PDA

View Full Version : Assuring legality of purchased online music

agentsmith
2008-12-16, 17:48
The DRM free downloading of uncompressed music is becoming more of a reality. I subscribed to eMusic crappy MP3 service since the beginning when they had unlimited download of poorly ripped 128kbps MP3. I have since bought lossless music or higher quality MP3s from various sources, including Linn, Magnatune, Amazon, DG, iTrax and others.

With the purchase of a Transporter hence the ability to play 24/96 files, I am now enjoying hires music that sounds better than ever. Too bad the only sources now are rips from my old DVA-Audio discs, some downmixed into stereo, plus a couple of downloads from Linn and iTrax.

Which brings me to the subject at hand. I am spending the amount equivalent to or more than packaged CDs. How can I be assured that all that music I purchased belongs to me? I retag and/or convert all the music I buy to suit my library, and I am not good at organizing all my online invoices. I have close to a TB of ripped and downloaded music.

If someone walks into my house and ask me to prove legality of all my music, how do I distinguish myself from a pirate? I can match one to one with the physical CDs I have which would be a pain. But what about the downloads without the packages?

I am not worried. Just wondering how all that investment is protected?

I do think that the price of downloaded music is a ripoff, since the manufacturer is doing away with the physical distribution channels and packaging. Makes me wonder whether they are penalizing the download customers with the assumption that these downloads will be shared/pirated.

jsprag
2008-12-16, 19:26
Unless you're sharing the music by some method, who would come and ask and why would they do so?

Did you save the receipt for your silverware? How about for your pillows? People generally don't have a problem with others coming in to their house and demanding proof that the contents are truly the rightful property of the occupant. I wouldn't worry about it.

pippin
2008-12-16, 19:36
Unless you're sharing the music by some method, who would come and ask and why would they do so?

Did you save the receipt for your silverware? How about for your pillows? People generally don't have a problem with others coming in to their house and demanding proof that the contents are truly the rightful property of the occupant. I wouldn't worry about it.

People also generally assume that when you buy something you are allowed to do with it whatever you like.
Music industry tries to give the notion that this is not the case for Music. For example in a lot of countries you are not even allowed to copy it for your own use when it has DRM.

Merlinwerks
2008-12-16, 19:54
With the purchase of a Transporter hence the ability to play 24/96 files, I am now enjoying hires music that sounds better than ever. Too bad the only sources now are rips from my old DVA-Audio discs, some downmixed into stereo, plus a couple of downloads from Linn and iTrax.

I'm sorry I can't offer any insight to your legality question, but since you mentioned it, maybe you'll find something to your liking here, HDTracks (http://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=staticpage&pagename=audiophile_96khz)...

JJZolx
2008-12-16, 21:48
Subject line is about a different topic, isn't it?

What you're asking is how do you prove that your downloaded music is legal when the jackbooted thugs kick your door down and threaten to confiscate all of your computers (which they'll do anyway until it all gets sorted out in 12-18 months).

I suppose if I worried about such things I'd make a very large effort to keep better receipts of any online music purchases. Printed out and kept in a safe deposit box at the bank.

agentsmith
2008-12-16, 23:24
I understand that the likelihood of somebody inspecting my hard disk is very remote. I am just curious since I paid real money to buy something from the ether, the same amount of money as the physical media. How am I different than people who pirate all their music except a clear conscience?

agentsmith
2008-12-16, 23:28
Maybe you'll find something to your liking here, HDTracks (http://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=staticpage&pagename=audiophile_96khz)...

Yes I heard about HDTracks. I also hear that it is US only. Will try to register to find out.

JJZolx
2008-12-17, 03:33
I understand that the likelihood of somebody inspecting my hard disk is very remote. I am just curious since I paid real money to buy something from the ether, the same amount of money as the physical media. How am I different than people who pirate all their music except a clear conscience?

You didn't.

agentsmith
2008-12-17, 05:18
You didn't.

Didn't do what?

pippin
2008-12-17, 05:29
Didn't do what?

pirate all your music

agentsmith
2008-12-17, 05:48
THe frustrating thing is most download and paid online radio sites are US or Europe only. Fortunately most hires music are independent and thus can be purchased from outside the US.

Too bad HDTRACKS is the exception. it does not allow outside US purchases. I heard you can get around it by buying with Paypal though.