PDA

View Full Version : It's stopped working! = (

hurstie1981
2008-12-24, 10:14
Hi, im hoping someone out there can help me.

Ive had the SB3 for around 18 months now, and love it to bits...but i think its on its way out. Last week..i was using squeezecentre and listening to a radio stream, which is nothing out of the ordinary, however it was not a pre-set chanel, one i put in the address for.

After a few mins, it just crashed. I tried everything, but it wouldnt load up. The remote also stopped working. I then rebooted my PC, and it came back to life once vista had loaded, but only on squeezecentre.
If my PC was off.....i couldnt use anything, the screen would just stay black, and i couldnt connect to squeezenetwork as my remote wont work.

Ive been trying everything for the past week...but its just not working!

Ive tried new batteries in the remote, and its still not working.

I hope you can help.

Thanks

Hursty

slimkid
2008-12-24, 12:40
did you try reset ?

hurstie1981
2008-12-25, 02:15
Thanks for your reply...i know i seem like a complete novice...but how do you reset it?

Many thanks....

toby10
2008-12-25, 06:31
Thanks for your reply...i know i seem like a complete novice...but how do you reset it?

Many thanks....

FACTORY RESET: unplug power, press and hold the ADD (+) button, plug power back in. Give it a few minutes to cycle through it's reset configuration.

You will then have to re-set everything up (IP, connect to server, WEP/WPA info if WiFi, etc...)
If it doesn't do a FW Update when re-connected to SC you can force a FW Update by pressing and holding the BRIGHTNESS button.

hurstie1981
2008-12-25, 06:49
Thanks Toby, the problem is though that the remote isnt working. So when i turn on the power with the "add" button pressed...it doesnt go through setup as its just not receiving a signal from it. I dont know how the remote can just stop working though....

toby10
2008-12-25, 07:34
Thanks Toby, the problem is though that the remote isnt working. So when i turn on the power with the "add" button pressed...it doesnt go through setup as its just not receiving a signal from it. I dont know how the remote can just stop working though....

You could try a JVC brand remote as the IR codes are the same for your SB3 remote. Though I don't know what JVC buttons (if any) would emulate the ADD or BRIGHNESS buttons.

If dropped these SB3 remotes are known to have issues with the solder connection to the IR emitter (eye) becoming loose.

When you unplug and reconnect the power does the SB3 screen come on?

avta
2008-12-25, 08:15
? fresh batteries

hurstie1981
2008-12-25, 08:34
? fresh batteries

First thing i tried. Might have to go back to be fixed, its still under warranty...

hurstie1981
2008-12-25, 08:37
You could try a JVC brand remote as the IR codes are the same for your SB3 remote. Though I don't know what JVC buttons (if any) would emulate the ADD or BRIGHNESS buttons.

If dropped these SB3 remotes are known to have issues with the solder connection to the IR emitter (eye) becoming loose.

When you unplug and reconnect the power does the SB3 screen come on?

Yeah, the logitech and squeezebox logo's come on...then it says press right to set up.....then after a few seconds finds my computer and connects...but...this is the problem...i dont want it to connect, i want to be able to change the settings, use squeezenetwork etc...i dont want to have to have my PC on all the time.
It could be the remote...but its strange how it stopped working after it crashed. It wasnt like i had dropped it or anything.

avta
2008-12-25, 08:52
One other thing to try if you haven't. Hold down the Brightness button on the remote with the SB on. This updates the software.

hurstie1981
2008-12-25, 08:55
One other thing to try if you haven't. Hold down the Brightness button on the remote with the SB on. This updates the software.

Ive tried that thanks, but no reposnse...

avta
2008-12-25, 09:01
You may have done this but take the batteries out of the remote and unplug the power to the SB and leave them that way for about 15 min. Then power up the SB/remote with the ADD button pressed.

hurstie1981
2008-12-25, 09:33
You may have done this but take the batteries out of the remote and unplug the power to the SB and leave them that way for about 15 min. Then power up the SB/remote with the ADD button pressed.

I have done a bit of fiddling about with the remote, and when i push on the "eye" i can get it to work.....so im thinking its the remote thats kaput! How much are new ones?

toby10
2008-12-25, 10:38
I have done a bit of fiddling about with the remote, and when i push on the "eye" i can get it to work.....so im thinking its the remote thats kaput! How much are new ones?

Sounds like that loose solder issue. If you are certain the remote is kaput, you might want to attempt to disassemble it and look for a loose solder connection. Maybe a friend knows how to solder?

If your attempt completely destroys the remote, you were replacing it anyway. But only if you are CERTAIN the remote is truly broken! :)

lanierb
2008-12-27, 10:50

They're $29.99 on this site -- probably the best solution. You can also use any universal remote and in fact really any IR remote if you're willing to construct an IR code file yourself (pretty easy but might take 30 minutes or so of your time -- let us know if you want help with this).

You can also control your squeezebox completely over the web or using an iPhone -- either using the plugin iPeng or one of the remote apps (I would also recommcend iPeng there).