PDA

View Full Version : Can't find receiver on new network

Kvaks
2008-12-25, 15:15
I bought a SB Duet a couple of weeks ago, and have been very happy with it so far (even if it's not perfect). My old folks have been looking to join the "mp3 age", so I brought my Duet and my Squeezecenter-laptop over to their place to demonstrate it. Big fail. Problem was, after setting the Duet up for the new wlan I could not find the receiver to choose as player. The controller would only choose itself as player and the "choose player" menu was gone. I tried restarting controller, receiver and even laptop. Nothing worked. The receiver, while connected to the network (red light turned blue/green/whatever), was nowhere to be found on either the controller nor in the SC web interface.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong? The way I see it, nothing changed except the network on which the units operated, and as far as I could tell there were no problems connecting to the wlan. So why didn't it work?

Millwood
2008-12-25, 19:42
AFAIK, the only way to reprogram the receiver for a network change is to factory reset both the receiver and the controller and start from scratch.

Aesculus
2008-12-26, 09:41
I bought a SB Duet a couple of weeks ago, and have been very happy with it so far (even if it's not perfect). My old folks have been looking to join the "mp3 age", so I brought my Duet and my Squeezecenter-laptop over to their place to demonstrate it. Big fail. Problem was, after setting the Duet up for the new wlan I could not find the receiver to choose as player. The controller would only choose itself as player and the "choose player" menu was gone. I tried restarting controller, receiver and even laptop. Nothing worked. The receiver, while connected to the network (red light turned blue/green/whatever), was nowhere to be found on either the controller nor in the SC web interface.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong? The way I see it, nothing changed except the network on which the units operated, and as far as I could tell there were no problems connecting to the wlan. So why didn't it work?

If you had any form of network security on the receiver it could not connect to the new net. Also it probably had the address of the SC stored in it. Are both networks DHCP based?

You would need to at least get the receiver back to a state you could make changes (press the button until a slow red blink). Then the controller can access it to make changes.

If you need a complete reset you would keep pressing the receiver button until a fast blink and then slow blink, but that will wipe all the settings from the device.

FredFredrickson
2008-12-26, 09:47
Use your controller to configure the new network settings, then try to find your receiver.

Press and hold the light on the front of the receiver until it blinks, and after a few seconds it should show up (with a funny name) on your controller. Connect to it, and it will configure the receiver to use the new network.

Yay!

Kvaks
2008-12-26, 14:53
OP here.

I did use the controller to configure for the new network. As I input the WPA key on the controller and pressed >, I noticed that the light on the receiver changed from red to something else (blue/green I think), which I took to mean that the receiver had been accepted on the new network (I didn't have the password to the wireless router, so I couldn't confirm this on its control panel). But still the receiver could not be found as a player on either the controller or the SC web interface.

I guess I can try a factory setting reset the next time I'm over there to give it another try. I'll take a note of other suggestions as well, so I'll be prepared with other remedies in case that doesn't work. The installation on my own wlan when I first got the Duet worked flawlessly, so I'm hopeful a reset to factory settings will work.

Aesculus
2008-12-27, 11:07
OP here.

I did use the controller to configure for the new network. As I input the WPA key on the controller and pressed >, I noticed that the light on the receiver changed from red to something else (blue/green I think), which I took to mean that the receiver had been accepted on the new network (I didn't have the password to the wireless router, so I couldn't confirm this on its control panel). But still the receiver could not be found as a player on either the controller or the SC web interface.

I guess I can try a factory setting reset the next time I'm over there to give it another try. I'll take a note of other suggestions as well, so I'll be prepared with other remedies in case that doesn't work. The installation on my own wlan when I first got the Duet worked flawlessly, so I'm hopeful a reset to factory settings will work.

A factory reset will work because there will be no SC address in the setup. I don't have a controller and configure my SBR from Net UDAP. Not sure how the controller can help reset the SC address if wrong, but thats probably your problem.

More info:

server_address: IP address of currently active server (either Squeezenetwork or local server
squeezecenter_address: IP address of local Squeezecenter server

Lights on Receiver:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBRFrontButtonAndLED