X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aigonus
    • Dec 2008

How to add a new receiver? Pls help!!!

Hi all,
    Sorry for this (probably) stupid question but I don't really find appropriate info in the doc. I want to add a new receiver to my SqueezeBox Duet.
    I'm using pure wireless config.
    I have powered my second receiver, pushed the button until the red light is flashing and... nothing happens.
    Is the controller supposed to automatically detect this new receiver?
    Must I go somewhere in the menu of the Controller or use wired connection for that? This new receiver remains desperately invisible...
    Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Aigonus
  • Matt Wise
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aigonus
    Hi all,
    Sorry for this (probably) stupid question but I don't really find appropriate info in the doc. I want to add a new receiver to my SqueezeBox Duet.
    I'm using pure wireless config.
    I have powered my second receiver, pushed the button until the red light is flashing and... nothing happens.
    Is the controller supposed to automatically detect this new receiver?
    Must I go somewhere in the menu of the Controller or use wired connection for that? This new receiver remains desperately invisible...
    Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Aigonus
    You need to go to the "Choose Player" menu, wait a few seconds, and the new player should show up. If it doesnt, you may see an option "Set Up Receiver" that will search for it...

Comment

• markit
      • Dec 2008

same problem but a step further ...

The original poster of this thread either solved their issue very quickly (which could also have been achieved by reading the set up guide) or gave up. I have read the guide, this thread and others but I'm still stuck. And it's quite possibly an equally simple solution ...so will someone help ...

My new receiver is powered up and sweetly winking its red eye at me. My wireless router has accepted the receiver and I now want to control it from my controller. Only problem is, the "Choose Player" option is not visible on my controller's home screen. I can't find it in the settings either.

Apologies in advance if I'm missing something simple but I'm so deep in the woods now I'm not sure I know what a tree looks like ..

Thanks,
      Mark W

Comment

• Millwood
        • Jan 2006

First thing to try is to start from scratch again. That means resetting BOTH the receiver and the controller.

receiver by holding the button till it flashes QUICK red.

controller by navigating to advanced settings factory reset.

this is because the controller must speak to the receiver over its adhoc wireless connection to configure it. (I think)
        2 SB3, 1 Duet
        Debian Buster server LMS 8.3,0
        TP-Link AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Router wireless network.

Comment

• Zaragon
          • Dec 2007

Markit I'm a little confused here. If you've never set up the receiver before which the red blinking light suggests (or it's been defaulted) then it isn't configured yet to talk to your wireless network so can't understand your comment that it has been accepted?

Is this your only receiver? If so have you set up the controller yet as you have to do that first. If you have with the red light blinking on the receiver go to the Choose Player menu from your home menu press the <- until you get there or press the home/power button. The receiver should appear there to be selected.

Comment

• markit
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for input thus far. I could reset everything but that has to be a last resort, surely?

To answer Zaragon's points: I already had a duet, i.e. controller and player wired up and running just fine. I have just brought an additional player to create a similar set-up in another room.

My wireless network restricts access by only allowing selected MAC codes to access it. Thus by saying the receiver has been "accepted" my router's control pages show that the new player as an 'attached device' thus I know that there are unlikely to be network issues in making the new player work.

The documentation online, the instructions that came with the new player and just about everyone's advice is exactly as Zaragon puts it ...return to the home screen on the controller and select 'Choose Player'. Even I could do that ...but Choose Player is not there! See attached screenshot of my controller's home page (reached as per Zaragon's instructions).

Your collective thoughts much appreciatred ...

Comment

• Hildebrandt
              • Nov 2008

Network setup???

From the Duet User Guide:

"Solid red: Starting up.
              Slow blinking red: Waiting to be configured for your network.
              Fast blinking red: Factory reset in progress"

Looks like you have a networking problem... Your router accepts the new reciever??? Assigns IP to it???

Comment

• maggior
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by markit
                Thanks for input thus far. I could reset everything but that has to be a last resort, surely?

To answer Zaragon's points: I already had a duet, i.e. controller and player wired up and running just fine. I have just brought an additional player to create a similar set-up in another room.

My wireless network restricts access by only allowing selected MAC codes to access it. Thus by saying the receiver has been "accepted" my router's control pages show that the new player as an 'attached device' thus I know that there are unlikely to be network issues in making the new player work.

The documentation online, the instructions that came with the new player and just about everyone's advice is exactly as Zaragon puts it ...return to the home screen on the controller and select 'Choose Player'. Even I could do that ...but Choose Player is not there! See attached screenshot of my controller's home page (reached as per Zaragon's instructions).

Your collective thoughts much appreciatred ...

Have you power cycled the controller? Factory reset the controller?

I have found that some controller wierdness has been solved by factory resets, though others have said that missing menu items on the controller can be resolved by power cycling the controller.

I've only had to do a factory reset once, so it isn't like I've had to do it a lot.

Worth a try I think...

Oh, something else occurred to me. Under settings, you can control what appears in your top level menu. You might want to check that to ensure the menu item that is missing isn't disabled there.
                Last edited by maggior; 2008-12-20, 03:44. Reason: Suggest menu options too...
                Rich
                ---------
                Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
                Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
                http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Comment

• Millwood
                  • Jan 2006

Something isn't computing in your story.

AFIK, until the receiver gets told what SSID and security info to use, it can't connect to the wireless network. This chicken and egg problem is solved by having the controller talk directly to the receiver using adhoc networking to configure it. The receiver should be in adhoc mode until this happens, which is that the red light means.

You seem to be saying this configuration step never happened. In that case, I don't see how the receiver can really be associated with your network.
                  2 SB3, 1 Duet
                  Debian Buster server LMS 8.3,0
                  TP-Link AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Router wireless network.

Comment

Working...