PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio 1-5 Abroad?

ianpannell
2008-12-21, 04:44
I have just bought a Squeezebox Classic and am about to move to India. I see that the SqueezeCenter streams BBC Radio 1-4 in the UK only. Is it possible to use the Squeezebox to receive these stations in India and if so how? Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Ian

bpa
2008-12-21, 04:49
The BBC broadcasts all programs and all stations in RealAudio and these are available worldwide. There are other streams and better quality quality which uses WMA and/or MP3 but these are available only in UK.

Squeezebox cannot handle RealAudio natively and so you need to have a PC running SuqeezeCenter with the AlienBBC plugin to transcode RealAudio into a format which the SB can play.

The AlienBBC plugin also gives you easy access to all the iPlayer "Listem Again" programs (e.g. Archers omnibus).

ianpannell
2008-12-21, 10:08
Thanks very much.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but does that mean that the URL through the realplayer on the pc for each BBC Network is different than the one that the Squeezebox would search for on its own?

Also, a friend suggested using a proxy server or trying to alter my IP address - but I presume that both solutions (if they work) would also require using the Squeezebox through the PC only?

Cheers

bpa
2008-12-21, 10:38
Sorry to ask such basic questions but does that mean that the URL through the realplayer on the pc for each BBC Network is different than the one that the Squeezebox would search for on its own?

AlienBBC uses the web site and gets the URL provided by the BBC. The URL provided by the BBC will depend on your location and what players you have installed. Generally the actual RealAudio URLs are the same but there are many different playlist URLs which lead to the same URL.

Also some URLs are UK only as they have content that can only be broadcast to UK. These UK only URLs will not work outside of the UK.

Why use a proxy when AlienBBC will work. Proxy may only be useful if you want higher quality MP3 but IIRC the proxy solution are PC based using iPlayer so AlienBBC will probably not work with the proxy as it deals with the website direct.

stelensmith
2011-01-25, 23:05
I think BBC broadcast all programs and stations in radio all over the world...but if you want to watch programmes of BBC then you can't watch because it is only available in UK...

vinnielo
2011-01-26, 01:38
They do now.
However, the high quality streams are only available in the UK.