PDA

View Full Version : Alarm / Playlist Oddity

agbagb
2008-12-18, 06:53
SC 7.2 under Vista, Classic Interface; 2 x SB3 in Sync.

My PLAYLIST folder consists wholly of links to Streaming Radio (indeed the folder itself is called RADIO .....). I have my ALARM set to wake me up in the morning by playing the PLAYLIST item called BBCRadio3 (accessed initially via ALIEN, and then saved as a PLAYLIST item).

Usually this is fine. But this week a couple of times the ALARM has gone off on schedule, but playing a random succession of FLAC music tracks located in other sub-folders of my main MUSIC FOLDER. The SC Interface shows the "correct" track under NOW PLAYING in the right hand pane - ie, it shows the actual random track that it's selected. If I manually select my RADIO folder on the left pane, and then hit PLAY for BBCRadio3, then that starts fine.

So, any ideas why SC is occasionally deciding to wake me up with something of its own choosing? I have to say that Madam AGB is less than impressed....

AGB

bpa
2008-12-18, 07:40
The alarm has a number of fallback mechanisms in case the chosen alarm "sound" doesn't work. I think the first level is random selection - failing that is an alarm sound file.

So my guess is that the Radio3 playlist didn't connect within the timeout limit of the alarm and so the alarm went for the backup.

If you are in the UK - you could use the WMA stream.

agbagb
2008-12-18, 08:11
The alarm has a number of fallback mechanisms in case the chosen alarm "sound" doesn't work. I think the first level is random selection - failing that is an alarm sound file.

So my guess is that the Radio3 playlist didn't connect within the timeout limit of the alarm and so the alarm went for the backup.

If you are in the UK - you could use the WMA stream.

Ah-ha! The Alien BBC3 stream has been a little cranky for the last several days, so I guess that was it (and I'm in the USA, so Alien is my only option...). The totally odd think this morning was that Madam AGB and I had a conversation last night about the jazz pianist Jim McNeely (who's a friend) - and lo and behold, I was woken this morning by the first complete track of Jim's "Live at Maybeck" album!

AGB