PDA

View Full Version : playlists, itunes, etc.

egizzi
2008-12-25, 23:28
Hi-

I am running squeezecenter (sc) 7.3.1 on my basement server running os x 10.5.

I has 3 squeezeboxes, sb1 and sb2 flavors.

I'm finding the playlist features of sc to be very limited. Maybe it's me. I've also installed slimfx and don't find the playlist features to be very useful as well. I've installed erlund's sql playlist stuff as well and it didn't do what I want.

Maybe it's me. All I want is to be able to do what you can do in itunes:have a pane with a list of playlists and drag and drop individual songs of my choice into any playlist I want. If I can do that using the web interface for squeezecenter or slimfx, then please tell me how. It just seems like I have to be constantly maintaining the "now playing" playlist but since I'm trying to dynamically add songs by listening to a collection of songs, I don't see how I can listen to a song first and then decide if I want to keep it in a playlist or not. At least I can't figure it out.

So I thought I would use itunes to make and manage my playlists. All I want is for itunes to see the existing library on my server. It seems to want to move files around which I am hesitant to do since I remember a long way back that it could screw things up for slimserver. I've changed the location for the itunes libary, but nothing is happening: no list of music appears when I click on the "library -> music" icon in the left pane of itunes.

I really could use some guidance here... my goal for the day was to make a large playlist for a party we're having tomorrow and I haven't gotten anywhere.

par
2008-12-26, 15:54
I use two different solutions, pick whichever appeals to you most:

1. Just do your dragging and dropping with iTunes and sync your iTunes library (including all music) to your Squeezecenter server. I use ChronoSync for that (my SC server is on linux) with a one way sync from my OS X machine (running iTunes) to the Linux box. Added advantage: you have a backup as well

2. Compose your playlist by moving songs to your player using SC. Rearrange/delete/reshuffle to your hearts content with a capable skin or SqueezePlay, than save the playlist

Good luck (invite me to the party ;=)!

erland
2008-12-31, 03:34
I really could use some guidance here... my goal for the day was to make a large playlist for a party we're having tomorrow and I haven't gotten anywhere.

Well, playlist management in SqueezeCenter is poor, so anyone trying to manage manually specified playlists directly in SqueezeCenter will probably be disappointed. So if you really want to have manually entered playlists where you have specified exactly which tracks it contains, I would suggest using something else than SqueezeCenter to edit it.

Dynamic playlists are fairly good in SqueezeCenter if you use third party software like MusicIP or third party plugins (Like SQL Playlist or iTunes Party Shuffle).

If you are already using iTunes, I would suggest that you continue on that route.
There are a number of options available to sync the playlists in iTunes to make them visible in SqueezeCenter:

1. Enabled the standard iTunes integration in SqueezeCenter till will result in that SqueezeCenter will read the iTunes library file when it scans for music files and playlists.

2. Save the playlist created in iTunes as an external playlist file and put it in the Playlist folder you have specified in SqueezeCenter Settings and perform a rescan in SqueezeCenter.

3. Install and use iTunes Party Shuffle, I think it is able to dynamically read static playlists from iTunes but I haven't tested it myself.

Any of these should work.

If SqueezeCenter and iTunes is running on different computers it starts to get complicated, the reason is that then there is a risk that the paths in iTunes won't match the paths in SqueezeCenter.

moley6knipe
2008-12-31, 05:56
2. Save the playlist created in iTunes as an external playlist file and put it in the Playlist folder you have specified in SqueezeCenter Settings and perform a rescan in SqueezeCenter.

It's been a while since I used iTunes with SC, but IIRC the only options to export iTunes playlists are as .xml or .txt, and I'm fairly sure SC reads neither.

However, this > http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ appears to be a good way of exporting playlists and then converting them to .m3u. a quick read indicates it should be possible to script/make a batch file to do it, as a nice bonus.