PDA

View Full Version : Duet & Homeplugs

btooze
2008-12-16, 08:43
I have to move my Duet (currently connected wireless) into another room.

However, at the new location the signal strength is down to 30% and the signal drops out. I have therefore ordered a pair of Homeplugs which will hopefully resolve the problem.

Is there anything that I have to do to change my system from wireless to wired or will the Homeplugs be automatically detected.

Thanks,

Brian

kidstypike
2008-12-16, 14:54
I have to move my Duet (currently connected wireless) into another room.

However, at the new location the signal strength is down to 30% and the signal drops out. I have therefore ordered a pair of Homeplugs which will hopefully resolve the problem.

Is there anything that I have to do to change my system from wireless to wired or will the Homeplugs be automatically detected.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

I had the same problem when changing to Homeplugs, from a poor wireless signal setup. You'll need to install the homeplugs as per the manufacturers instructions then do this (courtesy of Radish):- Press and hold the button on the SBR until it flashes fast - this is a factory reset. Now go back through setup (with the ethernet connected) and you should get an option to connect to ethernet instead of wireless.

This got the receiver to work through ethernet, works well too!!

kidstypike

SadieKate
2008-12-16, 15:19
Good luck on those Homeplugs. I bought Netgear Powerline HDs that turn out not to work across circuits. This was mentioned no where in the product literature and Powerline won't take them back because they "work as advertised." They would only work in the same room with each other which caused me to ask "what's the point?"

It'll be a long, long time before I buy any other Netgear product as these are pretty expensive paperweights.

Hildebrandt
2008-12-17, 12:06
I use Amitech homeplugs (200 MBit) for the network at home (except wireless for laptop & Duet controller) and have no problem using them - the reciever doesn't see them, only HW ethernet connection...
True, all (!) homeplugs have problems when located on different circuits - i have one room that cannot be connected at all, but my router is in different room from reciever with no problem...

I changed my setup from wireless reciever to HW reciever as you are about to - follow the instructions above, they should work for you... If you want to check if the connection is ethernet or wireless go to SC -> Settings -> Status (?) here you'll find info on all units connected to SC. If info on your reciever contains info Re: wireless strength, you're connected wireless...
I made sure this wouldn't be the case by blocking the MAC address for the reciever (NOT the controller) in the wireless setup of my router...

good luck...

btooze
2008-12-19, 05:49
My Homeplugs arrived and worked straight out of the box.
Signal strength at 100%. Thanks for the help.

Brian