PDA

View Full Version : nokia phone as a remote

dhinesh
2008-12-16, 09:24
Understand that a Nokia phone can be used as a remote for the squeezebox. Does anyone know how to do this? which Nokia phones can be used? running the squeeze center on the Ready Nas NV+ with the squeezebox 3.

ds2021
2008-12-16, 09:39
Any Nokia with wi-fi and a web browser could do this via the handheld skin (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_Overview#SqueezeCenter). This can also be done through the cellular data network (e.g., edge, 3g, evdo, etc.), but it would not be speedy enough to be valuable.

simbo
2008-12-17, 06:17
You could take a look at Salling Clicker - there are SC plugins for Mac and PC. They use Bluetooth to communicate with SC. I wrote the PC one but haven't touched it since I bought a Controller, self-centered git that I am. Not even sure if it still works with 7.3.

simonjedrake
2008-12-17, 11:08
Any Nokia with wi-fi and a web browser could do this via the handheld skin (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_Overview#SqueezeCenter). This can also be done through the cellular data network (e.g., edge, 3g, evdo, etc.), but it would not be speedy enough to be valuable.

Has worked a treat on my Nokia E71 for a long time.

lemonato
2009-01-20, 00:46
Has anyone found an alternative to simbos' salling clicker plugin? I don't have a wifi phone and don't really want to get a controller, but i really love the idea of controlling squeezecenter with bluetooth.

I'm even considering going back to the 6xx versions, although i don't know if thats possible.

Any ideas?

Uluen
2009-01-20, 02:19
I'm using the handheld skin on my N82, it works great!

lemonato
2009-01-21, 00:05
I'm using the handheld skin on my N82, it works great!

<sarcasm> Thanks, that really helps </sarcasm>

JadeMonkee
2009-01-21, 02:05

I think they were addressing the OP...
When you hijack a thread, you should expect replies to the OP, too.

simbo
2009-01-21, 03:56
Has anyone found an alternative to simbos' salling clicker plugin? I don't have a wifi phone and don't really want to get a controller, but i really love the idea of controlling squeezecenter with bluetooth.

I'm even considering going back to the 6xx versions, although i don't know if thats possible.

Any ideas?
Aww shucks, now I feel guilty. I wish I had time to get back to this - the issue is round the decomissioning of the old JSON plugin and the differences in the way the new one works. It requires me to rewrite the JSON layer of the script. If someone else wants to pick up the gauntlet let me know.

lemonato
2009-01-21, 04:15
@JadeMonkee

Sorry, i'm new here and usually people are more annoyed by newbs starting new topics than hijacking a seemingly dead thread which has roughly the same subject matter.

@simbo

Don't feel too bad. I don't know a thing about scripts, otherwise i'd give it a crack. Not to worry.

JadeMonkee
2009-01-21, 16:39
@JadeMonkee

Sorry, i'm new here and usually people are more annoyed by newbs starting new topics than hijacking a seemingly dead thread which has roughly the same subject matter.

I meant nothing by it. Didn't mean to be sharp.

Uluen
2009-01-22, 03:11
What a great way to introduce yourself /rolleyes

yairf
2010-03-09, 02:16
Just to bring back this old thread.
I'm using Nokia E75 with the standard SC handheld skin.
It works fine but I was wondering if there is there any nicer looking skin that is more easy to use?
Thanks,
Yair

hmaki
2010-03-11, 13:07
I'm writing a Squeezebox remote for N900 in Python + GTK. Tried first doing it in Python for S60 but it has so poor UI library (and rather limited Python bindings too) that I switched to Maemo. I'm thinking of publishing it once I've got the basic features working.

dave77
2010-03-11, 13:13
I'm writing a Squeezebox remote for N900 in Python + GTK. Tried first doing it in Python for S60 but it has so poor UI library (and rather limited Python bindings too) that I switched to Maemo. I'm thinking of publishing it once I've got the basic features working.

Have you considered doing it in QT as that will cover maemo and symbian?

indifference_engine
2010-03-11, 13:38
You could take a look at Salling Clicker - there are SC plugins for Mac and PC. They use Bluetooth to communicate with SC. I wrote the PC one but haven't touched it since I bought a Controller, self-centered git that I am. Not even sure if it still works with 7.3.
This sounds like it may be full of eastern promise and might give us non-iphone users something akin to ipeng. It also has the advantage of supporting lots of devices but could be limited by the host app. Are there any screenshots anywhere of this working on a previous release of SC? I don't know anything about java or JSON but I can only think that adapting this to run on SC7.4 s going to be a whole lot easier than writing an app from scratch. It's just a shame that I don't know how to do it!

simbo
2010-03-12, 04:58
This sounds like it may be full of eastern promise and might give us non-iphone users something akin to ipeng. It also has the advantage of supporting lots of devices but could be limited by the host app. Are there any screenshots anywhere of this working on a previous release of SC? I don't know anything about java or JSON but I can only think that adapting this to run on SC7.4 s going to be a whole lot easier than writing an app from scratch. It's just a shame that I don't know how to do it!
Sorry can't find any screenshots, but it looks similar to the one I made for MediaMonkey around the same time, which I have found a screenshot of (below). If I remember rightly, the title showed the name of the player.

The code is all in the download here (http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5567) if you (or anyone) fancies trying to update it.

bobkoure
2010-03-12, 06:09
I'm writing a Squeezebox remote for N900 in Python + GTK.Good going!
I was looking at developing for Maemo, but setting up the development environment was ridiculously hard. Days of fussing and still problems. Switched to Android and was building stuff in a half hour. IMO Nokia really fell down here.
I'd still rather be working in Python - my favorite language ever - and I'm an assembly/C guy from way back.
I've still got an N800 in a box somewhere, and would be glad to help - if I can get the dev environment setup. I'm hoping it's gotten lots easier in the last couple of years.

bobkoure
2010-03-12, 06:35
Have you considered doing it in QT as that will cover maemo and symbian?
There's a PyQT (http://pyqt.garage.maemo.org/) specifically for maemo.
Compared to Maemo, there's a huge number of Symbian smartphones out there. No idea how many have a screen worth bothering with, though.
I'm assuming you're using pysqueezecenter (http://code.google.com/p/pysqueezecenter/). If not, have a look - it's a python library encapsulating the SBS CLI. Looks pretty complete even though it's rev 0.6.

OK - I'm interested enough now to go look at setting up a Maemo development environment. Lookout wall - here comes my head, yet again... :)

hmaki
2010-03-12, 07:21
Yes, I was thinking of switching to PyQt once it gets more stable. But now that MeeGo has announced official support to GTK I'll perhaps just stick with it for the time being.

I'm coding with the Scratchbox in Ubuntu VirtualBox. I got it up and running pretty smoothly with the instructions given at maemo.org.

I'm too very fond of Python. This is my first project in Python and GTK too, so I'm learning all the time. I did also find pysqueezecenter but found it lacking some functionality so I've modified it quite a bit. Needed non-blocking requests, queuing requests, subscriptions to event notifications from the server. Also replaced telnet with bare TCP sockets.