PDA

View Full Version : Shoutcast

psycho13
2008-12-24, 05:10
Hi,

after upgrading to 7.3 it seems to be necessary to use a SqueezeNetwork account to browse Shoutcast stations and play them. Why is that? Is it possible to just play Shoutcast stations without an account as before?

Why do you need an SqueezeNetwork account even if you don't want one?!

Shoutcast is now "hidden" deep in the menus, is there any way to bring it up again to the first menu level?

Thank you,

psycho13

toby10
2008-12-24, 06:15
Hi,

after upgrading to 7.3 it seems to be necessary to use a SqueezeNetwork account to browse Shoutcast stations and play them. Why is that? Is it possible to just play Shoutcast stations without an account as before?

Why do you need an SqueezeNetwork account even if you don't want one?!

Shoutcast is now "hidden" deep in the menus, is there any way to bring it up again to the first menu level?

Thank you,

psycho13

My SC7.3 plays ShoutCast fine. I never use SN, but I do have my SD devices registered on SN. I think all logins and subscription streams are all handled through SN now. I suppose you'll have to get setup on SN to utilize SC radio functions.

- create SN account
- register your device(s) via PIN
- enter SN registration info in SC > Setting > SN

While you are on SN, why not get setup on ALL the great free streaming services: Live365 (though, like you, I much prefer ShoutCast), Last.fm, Slacker, Pandora, RadioTime

Once setup and registered you'll never need to connect your device to SN again, using SC7 only for radio streaming.

In SC7.3 you can move the entire ShoutCast service to your favorites by simply clicking the "heart" icon. There you can move it anywhere you like within your favorites so it is front and center for easy access.

psycho13
2008-12-24, 06:54
Thank you for your answer! I've registered and entered my registration info. Now Shoutcast works and I was able to move it to the favorites.

It still bothers me a bit that a registration is required to be able to use stuff that just worked out of the box in earlier SC version. I must say that I'm not a big fan of all that "activate/register to get full access/functionality" crap (even if it just left in the options so that everything works fine).

Anyway, thanks again for you help and a Merry Christmas to you!

psycho13

bonze
2008-12-24, 07:56
Where is Shoutcast hidden?

toby10
2008-12-24, 12:45
Where is Shoutcast hidden?

SC7 > Internet Radio > More Radio

bonze
2008-12-24, 12:49
Thanks - last place I thought to look.
Annoying that it's not available in the 'Menus' setup.

toby10
2008-12-24, 12:56
Thank you for your answer! I've registered and entered my registration info. Now Shoutcast works and I was able to move it to the favorites.

It still bothers me a bit that a registration is required to be able to use stuff that just worked out of the box in earlier SC version. I must say that I'm not a big fan of all that "activate/register to get full access/functionality" crap (even if it just left in the options so that everything works fine).

Anyway, thanks again for you help and a Merry Christmas to you!

psycho13

Yeah, I avoid as much of the membership stuff as well when possible. Back in the old SS6.5 days all of the memberships were also within the SS server application as well as on SN. Just a *wild* guess on my part, but I'm wondering if they are trying to minimize some of the functions of SC for the freebee downloads. This way, most Internet Radio usage would be restricted to authorized hardware devices (i.e. purchased hardware) as the devices PIN is required to use SN. No PIN, no SN, no (very little) Internet Radio via SC7.

It might just be the SC7 architecture that requires SN authorization, I dunno. But I certainly wouldn't blame SD for restricting access and functionality to SC without a hardware purchase. :)

psycho13
2008-12-25, 04:17
Exactly... But that is what bugs me a bit. Why not leave it the way it was in 6.5.x? What was the purpose of totally changing the way to use internet radio? Any improvements? Not for me at least... Two hours of wasted time, a new (pointless) account which I don't even want and more necessary clicks in the menus - way to go.

Anyway, it's Christmas, so let's be happy :-)

toby10
2008-12-25, 06:20
Exactly... But that is what bugs me a bit. Why not leave it the way it was in 6.5.x? What was the purpose of totally changing the way to use internet radio? Any improvements? Not for me at least... Two hours of wasted time, a new (pointless) account which I don't even want and more necessary clicks in the menus - way to go.

Anyway, it's Christmas, so let's be happy :-)

I hear you. I love the SD products and I think the SD developers are pretty amazing at what they do. But from a users perspective (especially us non-technical types) they seem to lack communication at times. Example: Many complain of the quite vague install and operating guides. Also they outright delete features or drastically change how things function with little or no heads up to it's users.

But that's the price we pay for a fast evolving and continually improved product like SS/SC. Any change in functionality (add, delete, improve) in SS/SC is going to be viewed in one of three ways by it's current users:
1. I like it
2. I dislike it because ........
3. I don't care as I don't use that function

A perfect example of this is when they released SC7.3 (I think) where they removed the entire Menu item of "My Favorite Stations" from Internet Radio. The described improvement in the release notes and email was "improved Internet Radio Menu navigation". Some liked it, some didn't, many did not care as they did not use that menu item (like myself, I never used it). BUT, I can certainly understand others being a little pissed off as all of their saved radio stations were essentially deleted with no real warning.

Or, as you ran into, apparently changing how SC7's Internet Radio functions by now requiring SN registration for certain radio services. That should probably have been better spelled out in the upgrade release notes and emails. If my suspicions are correct (disabling certain functions without a hardware purchase) I completely agree with this move. But maybe it could have been communicated better. *shrug*

I'm NOT ranting about SD or SC or those brilliant minds behind it all, it's just the way it is. One users improvement is another users draw back, they can't please everyone. :)