PDA

View Full Version : Which product should I get?

allelopath
2008-12-15, 09:12
I want to stream Pandora (and other such streaming music) using firefox through my computer to my stereo receiver. Which squeezebox product will do this? Also, to consider, I have mac, windows and linux computers.

pippin
2008-12-15, 09:16
I want to stream Pandora (and other such streaming music) using firefox through my computer to my stereo receiver. Which squeezebox product will do this? Also, to consider, I have mac, windows and linux computers.

All of them.
Oh, except for a standalone Controller.

bpa
2008-12-15, 09:28
If your require "other such Streaming music" that is not supported by SqueezeCenter (SC) then you may need to run a plugin to reroute PC sound to SC. I know of solutions (e.g. WaveInput) for Windows and Linux. I am not sure if there is a OSX/Mac solution.

allelopath
2008-12-15, 09:52
All of them.
Oh, except for a standalone Controller.
All of them?
You mean i need:
Squeezebox™ Boom
Squeezebox™ Duet
Squeezebox™ Classic
Transporter.
Squeezebox™ Receiver

pippin
2008-12-15, 10:00
All of them?
You mean i need:
Squeezebox™ Boom
Squeezebox™ Duet
Squeezebox™ Classic
Transporter.
Squeezebox™ Receiver

Your question was

Which squeezebox product will do this?

All or any of the products you listed will be able to play Pandora with your Hifi as long as Pandora and an internet connection is available ;-)

jaysung
2008-12-15, 10:05
Well, you need either one of those you mentioned.
The have some drawbakcs and pros each being roughly the same device but with slight differences.
The all do pandora streaming.
But the boom does not stream via spdif neither coaxial nor optical.
The transporter is far too expensive if you merely do compressed music streaming formats
So remaining are the Squeezebox classic aka squeezebox 3.
Or the new and all shiny squeezebox receiver.
The latter has no display and though can only be controlled via network. That is to say via squeezebox controler which is a special remote with display to browse music collections from your easy chair.
When deciding for a squeezebox receiver you could as well use an iphone or note/netbook to control squeezecenter which in turn controls the squeezebox receiver.
The squeezebox classic has a display (bit small though) and an infrared remote like any other hifi unit would have.
So it is really up to you. I'd choose a classic / sb3 for it has
- infrared remote
- vfd display (small)
- spdif out optical and coaxial
- reasonable dac

You say you want to connect to a hifi. Well, then the boom is not for you. It has it's own speakers and amplifier.
All products have rca analogue outputs. So they will connect to your amplifier just fine.

Secret Squirrel
2008-12-15, 10:06
All of them?
You mean i need:
Squeezebox™ Boom
Squeezebox™ Duet
Squeezebox™ Classic
Transporter.
Squeezebox™ Receiver

I think they meant that all of the products except the Controller will meet your needs. (Many on the forum do have many different products within the line up.) It all depends on where you want to start. Boom is a self contained stereo that run on your network system, Classic and others interface with your existing stereo equipment. Transporter is the ultimate in network stereo equipment (In my and many others opinions.) Pick the one you like best. They all function using the same software! As a matter of fact you can download Squeeze Center and install their software player, Soft Squeeze, and try it all out. Search the wiki and the forum for more details on that.

Best of luck!

HTH,

SS

pfarrell
2008-12-15, 10:11
pippin wrote:
>> Which squeezebox product will do this?
>>
> All or any of the products you listed will be able to play Pandora with
> your Hifi as long as Pandora and an internet connection is available ;-)

The only SlimDevices products that can not do this are long obsolete.
The SliMp3 and SqueezeBox 1 could not do it. So if you buy used or on
eBay, make sure you have a current product.

And getting a Boom to do it is a bit silly, as it has a HiFi built in.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

allelopath
2008-12-15, 10:14
ok squeezebox classic then.
On pandora, I have many stations set up.
I will be able to log in and select my stations on the squeezebox classic?

bklaas
2008-12-15, 10:46
I will be able to log in and select my stations on the squeezebox classic?

Yes, absolutely.

Squeezebox Classic or Squeezebox Duet are the best fits for what you are trying to do.

cheers,
#!/ben

Mark Lanctot
2008-12-15, 13:02
I'm surprised everyone has missed this...

I want to stream Pandora (and other such streaming music) using firefox through my computer to my stereo receiver.

If that's really what you want to do, you need a long stereo audio or digital audio cable from your soundcard to your stereo. If that's what you really want to do, that is.

Why would you not want to do this? Well if your stereo is in another room you'll have no control over which songs play, thumbs up/thumbs down, etc. You'd have to run back to your computer for that.

The Squeezebox products aren't long audio cables, they offer a remote interface (remote from your computer, that is) to music. And for Pandora you don't need your computer on at all.

doninwny
2009-01-05, 21:18
Hi, Newbie here, awaiting my used Squeezebox purchased on ebay. Researching the forums and wiki reveals that Pandora doesn't work on v.1, but I haven't found an explanation why yet. Can someone tell me, I'd think by now there'd be at least a workaround for it????

Ben Sandee
2009-01-05, 21:47
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM, doninwny
<doninwny.3lkqfb1231215601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Newbie here, awaiting my used Squeezebox purchased on ebay.
> Researching the forums and wiki reveals that Pandora doesn't work on
> v.1, but I haven't found an explanation why yet. Can someone tell me,
> I'd think by now there'd be at least a workaround for it????

You're in luck. It's not a workaround though -- SqueezeCenter 7 added
support for Pandora for both the SliMP3 and SB1 devices. I just tried
it on my SliMP3 and it works fine. What these devices don't support
is the direct SqueezeNetwork connectivity which used to be required
for Pandora and other music services.

Ben