PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter 7.4 CPU usage

mmg_fan
2008-12-27, 08:42
I'm showing an average of 95% CPU usage in activity monitor in os 10.5.6.

I assume this isn't normal. Is it generally recommended to never install the beta nightly builds?

mmg_fan
2008-12-27, 09:07
Ok, re-installed 7.3.1.
Rebooted.
Same issue, showing an average of over 90% CPU usage (activity monitor it jumps between 80-95)

What is even more puzzling, if I quit the server from the preference pane, the perl process is still there!. The only way to cancel it is to manually select it in activity monitor and quit it.

What gives?

mherger
2008-12-28, 12:44
> Ok, re-installed 7.3.1.
> Rebooted.
> Same issue, showing an average of over 90% CPU usage (activity monitor
> it jumps between 80-95)

What you're seeing very likely isn't SC itself, but the scanner searching for your music. It can put some load on your system while it's scanning. But this process should be finished after a few minutes to a few hours - depending on your collection and the computer's horsepower.

--

Michael

Zorker
2008-12-28, 14:22
I just had something similar happen in 7.3.1 and found it because I started getting dropouts. Whatever was causing it wasn't registering in Task Manager (although CPU utilization was high similar to what you were seeing). I did open SC and it didn't show any scan running (that was my first thought). I RDC'd to the box so I'm not sure if the HD light was chugging away or not. After a punt of the server things seem to be back to normal. This is (obviously) on an XP system in my case.