PDA

View Full Version : Great use for Wireless Bridge Mode: Blu-ray players

muski
2008-12-12, 21:53
I just bought a Sony BDP-S350 blu-ray player and needed do to a firmware upgrade on it. There's an ethernet port on the back of it for this purpose (no wifi). So I am trying to figure out how I am going to drag my TV across the house to the nearest ethernet port. Then I remember something about a wireless bridge mode feature in my SB3. I plug an ethernet cord between the Blu-ray player and the SB3, dive into Network Settings turn it on, and sure enough it all works instantly.

I just love it when everything works the way you expect it to! Great SD engineering.

muski

mooblie
2008-12-13, 05:04
That's very interesting - I have a Yamaha AV receiver with an Ethernet port (wired-only, no WiFi) sitting next to my Wifi-driven SB2 - presumably the same trick will apply? and my Yamaha receiver can now go wireless? I must try that... Thanks!

twynne
2008-12-13, 06:02
Does anyone know if the Boom can also act as a bridge?

toby10
2008-12-13, 06:56
That's very interesting - I have a Yamaha AV receiver with an Ethernet port (wired-only, no WiFi) sitting next to my Wifi-driven SB2 - presumably the same trick will apply? and my Yamaha receiver can now go wireless? I must try that... Thanks!

I wouldn't even bother if I were you. The Yamaha Networking AVR's are pretty lame in Networking or Internet Radio use. I know, I have one. :)

I love Yamaha AVR's, I'm on my fourth one, but their Networking capabilities are downright laughable, especially compared to an SD device. :)

mooblie
2008-12-13, 06:59
I wouldn't even bother if I were you. The Yamaha Networking AVR's are pretty lame in Networking or Internet Radio use. I know, I have one. :)

I love Yamaha AVR's, I'm on my fourth one, but their Networking capabilities are downright laughable, especially compared to an SD device. :)

You're right - I have already used my Yamaha AV receiver's network capabilities - by wiring it up to the router - and that is what prompted me to get another SB2 from eBay and use that instead! I was just interested in the technical possibilities here.

toby10
2008-12-13, 07:17
You're right - I have already used my Yamaha AV receiver's network capabilities - by wiring it up to the router - and that is what prompted me to get another SB2 from eBay and use that instead! I was just interested in the technical possibilities here.

Yes, very true. Tinkering is half the fun. :)

I thought maybe you were going to try the Yamaha Networking for the first time with high expectations. It's quite a let down in it's *extremely* limited capabilities, but you know this.

Same here. AS klunky as Yamaha's Networking is, it did inspire me to look for alternatives as well.....and here I am.

The one Networking aspect Yamaha got right was it's ease in initial setup (connection to the router), albeit wired only. Absolute simplicity. But after that it's a big goose egg! :)

radish
2008-12-13, 09:22
Does anyone know if the Boom can also act as a bridge?

Yes it can. I use bridging for PCs, Tivos and game consoles around the house with great results.

twynne
2008-12-13, 12:18
Yes it can. I use bridging for PCs, Tivos and game consoles around the house with great results.

Thanks for clarifying. Might have a need for it one of these days. :-)