereo, dual or mono. It is not required
to be joint stereo.

Tom