PDA

View Full Version : Renaming album titles

JEJ
2008-12-26, 10:02
I am sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I need to know the procedure for renaming albums. Many show up with Japanese characters as the title, or it says unknown album. I can't imagine there is not a menu somewhere in the SqueezeCenter software program to do this. I changed an album title in MS Media Center, and then rescanned in SqueezeCenter, but it does not show up with the new title (I renamed the album test 1). I have used Squeezebox for 2 years and never have been able to rename albums. This is the one huge problem that ruins the complete enjoyment of the product. I am using Squeezebox Duet now. If the capability is not in the software now, it is a must, must, must have in the next update. And, why has it not been incorporated at this point. Everyone has the problem with such albums being listed with improper titles or no title at all.

Postscript: I got the Test 1 title renaming to show up finally when I chose to have the library cleared and rescanned. So, you can rename album titles and artists by using MS Media Center. Nevertheless, this should be a feature in the SqueezeCenter software program. It should be set up so you can just click on an album in the list and there would be a menu button to rename the title, artist, and any of the tracks in the album.

Skunk
2008-12-26, 10:23
This is the one huge problem that ruins the complete enjoyment of the product. I am using Squeezebox Duet now. If the capability is not in the software now, it is a must, must, must have in the next update. And, why has it not been incorporated at this point. Everyone has the problem with such albums being listed with improper titles or no title at all.

I agree that poorly tagged files can ruin the streaming from HD experience, and that getting it right can be a right pain. For that reason I don't want to risk having SC mess up the tags I worked so hard on, should a bug pop up that, god forbid, erases all my tags (though I do have a backup HD).

The only app I use for tagging my FLAC files is Mp3Tag, and as convenient as it might seem to be able to do away with it, I'd vote against SC including a full fledged tagging app. (not that my vote counts for much!). There are always improvements to be made in other areas of SC, and Mp3Tag is free and does the job admirably already.

All that said, there's a new SC plugin that can get album art, so there is always the possibility someone will write something more extravagant.

slimkid
2008-12-26, 12:02
I agree that poorly tagged files can ruin the streaming from HD experience, and that getting it right can be a right pain. For that reason I don't want to risk having SC mess up the tags I worked so hard on, should a bug pop up that, god forbid, erases all my tags (though I do have a backup HD).

The only app I use for tagging my FLAC files is Mp3Tag, and as convenient as it might seem to be able to do away with it, I'd vote against SC including a full fledged tagging app. (not that my vote counts for much!). There are always improvements to be made in other areas of SC, and Mp3Tag is free and does the job admirably already.

All that said, there's a new SC plugin that can get album art, so there is always the possibility someone will write something more extravagant.

+1 for Skunk. SC is a software that supports the operation of the SB. It is not supposed to be tagger. And, it is not supposed to be able to change the content of the files. I'd much rather use dedicated software for tagging while SC team focuses on resolving the issues from their domain.

K

JEJ
2008-12-26, 13:53
SC manages the entire SqueezeBox system. You both are really quite wrong about what it should do. Its basic feature is to display album titles, artists and tracks as you scroll through the list, and then to play those albums. Since incorrect album titles are very common, and those incorrect titles are displayed in the receiver display panel or on the controller for Duet, SC should most definitely be able to fix that problem. To say that SC is not a tagger is correct, but to say that tagging is not something it should be able to do is not only absolutely incorrect, it is stupidity.

slimkid
2008-12-26, 14:49
...To say that SC is not a tagger is correct, but to say that tagging is not something it should be able to do is not only absolutely incorrect, it is stupidity.

How old are you, really?

yeomanspc
2008-12-26, 16:22
Hey JEJ - I'm with Skunk on this.. but no-one ever called me stupid before. Having worked hard to get the 'right' tags on my music library for over 8 years now, I certainly don't want SC getting anywhere near them - nor do I want it displaying something different to what I carefully typed in. So please.. less abuse and kindly accept that different people have different preferences.

funkstar
2008-12-26, 17:17
SqueezeCenter does not and will not edit your files. This has been stated many times by the development team. This is something I agree with as well. There are hundreds of tools to do this. And they do it far better than SC would do it without many, many months (actually probably years) of development time, which would take focus away from what SC is designed to do: serve your music to your players.

I wouldn't trust MediaCenter to edit my files, I would have no confidence it would do it correctly. The same goes for MediaPortal before I'm accused of being anti MS. My personal choise for tag editing is Tag&rename because I like the interface and it works well for me and what I ask it to do.

Skunk
2008-12-26, 22:43
SC manages the entire SqueezeBox system. You both are really quite wrong about what it should do. Its basic feature is to display album titles, artists and tracks as you scroll through the list, and then to play those albums. Since incorrect album titles are very common, and those incorrect titles are displayed in the receiver display panel or on the controller for Duet, SC should most definitely be able to fix that problem. To say that SC is not a tagger is correct, but to say that tagging is not something it should be able to do is not only absolutely incorrect, it is stupidity.

I understand where you're coming from, and have also been frustrated by typos like Artist: Mismaster Morris, instead of Mixmaster Morris, for months without having the motivation to start a separate application to correct it. If SC had that ability I'd have corrected it right away.

But if SC becomes a tagger someone will then say, why doesn't it rip my cd's?!?! Because there's already a really good application that does that for free, for one.

Again, there's always the possibility a third-party will come to your rescue. You could also try searching the bug database for open feature requests, and consider filing one politely if there isn't.

Phil Leigh
2008-12-27, 01:43

NO NO NO.
SC must NOT change any data in my music files. It must remain a read-only application for music files. I cannot afford the possibility that a tiny bug in the SC scanner process could corrupt my music files (even though they are backed up). I've spent hundreds of hours ripping and tagging. I'm not doing it again.

When I want to change tags, I'll use a dedicated tagger. Then I know exactly what is being changed and when.

By the way, please don't get off telling us that we are stupid because you don't agree with us about what SC should do... there's a lot of folks here who have been using it for YEARS! We KNOW what's stupid and what isn't, thanks.

Moonbase
2008-12-27, 04:04
SC is a great Playing System but should never touch whatever it gets. I feed it with data also used for broadcasting, and I'd get really upset if it tried to mess around with tags that have been manually refined over a period of 10 years now. What it can do in its database—great. But never in the original data.

No one would probably expect their turntables to repair a scratched LP—so why should SC repair bad audio/tagging data?

»Garbage In — Garbage Out«

To be honest, I’m delighted that product management and the developers have seen that point of view, and honour it. Good to know that they are not only »techies« but people who care about music, and usability.

Still, I find a valid point in what’s been said: »… doing it right away«. We all know, if we don’t do it now, we won’t do it ever. From the usability standpoint, I’d like to throw in a feature request here:

Make a song/an album flaggable via an easy keypress on the remote (or the Web UI). And support a list (and resetting) of »flagged items«.

This would allow just flagging a song/album while listening and not forget to care about it later, i.e. taking care of a bad tag or bad audio quality. (By maybe having SC export the »flagged« list to a standard playlist, which in turn could be used with Mp3tag or the like to go along and repair whatever has to be repaired.)

What do you think about this?

Lesu
2008-12-27, 04:04
I've had exactly the same problem when gardening. Why should I have to give up precious seconds reaching for a garden fork after using a spade? I think that manufacturers of garden equipment should have been able to combine the two functions in one handy implement by now. OK it would weigh a ton and do neither digging or forking very well, but just think of those seconds it would save me.

Phil Leigh
2008-12-27, 05:33
SC is a great Playing System but should never touch whatever it gets. I feed it with data also used for broadcasting, and I'd get really upset if it tried to mess around with tags that have been manually refined over a period of 10 years now. What it can do in its database—great. But never in the original data.

No one would probably expect their turntables to repair a scratched LP—so why should SC repair bad audio/tagging data?

»Garbage In — Garbage Out«

To be honest, I’m delighted that product management and the developers have seen that point of view, and honour it. Good to know that they are not only »techies« but people who care about music, and usability.

Still, I find a valid point in what’s been said: »… doing it right away«. We all know, if we don’t do it now, we won’t do it ever. From the usability standpoint, I’d like to throw in a feature request here:

Make a song/an album flaggable via an easy keypress on the remote (or the Web UI). And support a list (and resetting) of »flagged items«.

This would allow just flagging a song/album while listening and not forget to care about it later, i.e. taking care of a bad tag or bad audio quality. (By maybe having SC export the »flagged« list to a standard playlist, which in turn could be used with Mp3tag or the like to go along and repair whatever has to be repaired.)

What do you think about this?
Good suggestion. I have a vague memory of something like this in the past...

Skunk
2008-12-27, 06:59
Good suggestion. I have a vague memory of something like this in the past...

I think it was the 'zapped' playlist, which was meant to be holding area for tracks that needed deleted or edited. It may have been a IR remote-only trick, and I'd have to search to remember how to use it, but I haven't seen it on the Controller.

Phil Leigh
2008-12-27, 07:14
I think it was the 'zapped' playlist, which was meant to be holding area for tracks that needed deleted or edited. It may have been a IR remote-only trick, and I'd have to search to remember how to use it, but I haven't seen it on the Controller.

Yes - that was it!

bobkoure
2008-12-27, 07:49
I think SC is on the right track, by not allowing any modification of music data. Think of all the extra checking that would have to go into the plugin interface, for instance.

I too would really like a "needs attention" list - and the ability to put things there from whatever interface I'm using.

Moonbase
2008-12-27, 09:01
Philip Meyer actually pointed me in the right direction (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57202) — he has an improved »Zapped« handler. :-)

Hint: You might want to vote for inclusion into SC: Bug 9564 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9564)

Skunk
2008-12-27, 09:09
I did vote for the bug, but still think a simple zapped key press combo (if there are any free ones) on the Controller would be a valid feature request. Not sure if I'd want to give up the hold.add for play next feature though.

I had never used zap in the past, but only just now put two and two together and realized you can open the playlist in Mp3Tag and edit them all at once, rather than hunting and pecking through the whole music directory.

autopilot
2008-12-28, 03:52
NO NO NO...

Can i add an extra NO to that.

Even if i wanted my server to be able to modify my finely crafted tags *shudder* i can't see how, as good as the dev team are, it would be able to compete with MP3tag etc. I have an iPod and use iTunes, but i always use MP3tag to manage my tags, way better and easier than iTunes. How much time and development hours have Apple spent on a feature that i ignore and is done better by many pieces of freeware? iTunes was once the golden boy of music management and portable player integration, but now it's a horrible bloated jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. I dont want to see Squeezecenter have a similar fate, i bet NAS owners don't either ;). Not least because i dont want to see developer resources diverted away from improving the best audio streaming solution on the market. What is the big deal about having to use more than one piece of free software?

JEJ
2008-12-28, 10:41
How old are you, really?

You question my age, and I question your judgement as to what features are relevant and necessary in software programs. I hope you are not in charge of program design anywhere.

MeSue
2008-12-28, 10:49
Not sure if I'd want to give up the hold.add for play next feature though.

You don't give up hold.add for play next when Playlist Manager is installed, since it currently only works on the Now Playing list. If/when it's added to browse menus, I guess it would have to be a track info option. I wouldn't want to give up play next either. You can also still use the zapped playlist, it's just that it's no longer the only option so it takes a few more button presses to choose it out of all your playlists.

MeSue
2008-12-28, 10:52
It may have been a IR remote-only trick, and I'd have to search to remember how to use it, but I haven't seen it on the Controller.

Zapped Songs works the same on the Controller as with the IR remote. Press and hold Add from a song in the Now Playing list.

slimkid
2008-12-28, 11:24
You question my age, and I question your judgement as to what features are relevant and necessary in software programs. I hope you are not in charge of program design anywhere.

Oh, I though it was obvious, but hey ... I questioned your age trying to determine where your attitude and choice of words were coming from. It doesn't happen very often on this forum that people call each other 'stupid' just for not agreeing on the issue of topic.

Judging from the other posts, your position on the subject is not shared or supported at all.

And, not that it matters, but yes, part of my job is making the decisions on program design. However, in the real big world, those calls are not being made based on the personal preferences or opinions, but rather as a result of long discussions among subject matter experts and clients.

K

Skunk
2008-12-28, 16:15
Zapped Songs works the same on the Controller as with the IR remote. Press and hold Add from a song in the Now Playing list.

Thanks for the info.

Unless I've missed something else, the Now Playing caveat precludes zapping whole albums, which is what makes importing the zapped playlist into mp3Tag (E.g. to edit the year on all tracks) so convenient. At any rate, I'm glad to see Zap still exists.

MeSue
2008-12-28, 16:51
Thanks for the info.

Unless I've missed something else, the Now Playing caveat precludes zapping whole albums, which is what makes importing the zapped playlist into mp3Tag (E.g. to edit the year on all tracks) so convenient. At any rate, I'm glad to see Zap still exists.

True. Are you saying there is a way to zap a whole album with the Classic remote?

Skunk
2008-12-28, 17:22
True. Are you saying there is a way to zap a whole album with the Classic remote?

No, I'm not sure how it worked with IR. I don't really use playlists much/ever, so have probably accidentally zapped stuff but never realized it created a playlist.

I guess what I would like to see is, for example, pressing and holding Add and Back on any item (albums, artist, playlists, or a track) sends it to Zap for later editing. I would rather see zapped items not removed from the current playlist as well, but others probably feel differently.

aubuti
2008-12-28, 22:13
NO NO NO.
SC must NOT change any data in my music files. It must remain a read-only application for music files. I cannot afford the possibility that a tiny bug in the SC scanner process could corrupt my music files (even though they are backed up). I've spent hundreds of hours ripping and tagging. I'm not doing it again.
The risk isn't only bugs, but also user error. Part of the fun of an SB is turning over the remote, or SB Controller, or SC web ui to friends and family for them to have fun. And 99.9% of the time you don't want *them* to be able to muck up your tags! Just like you wouldn't want anyone to be able to delete/edit your CDs or DVDs.

If you want to change an album title, use a tagging program, simple as that. SC is not a Swiss army knife.

JEJ
2009-01-12, 08:52
I reviewed the Duet here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/media-server-reviews/media-streamers/squeezebox-duet-wireless-music-streamer.html

John E. Johnson, Jr.
Editor-in-Chief
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity