PDA

View Full Version : The wrong Xmas gift? Uh oh....

pdorsey
2008-12-25, 13:38
My wonderful wife bought me a Controller to use with my much-loved and much-used SB v3.

BUT...my SB3 is the wired version, connected to our computer via an ethernet cable. We do have a wireless network at home, which we use for our laptop.

Will the Controller work with the wired version of the SB3? (My completely non technical guess is "no," since how would the Controller "talk" to the SB?) And if not, what are my options? Buy a wireless-flavored SB3? Buy a Receiver? Implement some workaround using our wireless router?

Note: I have not tried to set up my Controller yet. My goal is to get this figured out _before_ I unbox the Controller, fruitlessly attempt to set it up, have my wife ask, "What's wrong?"....and tell her that her Xmas gift doesn't work. After all, she meant well.

Thanks in advance, Pat

pfarrell
2008-12-25, 13:46
pdorsey wrote:
> Will the Controller work with the wired version of the SB3?

Yes.

The Controller has to talk WiFi to the SC box. But from then on, its
just a thing talking to the SC.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Skunk
2008-12-25, 13:53
Will the Controller work with the wired version of the SB3? (My completely non technical guess is "no," since how would the Controller "talk" to the SB?)

It will work with your wireless router. The Controller talks to the server, rather than the player directly.

You should be able to find your network on the Controller, enter password, and see the player listed.

Post back if you have any trouble, and be sure to give her a big hug for getting you such a great gift :-)

pdorsey
2008-12-26, 06:24
All set, thanks very much.

Yes, between the Controller and the bottle of single-village mezcal (soooo tasty!), she gets big hugs this year.

FredFredrickson
2008-12-26, 09:34
Excellent. Glad to hear you had a squeezebox filled christmas. Sometimes I wish I didn't know about the squeezebox so I could rediscover it again, but I guess it's like looking back on a honeymoon.

Skunk
2008-12-26, 09:41
Sometimes I wish I didn't know about the squeezebox so I could rediscover it again, but I guess it's like looking back on a honeymoon.

That's funny. Luckily they have a good track record of coming out with newer models, so to speak.

On a related note, sometimes I wish I never discovered what top-shelf alcohol was, so I could go back and save a bunch of money.

Pale Blue Ego
2008-12-26, 13:39
On a related note, sometimes I wish I never discovered what top-shelf alcohol was, so I could go back and save a bunch of money.

Heh heh, just do what I do, buy cheap vodka, run it through a top-notch water filter a few times, and you've got Stoli or Ketel One:

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Fahzz
2008-12-26, 13:50
Were you joking about the vodka or does that actually work? It's such a funny idea that it makes perfect sense!

FredFredrickson
2008-12-26, 15:23
Myth Busters did it once, and they couldn't fool a vodka expert, but apparently it does help make bad vodka taste better.

DeVerm
2008-12-26, 15:38
Heh heh, just do what I do, buy cheap vodka, run it through a top-notch water filter a few times, and you've got Stoli or Ketel One:

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Ketel 1 is Dutch "Jenever" which is called "gin" (wrongly imo) by most non-Dutch people. It's not potato based like wodka afaik. "Ketel 1" means "still #1". It's not so very expensive in Holland I think?

cheers,
Nick.

Fahzz
2008-12-28, 19:03
Myth Busters did it once, and they couldn't fool a vodka expert, but apparently it does help make bad vodka taste better.

Don't you mean vodkaPHILE?

JadeMonkee
2008-12-28, 19:15
All set, thanks very much.

Yes, between the Controller and the bottle of single-village mezcal (soooo tasty!), she gets big hugs this year.

You lucky monkey! Two fantastic presents!
Unfortunately, as much as I love mezcal, the last time I had it I broke out in hives. I guess I'm allergic to the worm...
It was so very, very tasty, though. Such a shame.
I'm not allergic to SB Controllers, however.

FredFredrickson
2008-12-29, 00:22
Don't you mean vodkaPHILE?

I guess I'm not enough of a vodkaphile myself to have known that term existed. :P