PDA

View Full Version : Question on system setups (vs. Popcorn Hour)

korinengell
2008-12-29, 15:29
Ok so I recently discovered the Squeebox (and I especially like the cool duet), but I've also been looking at the Popcorn Hour... However I'm not sure either of them will do exactly what I want.

I started looking at the squeezbox to run music wirelessly from my laptop (since I just purchased a Gigaworks T3 speaker set), but then I got to thinking, geeeeeeez it would be nice if I could watch a video on my laptop and also play the audio stream wirelessly to my 2.1 speaker setup rather than on my crappy laptop speakers!

But from what it looks like when you want to play streaming audio from your computer to the Squeezbox receiver, you need to do this through SqueezeCenter right? And the remote also uses the SqueezeCenter software to navigate through your music collection?

I guess that would mean in order to play video on my laptop and listen to the audio throught the squeezebox, it would be SqueezeCenter that would need to support the various video formats? (Here I'm thinking plugin, plugin, plugin!)

I think I and up with similar but different problems with the popcorn hour... all the navigation through menus and playlists and whatnot seems to be on your TV, and not on your computer, which does not give me the impression that will do what I want either. Although my friend just bought one so I will go and check it out soon.

Any comments or advice are appreciated! Thanks!

funkstar
2008-12-29, 15:37
You are right about the Popcorn Hour, it's all about showing video on a TV, not video on a PC/Laptop and audio through a stereo.

It is possible to get any of the Squeeze products to paly your computer audio, including sound from videos being played, but it is a bit hackish and would be difficult (or perhaps impossible) to get the video and audio in sync.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35718

You are also right about the Controller. It sends all the commands to the SqueezeCenter, which then tells the Reciever (or any other Squeeze product) what to do. All the players are dumb *slim* clients, hence SlimDevices :)

korinengell
2008-12-29, 16:09
Oh cool thanks for the link! Sounds like the kinda thing I was thinking of!

Why do you think it would be hard to keep the audio in synch? Because of problems like separate buffering/decoding for the audio and video streams? But that's not really a new problem is it? (I'm trying to imagine possible combinations of real HiFi setups where audio and video decoding is done seperately).

Some of the best programming is a bit hackish at times! I've no real experience in digital a/v but maybe this is a good time to start the foray! Oh the joys of opensource :)

funkstar
2008-12-29, 16:20
Why do you think it would be hard to keep the audio in synch? Because of problems like separate buffering/decoding for the audio and video streams? But that's not really a new problem is it? (I'm trying to imagine possible combinations of real HiFi setups where audio and video decoding is done seperately).
these other audio and video systems were designed to be synchronous though, a SqueezeBox taking your PCs audio stream over your network and playing it out was never designed to be synchronous with video playing you your PC.

Using something like VLC or perhaps MediaPlayerClassic as your player you should be able to tweak the audio or video delay, but I don't know how consistent the delay will be. It might be worth having a hunt about the forums though, you aren't the only person that has been looking at this solution :)

korinengell
2008-12-29, 16:36
Haha yeah I'm busy going through the 25 pages in that thread! It starts getting pretty technical pretty quickly. Maybe I'll learn something :)

Cheers for the help funkstar, not to mention selling me on the Squeezebox Duet!

peter
2008-12-30, 00:01
korinengell wrote:
> Ok so I recently discovered the Squeebox (and I especially like the cool
> duet), but I've also been looking at the Popcorn Hour... However I'm not
> sure either of them will do exactly what I want.
>
If you're like me they won't. I have a HDX-1000 (runs the same software
as the PH) and an SB3 on top of it. The HDX is great for video and the
SB3 is great for music. The HDX does audio but extremely badly, the SB
doesn't do video at all. I wish someone would make a Squeezeclient for
the HDX. You could the control it via a standard controller (so the TV
doesn't need to be on) and you'd end up with one box only.

> I started looking at the squeezbox to run music wirelessly from my
> laptop (since I just purchased a Gigaworks T3 speaker set), but then I
> got to thinking, geeeeeeez it would be nice if I could watch a video on
> my laptop and also play the audio stream wirelessly to my 2.1 speaker
> setup rather than on my crappy laptop speakers!
>

Won't work due to delay issues.

Regards,
Peter

funkstar
2008-12-30, 03:07
Haha yeah I'm busy going through the 25 pages in that thread! It starts getting pretty technical pretty quickly. Maybe I'll learn something :)

Cheers for the help funkstar, not to mention selling me on the Squeezebox Duet!
It might be worth looking about for some other threads as well, there might even be one discussing VLC specifically. perhaps :)