PDA

View Full Version : What the amazon plug-in should really do

slydog75
2008-12-23, 07:08
When I first saw Amazon I thought 'what a great idea! I can buy and download amazon mp3s right from my SBD Controller!" But no, all it does is add the actual CD to your shopping cart so you can buy it later from a computer and have it shipped to you. Talk about missing the boat guys! being able to buy the mp3 version of the album right from the remote and have it automatically download to a predetermined watched folder would be truly awesome. However, it's probably best that it doesn't work like this as I could see myself spending way to much money on impulse buys.

Mick Seymour
2008-12-23, 11:04
Hmmm. I think the way it works is better; you receive the CD, flac it and have better quality.

autopilot
2008-12-23, 11:11
I think the Amazon plugin was on my Home Menu for all of about 40 seconds.

Mick Seymour
2008-12-23, 11:23
I wonder how much Amazon is paying Logitech for the privilege?

ds2021
2008-12-23, 11:41
Most likely nothing. I imagine Logitech is hoping to get some affiliate revenues.

Themis
2008-12-23, 11:55
It works as I would expect it to work for me.
I never buy mp3s : most of the time they are more expensive than CDs. ;)

DoomWolf
2008-12-23, 16:03
http://mp3.amazon.co.uk

Downloadable albums (256kbps, no DRM) from 3. Not Flac quality, but a reasonable price for what you get.

Treat Yourself: 3 of MP3s for Free This Christmas Day and Boxing Day

We've got an extra gift for you this Yuletide: 3 to spend on anything in our MP3 store on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Visit us on December 25 or 26, then just add your chosen MP3s to your Shopping Basket (you need to use the Shopping Basket rather than 1-Click) and enter code FREEMP3S at the checkout--3 will be deducted from the total. And why not spread the Christmas love? Send a link to this page to friends and family members and they can get 3 off too.

I agree that this new Amazon store menu option is nothing more than a revenue raising ploy through Logitech's Amazon affiliate account (I'm just jealous because my affiliate account does nothing).

bizdevguy
2008-12-23, 16:41
As the person here at Logitech responsible for the business agreement between Logitech and Amazon (at least as we implement Amazon on the Squeezebox), I too would like to see downloads. However, the APIs for the Amazon CD store are open and don't require any special license agreement beyond their associate T&Cs. However, to implement the MP3 downloads, you need a special license agreement. We would like to offer the ability to purchase and download songs directly from the device and we're working with a number of different download stores (Amazon too) to make that happen.

And the main reason for integrating stores on Squeezebox is all about creating a seamless experience across all music properties on the web to allow you to discover, listen and own your favorite music. Just like how we allow you to smoothly move from listening on Pandora or finding a song on Last.fm or Rhapsody to listen on demand.

BTW, the rev share agreement wasn't a factor.

Goodsounds
2008-12-23, 17:23
......BTW, the rev share agreement wasn't a factor.

I find this to be a very interesting comment. Interesting, bordering on shocking, bordering on unbelieveable that a bus development initiative wouldn't have revenue enhancement as a "factor". But I don't know better and I respect the comments of the company's people. So, so be it.

peterw
2008-12-23, 17:48
Shameless plug: my PlayLog plugin makes it relatively easy, at least for those in the US, to look for CDs and Amazon MP3s of music you hear on your Squeezebox (also information from Wikipedia, allmusic, etc.). It's not as integrated as slydog75 would like (not even as integrated as the SqueezeCenter Amazon cart), but it's another option for keeping track of music you're interested in. Works best in conjunction with ContextMenu if you want to only log specific songs. With ContextMenu + PlayLog, you hold the right arrow on the IR remote (or press and hold the Boom knob), scroll to "Log track info", and tap the right arrow (or knob). My favorite config is "All Internet Radio, others manual" so it logs info about every Internet Radio (and "Music Services" tracks) so I can go back later and look up more info about that record, buy a copy, etc.

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PlayLog.html

Yes, my links to Amazon are tagged so that I get affiliate kickbacks (about $0.03 on a $0.99 MP3), but the level of clickthrough conversions is low enough that I think I, too, can say that the revenue sharing agreement is not a significant factor. :-)

-Peter

Mnyb
2008-12-23, 22:53
When I first saw Amazon I thought 'what a great idea! I can buy and download amazon mp3s right from my SBD Controller!" But no, all it does is add the actual CD to your shopping cart so you can buy it later from a computer and have it shipped to you. Talk about missing the boat guys! being able to buy the mp3 version of the album right from the remote and have it automatically download to a predetermined watched folder would be truly awesome. However, it's probably best that it doesn't work like this as I could see myself spending way to much money on impulse buys.

Two things mp3 no no no and no, lossles flac please.

as a company not selling drm free lossles flac is not only missing the boat,
you just fell into the water right of the pier.

Amazon mp3 does not work outside US afaik.

CD will do, as it apearently is the lossles distrubution method that all parties can agree about. I know it's total waste and not green shipping plastic disc around the globe.

Thg6276
2008-12-24, 02:31
It works as I would expect it to work for me.
I never buy mp3s : most of the time they are more expensive than CDs. ;)

Right, when you can buy a cd for € 6.99, you can download it on the same page in Mp3 for € 9.99!

More expensive for a less quality than a cd (that you could rip in flac...) and of course without any packaging....

Very strange...

DoomWolf
2008-12-24, 02:38
Amazon mp3 does not work outside US afaik.

You might notice that the link I posted was .co.uk and mentions prices in . ;)

Mnyb
2008-12-24, 06:02
You might notice that the link I posted was .co.uk and mentions prices in . ;)

well well thats good news, wonder if it works from sweden :-) it's intra EU it might work.
but its still mp3 :-/
Mp3's from amazon.com is blocked by ip or something

JadeMonkee
2008-12-28, 19:29
What bugged me about the Amazon link was why I would want to buy the CD for an album I'm currently listening to? If I'm listening to it on my SqueezeBox it means that I've already bought and ripped the CD.
So it's useless.
But does it work on internet radio? Now that makes sense, and is something I maybe could use.
However, I think post #10 (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=375077&postcount=10) in this thread (tux's play log plugin) would do a better job, anyway.

BlueWombat
2008-12-29, 00:38
What bugged me about the Amazon link was why I would want to buy the CD for an album I'm currently listening to? If I'm listening to it on my SqueezeBox it means that I've already bought and ripped the CD.
So it's useless.
But does it work on internet radio? Now that makes sense, and is something I maybe could use.

I couldn't agree more - If I was focused on CD's only and listening to one song from an album, it's very likely that I'd have the whole album already. If I only had the one song, it would be because I'd gotten it as an MP3, thus if I wanted to fill out the album, I'd want the MP3 version. But, I understand the company's current position is due to limits from Amazon and
and it's partners.

I also think that a tie-in to purchase from radio/service providers would be most valuable. Hear a song, click on it, download it to keep it....

What I find interesting is the differences in pricing between Europe and the U.S. based on other's posts: I have become a heavy user of Amazon because in the U.S. they provide DRM-free MP3s at reasonable bit rates for less than the CD version. I know we can discuss the differences in quality between MP3s and FLACs, but for picking up popular music, they often can't be beat, with a select album a day at $1.99 to $3.99, weekly specials at $5.00 an album. Currently, they are offering 50 top albums from 2008 for $5.00 each. The CDs would be $9.99 to $11.99 each. It sounds like the prices are the reverse for Europe.

For favorite albums or special music, I will always consider the possibility of a CD. In fact, there have been times where I have bought the CD after falling in love with the MP3 version of an album, but even then, I feel like I've come out ahead since I've had the chance to be exposed to a lot more music through the whole MP3 album process.

Mnyb
2008-12-29, 08:59
It is working on internet radio !
I used it when listening to Last FM :-) it does not do deezer yet.

It works on some regular internet radio to, folk alley for example.
Some channels do not send meta data so it can't work then.

It's probably OK with some of the US music services to.

I do wish that the "on Amazon" menu could be filtered out from local content.

andyg
2008-12-29, 09:11
I do wish that the "on Amazon" menu could be filtered out from local content.

It's not entirely useless on local content. You can maybe find new albums by the same artist, read reviews, etc.

Mnyb
2008-12-29, 11:27
It's not entirely useless on local content. You can maybe find new albums by the same artist, read reviews, etc.

Hmm maybe yes, but if could do the whole shopping from the controller ;-)
Artist you know of is easy to find anyway on amazon you sort of know where to look.

It's really powerful to snap something from radio, how many of us has not been running in circles after a notepad and pen when something good we newer heard of is on the radio, and what a relief to NOT use last FM's hideous site to figure out what I was listening to