PDA

View Full Version : Problems Streaming radio stations

nvosni
2008-12-13, 23:22
Hi all,

I am new to Squeezebox and I am currently experimenting with the SoftSqueeze with plans to buy a Squeezebox Classic soon.

Trying to stream Greek radio stations and most of them do not play. It looks like it is connecting and 'playing' but no sound. From the SqueezeCenter it shows that it is playing but from the SoftSqueeze no action.

I am wondering why they don't play and if I will have the same problem when I buy the hardware.

Your help is appreciated

I am listing a few stations below as an FYI

Skai 100.3
File Format: Windows Media
Bitrate: 32kbps CBR (Converted to 705.6kbps ABR)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/StationPlaylist.axd?stationId=24726&username=nick26&PartnerId=16

Sfera 102.2
File Format: Windows Media
Bitrate: 32kbps CBR (Converted to 705.6kbps ABR)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/StationPlaylist.axd?stationId=16351&username=nick26&PartnerId=16

This one in comparison plays fine

Sok FM 104.8
Bitrate: 80kbps CBR
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/StationPlaylist.axd?stationId=78188&Formats=mp3,wma,real&username=nick26&PartnerId=16

bpa
2008-12-14, 01:29
Softsqueeze does not natively support WMA whereas the hardware player can play WMA natively.

What OS is your SC on ?

If your SC is on Windows, WMA decode for Softsqueeze is included. If your SC is on Linux or OSX then you will have install a 3rd party app to decode WMA for Softsqueeze.

nvosni
2008-12-14, 02:33
I have it installed on both Windows XP and Leopard.

Searching on other posts I have installed AlienBBC on both.

My main pc would Windows XP when I buy Squeezebox so I don't really mind if it does not play on my Mac.

But still on my PC it does not play. What other software I need to install on XP in order to play?

Also I read somewhere that Squeezebox has the codecs to play Windows Media streams. Is that true?

Thank you

bpa
2008-12-14, 05:10
Also I read somewhere that Squeezebox has the codecs to play Windows Media streams. Is that true?

As I said earlier the hardware player can play WMA natively.

The station you requested do not show up on my Radiotime on SC and when looking at the web site I don't think they are WMA stations - one looks like Flash.

Post the proper URL not Radiotime URL for the stations so they can be tested ?
What do you use on your PC to play these streams ?
Do they have a video component ?

toby10
2008-12-14, 05:28
All three play fine on hardware via SC7 > RadioTime > Europe > Greece

Skai = 32k, WMA
Sfera = 32k, WMA
Sok = 80k, MP3

bpa
2008-12-14, 06:19
What version of SC are you running ?
On SC 7.3 - the concept of locating stations by geography seems to have disappeared (i.e. no Greece only Greek) and with that category a lot of stations.

toby10
2008-12-14, 06:57
What version of SC are you running ?
On SC 7.3 - the concept of locating stations by geography seems to have disappeared (i.e. no Greece only Greek) and with that category a lot of stations.

I'm on Version: 7.3 - 23805

I presume you are on the latest SC7.3 version and it may have changed the RadioTime menu structure from my SC7 version, dunno. I aint updating any time soon. My last two SC updates caused complete WinXP system crashes during install process.

Searching within RadioTime via SC7 is a PITA. In fact, the "Search RadioTime" feature doesn't even give a space to enter search criteria (I'm assuming that's what is supposed to happen).

For simplicity and much faster searching I just go to the RadioTime web site, do a quick search, then add the selected station(s) to "My Presets". Then I go to SC7 > RadioTime > My Presets and test each stream. :)

nvosni
2008-12-14, 09:47
I am on SC Version 7.3. I get the stations following the link Internet Radio-> World->
Find a City->Europe->Greece.

The links that I have attached are from that location when I click on the the link fro the station. It looks like all SC utilized RadioTime for all the Greek stations, at least

What would be the patch for playing the stations through SoftSqueeze on XP?

Thank you for all your help and at list it is good news that plays the radio stations through the hardware.

Thank again

toby10
2008-12-14, 10:11
I am on SC Version 7.3. I get the stations following the link Internet Radio-> World->
Find a City->Europe->Greece.

The links that I have attached are from that location when I click on the the link fro the station. It looks like all SC utilized RadioTime for all the Greek stations, at least

What would be the patch for playing the stations through SoftSqueeze on XP?

Thank you for all your help and at list it is good news that plays the radio stations through the hardware.

Thank again

bpa will have to answer that. I've never messed with the software players.
But now that you know those stations are there and will play via your PC with your future SB3, go get the SB3 and you won't even have to mess with special WMA decoding stuff for SoftSqueeze. :)

nvosni
2008-12-14, 12:25
You are right but until Santa comes to town I was wondering if I can fix it....:-)

toby10
2008-12-14, 16:36
You are right but until Santa comes to town I was wondering if I can fix it....:-)

Now that depends on just which of Santa's lists you are on. :)

........unless there is a plugin to *transcode* the list....hmmmm....

bpa
2008-12-14, 16:50
Can you other WMA streams such as BBC World Service in Staff Picks/Most Popular

If the BBC WS doesn't work then it is a setup problem.

BTW Sfera URL is
http://sfera.live24.gr/sfera4132

JJZolx
2008-12-14, 18:04
I'm seeing intermittent problems playing WMA streams now. Some work, some don't. I have one that worked recently, where the radio station intro plays, the radio show information is display, and I even an image for the radio show. Then silence.

andyg
2008-12-14, 19:12
Can you please file a bug with stations that don't play properly in 7.3?

nvosni
2008-12-20, 10:04
Thank you all for your help.

Yesterday I bought a Squeezebox Classic and all stations are playing perfectly!

Thanks again.