PDA

View Full Version : Bad left channel?

colin_young
2008-12-21, 10:38
It's been a bad week for me squeezecenter setup. First I bricked my Linkstation that runs squeezecenter (actually, the lights indicate that it is working fine, and my switch is displaying lots of activity -- I just can't find the thing on my network :( ), and then when I was all proud of myself for remembering that I had set up my SB3 with Squeezenetwork, when I connected I discovered that one of my speakers was producing mostly static with a bit of audio mixed in.

After a fair amount of cable swapping and swapping outputs from my amp (the no-longer-available Sonic T-Amp), I've isolated it to the left output of the SB3 (swapping amp outputs leaves the same speaker bad, swapping cables, same bad speaker, swapping outputs at the SB3 switches which speaker is bad). I haven't had an opportunity to test the headphone outputs (I've only got one pair of headphones, and those are at the office), and I don't have anything that can use the digital outputs.

Is this a known or common problem? Is my SB3 toast? Can anything be done about it?

Thanks.

Colin

SuperQ
2008-12-21, 11:44
You could try resetting the audio hardware (Xilinx Reset)

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_Reset_commands

colin_young
2008-12-21, 13:36
Nope. That didn't make any difference. Thanks though. I might try the full factory reset, but I'll need to wait until I get squeezecenter up and running again before I try that (and for that I need to find a SATA cable that fits the SATA drive in my Linkstation -- apparently the combo IDE/SATA cable I've got is not for all SATA connectors).

At least in the meantime I've got the right channel of internet radio to entertain me.

Thanks.

Colin

colin_young
2008-12-23, 13:48
Small update: I've had a chance to check out the headphone output, and that is fine. It is only the left analog output that has an issue.

Sir G
2008-12-23, 15:12
I had the same problem a few months back. Had to return the unit to Slim for repair. From what support told me, it was just a dry solder joint at the RCA connector.

colin_young
2008-12-24, 13:46
Thanks. I filed a support incident with Logitech several days ago. I now assume that "response within 24 hours" meant 24 working hours, as opposed to 24 actual hours which is what that phrase customarily means.

colin_young
2008-12-27, 11:58
I did finally get a response suggesting I try a factory reset. Since I had already done a reset (thanks to needing to add a WPA2 key -- don't get me started on _that_) I simply had to connect my left channel again, and it worked. I won't pretend to understand what it did, but I'm just happy to have it working again.