PDA

View Full Version : Duet Controller would not switch off

Cough
2008-12-22, 11:31
I see lots of posts that the controller would not switch on - here's my "reverse" problem

Running 7.3.3476 firmware

I was listening to a bunch of music using my controller to select songs, skip etc. After about 4 hours I noticed that the wireless beacon symbol at the bottom of the screen had turned red. I thought it might be the wireless connection, but continued for a while selecting other music, getting album art, internet connection etc with no problems at all. I noticed that the battery charge was around half so I decided to shut down the controller and recharge it in the cradle. But pressing the home key just gave me the "goodbye" screen - sometimes the "musical shutdown" but the controller just wouldnt shut down fully. I tried various combinations of buttons to no avail, then left it in the cradle overnight to recharge. In the morning the controller was still locked at the "goodbye" screen so after more button pushing to no avail I pulled the battery. Controller rebooted after battery insertion and everything has been fine since then. The battery had even recharged while in the locked up state.

No complaints, not looking for any help. Just reporting it in case this is a more widespread issue.

hymer
2008-12-23, 12:55
I just experienced the same symptom: charging, red wireless symbol, hanging while displaying 'goodbye' when trying to turn it of, pulled battery to resolve.

Corndog
2009-02-03, 15:33
This happens to me as well. Shutdown from the controller doesn't work and sometimes the signal icon on the controller is red. Everything still connects, just the icon is red. Removing the battery makes it whole again. But it makes me wonder what's going on.

slabo
2009-02-06, 15:14
I see lots of posts that the controller would not switch on - here's my "reverse" problem

Running 7.3.3476 firmware

I was listening to a bunch of music using my controller to select songs, skip etc. After about 4 hours I noticed that the wireless beacon symbol at the bottom of the screen had turned red. I thought it might be the wireless connection, but continued for a while selecting other music, getting album art, internet connection etc with no problems at all. I noticed that the battery charge was around half so I decided to shut down the controller and recharge it in the cradle. But pressing the home key just gave me the "goodbye" screen - sometimes the "musical shutdown" but the controller just wouldnt shut down fully. I tried various combinations of buttons to no avail, then left it in the cradle overnight to recharge. In the morning the controller was still locked at the "goodbye" screen so after more button pushing to no avail I pulled the battery. Controller rebooted after battery insertion and everything has been fine since then. The battery had even recharged while in the locked up state.

No complaints, not looking for any help. Just reporting it in case this is a more widespread issue.

I have had this happen twice now. One with previous firmware and again now that I have updated to r3993. This description is exactly the same for me. Starting to sound like a bug.

Brian Ritchie
2009-02-07, 11:03
This has happened to me as well; a couple of times in the past week or so. The wireless logo had turned red (I've no idea when); despite this, most things seemed to work OK. Then I tried to go into Settings, and nothing happened - I got the top level menu, but it wouldn't scroll, and I couldn't select anything. I was able to go back out, and continue browsing music, controlling players, switching players etc., but I just couldn't get into Settings. So I decided to shut down the controller and restart - and it took an age (in the order of 5 minutes) to finally shut down (the Goodbye screen was showing (hence the title) with a faint Now Playing screen behind it). Now that I've restarted it, all seems well.

I'm running SC 7.3.1, Controller firmware is 7.3.r3993. I'm fairly sure this was happening occasionally with the previous firmware as well.

I rarely shut down the controller, but do shut down (the PC running) SC every night; but this doesn't happen every day, so I don't think that's a cause.

-- Brian

slabo
2009-02-07, 18:12
This has happened to me as well; a couple of times in the past week or so. The wireless logo had turned red (I've no idea when); despite this, most things seemed to work OK. Then I tried to go into Settings, and nothing happened - I got the top level menu, but it wouldn't scroll, and I couldn't select anything. I was able to go back out, and continue browsing music, controlling players, switching players etc., but I just couldn't get into Settings. So I decided to shut down the controller and restart - and it took an age (in the order of 5 minutes) to finally shut down (the Goodbye screen was showing (hence the title) with a faint Now Playing screen behind it). Now that I've restarted it, all seems well.

I'm running SC 7.3.1, Controller firmware is 7.3.r3993. I'm fairly sure this was happening occasionally with the previous firmware as well.

I rarely shut down the controller, but do shut down (the PC running) SC every night; but this doesn't happen every day, so I don't think that's a cause.

-- Brian

Same here. The first time it happend it did eventually shutdown. The second time I just pull the battery. I am running SC 7.3.2 and controller is 7.3.r3993. I am running a D-Link DIR-655 router with WPA2 AES security. Not sure if the wireless indicator going red and staying red is really the network lossing connection or not. The firmware definately has problems after the indicator gets stuck but mostly works. Didn't know about the settings. Will try to reproduce if it happens again. What are you running for network? Wondering if we have a common network config.

Brian Ritchie
2009-02-07, 19:24
... I am running a D-Link DIR-655 router with WPA2 AES security. ... What are you running for network? Wondering if we have a common network config.

I'm running a Linksys WRT54G and "WPA2 Personal, TKIP+AES" (to quote the router's config page, it's all Dutch to me).

-- Brian

slabo
2009-02-08, 10:35
It looks like we do have a common security setting on our wireless. What is everyone else running? corndog? hymer? cough?

Corndog
2009-02-08, 14:12
2Wire wireless router. Encryption:WPA-PSK, Authentication:TKIP. SqueezeCenter 7.3.2 running an a headless HP MediaSmart server with Windows Home Server Service Pack 2 - Never shuts down, runs all the time. Controller firmware 7.3.r3993

slabo
2009-02-09, 17:37
Well thought we might have been onto something with the the WPA2 personal with AES. Hey I am also running on an MSS with latest updates. Got to like Windows Home Server.

Croz
2009-02-19, 04:35
I've got the same issue, solid red icon on the controller but everything still works. Get the frozen "Goodbye" when I try to switch the controller off, and have to remove the battery to reboot it.

Router set to WPA-PSK encryption and TKIP authentication. SqueezeCenter 7.3.2 - 24695 running on an Ubuntu 8.1 headless server which is always on. Controller firmware 7.3.r3993

Never had this before I downloaded r3993 firmware.

KMorgan
2009-02-19, 05:12
ditto

Happened a few times this week r3993

HansS
2009-02-19, 05:25
I don't think this is a specific r3993 problem. I have had this a few times with the previous release. But not yet with r3993.

Jhong
2009-02-25, 21:51
Same problem, with the last couple of firmware releases. Exactly as described. Seems to be more likely to happen if I had at some point been using the controller to listen to music since last power-off.

I am *not* using WPA, just WEP for me.

Cough
2009-02-28, 14:10
I have a Westel router with WEP