PDA

View Full Version : hardware feature request

Phil Leigh
2008-12-28, 08:43
For future products, I'd like to see a physical "button" of some sort that causes a reboot by interrupting the power. I know you can pull the DC socket at the back or the switch on the wall, but these are often inaccessible and I worry about the longevity of the PCB mounted DC socket.

This could be a recessed switch that needs a pin or similar to operate.

In the meantime, I've built a small box between PSU and SB that has a DC socket, a captive DC lead+plug and a pushbutton to break the DC connection. Not pretty - but very reliable and quick - also warranty friendly! :o)

It certainly makes XILINX resets easier!

andynormancx
2008-12-28, 13:15
I do hope it is an audiophile quality switch.

radish
2008-12-28, 15:05
I have to ask - how often are you resetting the thing?

Phil Leigh
2008-12-28, 21:42
I do hope it is an audiophile quality switch.

of course - Maplins finest! :o)

Phil Leigh
2008-12-28, 21:45
I have to ask - how often are you resetting the thing?

Well... not that often, to be honest. Mostly it's when I've been messing about with my network...

iPhone
2008-12-28, 22:04
For future products, I'd like to see a physical "button" of some sort that causes a reboot by interrupting the power. I know you can pull the DC socket at the back or the switch on the wall, but these are often inaccessible and I worry about the longevity of the PCB mounted DC socket.

This could be a recessed switch that needs a pin or similar to operate.

In the meantime, I've built a small box between PSU and SB that has a DC socket, a captive DC lead+plug and a pushbutton to break the DC connection. Not pretty - but very reliable and quick - also warranty friendly! :o)

It certainly makes XILINX resets easier!

I have to ask, are you resetting the unit daily? And if its in that bad of a place to get to the back, how is a reset switch going to help anything when it is most likely going to be located on the back!

Use a powerstrip or X-10 outlet, better yet if its really that hard to get to, don't you know what breaker it is on? Reset the breaker for the few times it needs reset.

Phil Leigh
2008-12-28, 22:51
I have to ask, are you resetting the unit daily? And if its in that bad of a place to get to the back, how is a reset switch going to help anything when it is most likely going to be located on the back!

Use a powerstrip or X-10 outlet, better yet if its really that hard to get to, don't you know what breaker it is on? Reset the breaker for the few times it needs reset.

Actually, I do have an X10 I could use - Thanks.
It's hard to explain, but if you saw my setup you'd realise that pulling the mains just for the SB is not easy, and if I pull the DC plug and let it go it falls down into an inaccessible location...

I was hoping a reset button could be on the side. My PC has a nice big one on the front... :o)

iPhone
2008-12-29, 10:02
Actually, I do have an X10 I could use - Thanks.
It's hard to explain, but if you saw my setup you'd realise that pulling the mains just for the SB is not easy, and if I pull the DC plug and let it go it falls down into an inaccessible location...

I was hoping a reset button could be on the side. My PC has a nice big one on the front... :o)

Yes are we not all spoiled by that big reset button on the front of our PCs. But I look at that as a need of a Windows operating system, not the need of the hardware. I can't even remember the last time I used the reset button on my Ubuntu Desktop or Server!

The Transporter IMO is the only unit with room to put one on the front. The side of the units is kind of iffy. The SBR has one dead center on the front. Have you thought about buying a Duet or just an SBR to have another zone? You could swap the two out so the SBR is in the hard place and its reset would be right up front. ;}