PDA

View Full Version : Can I give my Squeezebox a name on my network?

rhswain
2008-12-28, 06:44
Here's a screen shot from my Linksys router. I believe that my Squeezebox is the third device in the list. Is it possible to give it a name (that would appear in the first column)?

kjg
2008-12-28, 10:57
On the SqueezeCenter Settings -> Player -> Basic Settings page there is a field to give your Squeezebox a name. This should show up as the host name in the router's DHCP tables.

Ken

rhswain wrote:
> Here's a screen shot from my Linksys router. I believe that my
> Squeezebox is the third device in the list. Is it possible to give it
> a name (that would appear in the first column)?
>
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Filename: squeezebox.gif |
> |Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6504|
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>

mooblie
2008-12-28, 11:15
That works (i.e. gives the Squeezebox a name it uses itself - also visible to SN) but it's obviously not quite fully "DHCP/IP legal" (or even visible) as the name still doesn't appear in the "Attached Devices" list (on my Netgear DG823N router, anyway).

SteveEast
2008-12-28, 11:27
It does on my Belkin Pre-N router and it did on my m0n0wall firewall when I was using it.

Steve.

mooblie
2008-12-28, 12:55
Hmm. I wonder if there's a flaky interpretation of these network naming protocols here? Different for different router manufacturers and Slim? My result is in the attachment. Slims are on Devices 2, 7 and 8 (as you can tell from the front of the MAC address):

SteveEast
2008-12-28, 13:47
If you add a name for a SB, you may have to reboot the router for that name to show in the router's client list. When I have changed an SB name in the past, the old name was still displayed until I rebooted the router.

Steve.

MeSue
2008-12-28, 13:47
The Squeezebox names show in my router's device list running Tomato firmware.

radish
2008-12-28, 15:02
Works for me on a Belkin (and used to work on my old Netgear too).

peterw
2008-12-28, 16:08
Hmm. I wonder if there's a flaky interpretation of these network naming protocols here?

More likely it's an issue of the router only recording the name when issuing new leases.

rhswain
2008-12-28, 16:10
Thank you, Ken. This prompted me to install the new SqueezeCenter software. (Normally I connect directly to SqueezeNetwork and just listen to radio.) My SqueezeBox already had a name, but now the name shows up on my router list. Perhaps it was the SB firmware update (and reboot) that did the trick. Anyway, it works now. Thanks again.

furonfour
2008-12-31, 05:48
Ah, took me a while to find this thread again. I meant to comment on it before but never got to it...

It does seem to be related to the way the device running the DHCP server obtains the host name of the DHCPed device. I've got a Cisco Wireless AP and a Netgear VPN router in my network, the latter handling the DHCP requests.

The name of the Squeezeboxes does not show up in either of them, while when I connect with my laptop for example using the same infrastructure, the name does show up in the router, but not on the Cisco AP.

I don't really mind myself though, so it's not a problem.

(Router: Netgear FVS336G; AP: Cisco AIR-AP1131AG)