PDA

View Full Version : Best iPhone Remote

bytheedge
2008-12-20, 15:52
I was just wondering what iPhone people are using and which of the 3 you prefer if you've tried more than one?

At around 5 each I'm reluctant to download and try more than one only to find that another app might be better.

Any views most welcome.

Cheers

bte

pippin
2008-12-20, 16:30
Any views most welcome.

Well, obviously I have to prefer iPeng (I wrote it).
So don't count on my recommendation, but how about reading a few of the comments on the App Store, there are 15 on iPeng on the US App Store, 11 on the UK one and 5 on the German one, don't know about others.

Please note: For Squidgy as well as for iPeng there are some comments that still refer to old releases, for iPeng these are especially the ones on "The The" and slow loading on startup. For Squidgy it's the ones that it crashes a lot on startup and that that it wants to refresh the database each time it's started. All of these issues are fixes, hope you get more comments from users of the actual versions on this forum.

ptrainer
2008-12-21, 00:12
iPeng is my favorite by far. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. If it allowed the iPhone to function as a player too it would be perfect (in a future update I hope?)

AlchemyToo
2008-12-21, 12:07
I've tried iPeng and Squidgy, and prefer the latter.

iPeng doesn't have the "random mix" function (unless I'm missing it), which is how I mostly listen, plus Squidgy seems faster due to the database it builds.

pippin
2008-12-21, 12:29
iPeng builds a database, too, you just may not notice because it does it in the background so that you don't have to wait for a few minutes until you can use it...

ds2021
2008-12-21, 14:23
iPeng is my favorite by far. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. If it allowed the iPhone to function as a player too it would be perfect (in a future update I hope?)

I would second this preference for iPeng.

SamS
2008-12-21, 15:19
I bought iPeng. Ridiculously easy to get going. Download app, browsing/listening to music 10 seconds later.

My only complaint is that I am just now realizing that I should have been doing album art this whole time! It makes for nice image on your iPhone to see the album cover that is playing.

PurpleSqueeze
2008-12-21, 17:53
I've tried iPeng and Squidgy, and prefer the latter.

iPeng doesn't have the "random mix" function (unless I'm missing it), which is how I mostly listen, plus Squidgy seems faster due to the database it builds.

You can add it to your favorites in Squeeze Centre then you can use it in iPeng.

I only have iPeng so far but it is really very good. Squidgy's landscape mode looks nice in the screen shot.

Chippy
2008-12-22, 13:16
I took a look at the Sonos iPhone demo on their site. I'm feeling a bit dirty now... ;) but the multi player volume control looks really nice:

www.sonos.com/demo/iphone/demo.html

(Shown at around 1:10)

Do any of the Squeezebox iPhone controllers do anything similar?

Chippy

pippin
2008-12-22, 13:25
I took a look at the Sonos iPhone demo on their site. I'm feeling a bit dirty now... ;) but the multi player volume control looks really nice:

www.sonos.com/demo/iphone/demo.html

(Shown at around 1:10)

Do any of the Squeezebox iPhone controllers do anything similar?

Chippy

iPeng is somewhat half way there (individual control for each player), rest will come in one of the next releases:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/ipeng-sample-pictures/081006-natnpplayer.png

Schindler
2008-12-22, 13:42
I only know iPeng. It is nice, but I don't understand why the slider buttons are not bigger, its hard to adjust volume - but this may be a iPhone issue or my fingers...

I also have problems to select the correct player if they don't fit to one page...

Christian

pippin
2008-12-22, 13:47
I only know iPeng. It is nice, but I don't understand why the slider buttons are not bigger, its hard to adjust volume - but this may be a iPhone issue or my fingers...

I also have problems to select the correct player if they don't fit to one page...

Christian

Nothing to do with the size of the buttons, the capture area is quite big, at least in 1.0.4 (much bigger than the visual button).

The problem is the TableView. Working on it, but not sure I get it done for the next release.

mmca22gr
2008-12-22, 23:24
I took a look at the Sonos iPhone demo on their site.

I have tried iPeng, Squidgy and waiting on auth before I try Squeemote.
So far I prefer iPeng, but I really do prefer the graphics used by SONOS. My father has a SONOS system and it does work very well. The graphics etc just seem much more professional. Pity Logitech did not go that route also, and invest a bit of time and money into an app.

iPeng - it just works. Simple as that.
Squidgy - it works also but I don't like waiting on the DB to build so rarely use it.

panos_k75
2008-12-23, 02:51
I have tried iPeng, Squidgy and waiting on auth before I try Squeemote.
So far I prefer iPeng, but I really do prefer the graphics used by SONOS. My father has a SONOS system and it does work very well. The graphics etc just seem much more professional. Pity Logitech did not go that route also, and invest a bit of time and money into an app.

i completely agree with you. Graphics on the Sonos are on completely different level. Functionality wise as well the Sonos remote is also very good.

pippin
2008-12-23, 18:49
i completely agree with you. Graphics on the Sonos are on completely different level. Functionality wise as well the Sonos remote is also very good.

I have to say that I don't fully agree.
I DO agree that a lot of the artwork in iPeng can use a makeover, hey, I'm not an artist. This will be addressed.

But I don't like everything on the Sonos App either.
All the zone related stuff is cool, design AND functionality wise.
On all the Browse pages, especially search, they waste a lot of space, IMHO, which isn't good for the functionality, wasting space on a device like the iPhone always comes at a price.
The NowPlaying screen on the Sonos app in my eyes is a horrid mess. Useless 3d effects leaving you with a skewed album art and some information packed next to it with un-obvious controls, I really don't like that one.

Generally, I find that people ar using the 3d stuff on iPhone too much for useless effects. This looks cool the first time you see it, but it's a kind of "hey, we can do 3d effects, we are cool". Like each family car had to have wings and spoilers back in the 80s. It hurts functionality and after you have looked at it for a week it becomes boring.
No, what I want on NowPlaying is the album cover, as big as possible, not useless effects. And the most needed controls.

This may be a personal thing, but I will always try to follow the "form follows function" paradigm.

davidjames
2008-12-23, 23:03
I have to say that I don't fully agree.
I DO agree that a lot of the artwork in iPeng can use a makeover, hey, I'm not an artist. This will be addressed.

But I don't like everything on the Sonos App either.
All the zone related stuff is cool, design AND functionality wise.
On all the Browse pages, especially search, they waste a lot of space, IMHO, which isn't good for the functionality, wasting space on a device like the iPhone always comes at a price.
The NowPlaying screen on the Sonos app in my eyes is a horrid mess. Useless 3d effects leaving you with a skewed album art and some information packed next to it with un-obvious controls, I really don't like that one.

Generally, I find that people ar using the 3d stuff on iPhone too much for useless effects. This looks cool the first time you see it, but it's a kind of "hey, we can do 3d effects, we are cool". Like each family car had to have wings and spoilers back in the 80s. It hurts functionality and after you have looked at it for a week it becomes boring.
No, what I want on NowPlaying is the album cover, as big as possible, not useless effects. And the most needed controls.

This may be a personal thing, but I will always try to follow the "form follows function" paradigm.I'll take this even further. I don't care about the graphics at all. I pick my music and put the iTouch down and listen. Then again, I'm an old fart and fully recognize I'm probably in the minority :). But for my money, I say, keep it simple. Heck, I don't even care for playlists. I pick a CD and play it. I have an attention span ;)

Keep up the good work.

bytheedge
2008-12-24, 06:18
Thanks for all the comments so far.

I've used the iPeng web apps for a while, but have to say I was a little frustrated by it's slowness.

Think I'll take the plunge and buy the native app, I can them use my spare iPod touch as a dedicated remote, rather than using my iPhone as the main control for it.

lanierb
2008-12-24, 11:31
Thanks for all the comments so far.

I've used the iPeng web apps for a while, but have to say I was a little frustrated by it's slowness.

Think I'll take the plunge and buy the native app, I can them use my spare iPod touch as a dedicated remote, rather than using my iPhone as the main control for it.

The whole point of the native app is to address the unavoidable slowness of the web app.

g0rd0n
2009-03-11, 23:12
I vote for iPeng, having tried all three.

--G

sydney
2009-03-12, 11:26
I tried Squidgy first, then iPeng and prefer iPeng.

kantblue
2009-03-13, 12:16
Hi

One thing I should point out that Ipeng allows a Wake on Lan call if you set your computer go to sleep when not in use, I'm not sure about the other two apps. Anyone know?

I personally prefer ipeng, but having used squidgy I think thats fine too, they are both different to each other.

Kantblue

AlchemyToo
2009-06-03, 03:29
Looks like EMCC Software, authors of Squidgy, have gone into administration: http://www.emccsoft.com/iphone.html