PDA

View Full Version : How to install 7.3beta in SB Duet?

GradualStudent
2008-12-16, 21:23
I see that the 7.3beta allows use of the headphones with SB Duet. How does one install the update? On the controller handset, selecting "Settings -> Advanced -> Software update" tells me that I have the latest version 7.2 r3191.

I don't have the SB connected to a computer, just to the stereo. Is it necessary to connect to it via a PC?

Thanks!

maggior
2008-12-16, 22:58
Actually, 7.3 is now a production release.

Upgrade your server with 7.3 and the controller will automatically update. Then, go into settings and enable the audio feature (which is labeled BETA since this particular feature is still being developed).

GradualStudent
2008-12-17, 12:59
Actually, 7.3 is now a production release.

Upgrade your server with 7.3 and the controller will automatically update. Then, go into settings and enable the audio feature (which is labeled BETA since this particular feature is still being developed).

Hm. The Squeezebox Duet I have is just
(a) a small black box with one mysterious light that can change color, and
(b) a handheld controller that I can interact with.

Is that little black box the server? Is there a link to instructions to update the software?

Mnyb
2008-12-17, 14:55
By "server" maggior means the SqueezeCenter program installed on your PC.

What version of SqueezeCenter do you have ?

Audio playback in the Controller i supported by SC 7.3

GradualStudent
2008-12-17, 19:09
Ah! that's just the thing which confuses me in the posts. I don't use (or even think I need) a PC with the SqueezeBox Duet. It's just a beautiful streaming receiver sitting atop my stereo, that lets me access Rhapsody and Internet radio. Even there, I just the SB Controller to search Rhapsody.

So no PC, no SqueezeCenter.

Just a remote control with a headphone jack that I would love to work. I realize now I should have titled this thread "How do I get the headphone jack to work in the SB Duet remote?" But I saw threads like that which said upgrading the software should do the trick.

(Thanks for putting up with me being dense. I think this may be the most polite message board community on the Internet)

aubuti
2008-12-18, 07:05
You're right that you don't really need a pc with the Duet, or with any of the Squeezebox products, if all you want it for is streaming internet radio and music services such as Rhapsody. Most users have a pc running SqueezeCenter (SC) so they can play music from their own library, but I imagine there are a growing number who are doing it your way. I can see two possible ways to upgrade your SB Controller (SBC) firmware to enable playback on the SBC. Both will involve a pc at some point in the process.

Option 1) Install SC 7.3 on your pc and temporarily connect the SB Receiver (SBR) to your computer. Get SC to recognize the SBR and SBC, and you will be prompted to update the firmware on the SBC. SC will automatically update the firmware on the SBR. Then you can disconnect the pc from the SBR.

Option 2) Download the SBC firmware (I *think* the URL is http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/jive_7.3_r3476.bin and save it to a SecureDigital card. Install the SD card in the SBC -- the SD slot is under the battery, so you have to remove the battery cover, remove the battery, insert the SD card, and then replace the battery and cover. Reboot the SBC, and go to Settings > Advanced > Software updates and it should recognize the newer firmware on the SD card.

Which option is better for you is your call. An advantage of option 1 is that it updates the SBR's firmware as well, but I don't know how critical that is to you. Either option *should* work smoothly, but if you run into problems, just pop back here for more guidance, or call tech support.

FredFredrickson
2008-12-18, 12:32
Or... You can wait until they push the update through squeezenetwork, which is what you're already connected to. Don't know when it'll happen though.

GradualStudent
2008-12-18, 21:21
Aubuti, Fred - you're responses are just what I needed. Thanks so much!

I called Logitech tech support, and they said it will likely be pushed into production in a few months. And I am impatient and envious of folks who've invested time into learning these skills, so I will try downloading SqueezeCenter and updating the firmware. Fingers crossed... (it'll be a few days before I get the time but will report back)