PDA

View Full Version : Which squeezebox to get

Blue Berry
2008-12-26, 07:02
Very new to network music players, so please excuse basic terminology.

We're looking at getting a squeezebox, but unsure whether to get the duet or the boom, and totally confused by it all.

I'm thinking of the boom, because 2 rooms don't have a hifi (our speakers of any sort). Husband is veering towards the duet because he thinks they are possibly easier to expand from. Neither of us are sure of anything anymore!

We would like to expand in time.

Obviously, the boom is appealing to me as two important rooms are without hifi, so assuming I can just walk around with the boom, but can I add on to this at a later date, or is the duet better to start with?

Eventually we would like a setup that lets us have the same music throughout each room, but also be able to have rooms working independently. No idea what we would need for that setup.

Any help greatfully appreciated

ceejay
2008-12-26, 08:14
Welcome! For some more background, you might want to look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide , though it probably won't help you with your immediate question.

Any combination of Squeezeboxes (Duet, Classic or Boom) will allow you to play music independently or sync'ed in as many rooms as you are likely to want. So there's no real difference in expandability.

You'll probably want to set up a server to run SqueezeCenter on, and then you can connect your first Squeezebox to it. If it will be in a place where there is an amplifier/speaker set up, then the Duet (or a Classic) would do nicely. If there aren't any speakers there, or you want ot be able to play in any room of the house, then a Boom might be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Skunk
2008-12-26, 08:32
I'm thinking of the boom, because 2 rooms don't have a hifi (our speakers of any sort). Husband is veering towards the duet because he thinks they are possibly easier to expand from. Neither of us are sure of anything anymore!

They're both equally expandable, so don't worry about getting the 'wrong' one first.

The Boom is great because it can be carried around the house, but it might look a little redundant sitting in front of a bunch of other A/V gear in the main system.

The Duet, OTOH, will always be there, plugged into the main system- so if that accounts for say > 75% of your listening then it would make sense to always have a player plugged in there. In that scenario the Receiver part of the Duet would be stationary, but the Controller itself can act as a separate player through its headphone output, which could be plugged into a cheap set of computer speakers or powered monitors and sync'd to the main stereo (or play something different), to get you started on the multiple zone journey.

Eventually we would like a setup that lets us have the same music throughout each room, but also be able to have rooms working independently. No idea what we would need for that setup.

You would only need the player of your choice in each room where you want music. The web interface or Controller make it easy to sync or un-sync any combination of players.

My choice for the best way to do it would be a Duet for the main system, and add Booms to rooms as the budget allows.

Blue Berry
2008-12-26, 08:48
Thank you so much. I'll go for Boom first (as it's less expensive), and I can carry it around, then move on to the duet when money permits.

Cheers