PDA

View Full Version : Deterioration of technical support

billingsgate
2008-12-15, 18:03
I knew it was inevitable when Logitech bought Slim Devices. Tech support would essentially disappear.

I truly enjoyed the immediate and personal support offered by Slim Devices back when it was an independent company. My problems were addressed by helpful engineers, or logged as bug reports. Things got fixed rapidly and satisfactorily.

Now? No f***ing way! I sent in a simple complaint about the new alignment of SqueezeNetwork menus, plus an issue about the SqueezeNetwork web page which preventes me from accessing Live365.

Five days later I get a message that because I happen to live in Hong Kong, my issue is being redirected to Logitech Asia-Pacific tech support.

Obviously no one even read my report. It has absoilutely NOTHING to do with my location. It has absolutely nothing to do with my hardware (which I bought in the USA, by the way).

So instead of actually responding to my simple report, now time is wasted shuffling user reports around the globe, far far away from the engineers at Slim Devices who can so simply and easily respond to my report by checking the SqueezeNetwork web page.

Likely I will wait another five days to get some sort of boilerplate cut-and-paste response. Want to bet the advice is: Uninstall and reinstall my SqueezeCenter software, reboot, flush my browser cache. I'll bet cold cash that's the reply I get.

Bring back REAL service. It used to be one of the best things which distinguished Slim Devices from every other company out there.

Mark Miksis
2008-12-15, 18:13
I'm certainly not going to defend the response you received...

But, IMO the best way to get something like this fixed is to go to bugs.slimdevices.com and file your own bug report.

iPhone
2008-12-15, 19:36
I knew it was inevitable when Logitech bought Slim Devices. Tech support would essentially disappear.

I truly enjoyed the immediate and personal support offered by Slim Devices back when it was an independent company. My problems were addressed by helpful engineers, or logged as bug reports. Things got fixed rapidly and satisfactorily.

Bring back REAL service. It used to be one of the best things which distinguished Slim Devices from every other company out there.

I can see your complaint, but other things have changed besides now having a parent company and maybe they need to be considered.
1) The user base has exploded since the release of Duet and Boom.
2) New Web browsers and new versions of old web browsers have come out (read more stuff to have to support and bugs to fix).
3) Additional equipment types to be supported in SC.
4) Sounds like Logitech is trying to increase service not decrease it if they are pointing you to a new support facility in your part of the world.

And Fletch makes a point, did you take the time to check to see if a bug report has been filed on your issue and if not, file one?

maggior
2008-12-15, 21:44
IMO the best way to get something like this fixed is to go to bugs.slimdevices.com and file your own bug report.

Amen Brother!

In all seriousness, he is right. I've had my fair share of issues and submitted a number of bug reports. Config and setup issues have all been resolved through this forum. Any bug reports that I've created have been fixed by the engineering team. I'm amazed to be honest.

In the future, I would say bypass tech support and go right to bugs.slimdevces.com and submit a bug report. That is if you are sure that you have isolated a real problem.

mherger
2008-12-16, 01:54
> But, IMO the best way to get something like this fixed is to go to
> bugs.slimdevices.com and file your own bug report.

When it comes to bugs - agreed. But please don't start abusing bugzilla as a support medium. There are already way too many "bugs" registered which are dupes, FAQs or simple support cases.

--

Michael

mherger
2008-12-16, 01:54
> In the future, I would say bypass tech support and go right to
> bugs.slimdevces.com and submit a bug report. That is if you are sure
> that you have isolated a real problem.

Exactly. Thanks.

--

Michael