PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter 7.3 *FIRST IMPRESSIONS THREAD*

EnochLight
2008-12-12, 00:54
Didn't see one so I thought I'd share my initial experience:

* Took a while for me to get my Duet to switch from SqueezeNetwork back to my local computer after updating to SqueezeCenter. Didn't want to seem to find the Receiver for some reason, but after a couple of restarts of the Controller and Receiver, it finally connected and began updating the firmware to 7.3 r3476 without issue.

* I kind of miss the option of choosing where my libraries are located (during first setup), as I have a separate folder/drive for my archived CD's in FLAC and a separate drive for my iTunes library. That said, going into SC's settings, interrupting the initial scan, switching where they were located, and restarting the scan wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

* The ability to upload my own wallpapers and sound effects is *AWESOME*!!! Thank you so much for this customization option and an elegant interface through SC!

* The ability - even in beta - to *FINALLY* play audio via my Controller is *HUGE*!!!! Thank you so much - this is like getting a new Squeezebox at no extra charge! A battery operated one no less - VERY COOL! I was surprised at how well it sounded - even through the built-in speaker. That thing actually has decent fidelity and sounds leaps and bounds better than my iPhone speaker - AND LOUDER! Headphone output works excellent, though my jack is a little fiddly. That said I am using a quarter inch to 3.5 mm adapter for my studio headphones, so perhaps it's my adapter - will investigate further. Anyway, it sounds *GREAT* - the D/A in the Controller just sounds GREAT!!! Crossfade appears to work fine - tested at 8 seconds playing back mp3/m4a combos. Will add FLAC to the playlist and test that as well.

* iTunes album artwork all shows up - thanks for fixing that.

What can I say? Initial impression is very positive and I'm very excited about the audio via Controller - VERY COOL! I must say this is probably the most exciting update to SC since the 7.0 release IMHO.

Great job Slim Devices!

Cheers,

EnochLight

Ron Olsen
2008-12-12, 01:25
Does anyone know if the XM Radio plugin (http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6336&d=1227997374) works with the official 7.3 release?

Reports in this thread indicate that it didn't work with the 7.3 pre-release versions:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53275&page=9

Bytec
2008-12-12, 04:53
* The ability - even in beta - to *FINALLY* play audio via my Controller is *HUGE*!!!!

I disagree. Controllers DAC sounds BAD (aliasing etc, it's cheap).

I like SC v7.3 release, but I'm waiting for SC v8.0 with database engine change MySQL -> SQLite.

I run SC on a QNAP TS-109 NAS and I need SC to use resources as less as possible. SQLite would help.

bernt
2008-12-12, 06:28
Installed from Work over Hamachi\SSH console.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Done.

Connected with SqueezePlay and started playing music in less than five minutes.

Thanks everyone involved.

Skunk
2008-12-12, 06:48

If I'm understanding correctly what you're talking about is static during heavy bass notes, which I experienced on very early beta versions, and usually only when transcoding FLAC to mp3. What are your file types and/or transcoding details?

I haven't tried transcoding recently, but the native FLAC through the Controller's headphone out sounds exceptionally good to me. N.B. I don't have an ipod to compare.

peterbell
2008-12-12, 08:10
Didn't see one ....

Possibly because other people are finding the same as me ... the update just isn't available yet.

EnochLight
2008-12-12, 08:23
Does anyone know if the XM Radio plugin (http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6336&d=1227997374) works with the official 7.3 release?

Reports in this thread indicate that it didn't work with the 7.3 pre-release versions:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53275&page=9

I haven't tried the XM plugin yet, but will try to this weekend. My wife has a tuner so I'm sure she wont mind if I borrow her account.

Errr... what? Are we using the same Controller? I get no aliasing that I can hear - it sounds excellent on my end. I'm using a pair of $200 Audio-Technica studio headphones with a flat response. Mp3 sounds great (well, as great as Mp3 can sound) and my FLAC's played back fine; sounded great too. As for the DAC being cheap, I remember reading that there was a pretty decent one - for the price - inside the Controller. Just can't remember what kind it was.

If I'm understanding correctly what you're talking about is static during heavy bass notes, which I experienced on very early beta versions, and usually only when transcoding FLAC to mp3. What are your file types and/or transcoding details?

I haven't tried transcoding recently, but the native FLAC through the Controller's headphone out sounds exceptionally good to me. N.B. I don't have an ipod to compare.

Yeah I agree - when I playback audio on my Controller it sounds great - none of the aliasing mentioned nor any static. Do you know if it is decoding FLAC native or does it transcode SC-side first to the Controller?

Possibly because other people are finding the same as me ... the update just isn't available yet.

Hmmm - not sure what you mean. The update was available when I wrote this review - which is why I wrote it. *shrugs*

Cheers!

exile
2008-12-12, 08:26
7.3 is available and from my perspective it's the easiest upgrade I've ever done.

I downloaded the nightly yesterday, installed it, updated my erland plugins and then I was back up and running. no problems whatsoever.

I haven't tried it out much but all of my squeezeboxes work and my alarms went off this morning as usual so it seems as if the upgrade was very smooth.

Apesbrain
2008-12-12, 09:04
Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still works? Read that some people were experiencing problems with SS and SC 7.3 betas. Thanks.

Millwood
2008-12-12, 09:12
Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still works? Read that some people were experiencing problems with SS and SC 7.3 betas. Thanks.

Squeezeplay works, as a remote controller and in local play mode.

Millwood
2008-12-12, 09:17
This improvement hasn't been mentioned, but to me it's the most noticeable upgrade. I suspect it will make extensions available to a whole community of users who don't have the computer savvy to do it by hand.

A link on the extensions settings page to the wiki listing third party repositories would help, I think.

A better way to get the extension installed than server restart would also help the average user.

Mnyb
2008-12-12, 09:50
It's very nice i used the betas for a while now,

I'm fond of the improvements in the controller with it's latest firmwares.
The large cover art in now playing is an improvement.
The audio is nice when reading in bed.

I like the new way of adding plugins, i have a headless server.
And the added benefit of more plugin users, and not so computers savy users that just want's it to work, which would pressure plugin authors to refine their work to even higher realms of perfection ;-)

I only wished that SC could install mplayer faad lame etc for us on all platforms when needed and be configured to work on the target platform.
The end user should not hack scripts to play files ? maybe 8.0 .

I also like the custom background's it's cool

A word of caution. If your upgrade from a 7.3 beta bombs totally don't try to fix it just bite the bullet and do a clean reinstall.

This was my 7.3 install on CC4.2 linux:
upgrade=borked clean install=working very well thank you, no problems

Skunk
2008-12-12, 09:52
As for the DAC being cheap, I remember reading that there was a pretty decent one - for the price - inside the Controller. Just can't remember what kind it was.

Same one as the Receiver IIRC. Not that it matters much what brand name, as any limitation would seem to be the supporting circuitry. Then again some people go to great lengths to get a battery powered DAC...

Do you know if it is decoding FLAC native or does it transcode SC-side first to the Controller?
Not positive (searched the beta forum and didn't see an answer), but I'm pretty sure it's native FLAC. I doubt the default would be to send .wav over the network, and FLAC is much easier to decode versus encoding.

Bytec,
It would probably be worth following up on your problem in the beta forum if you don't get an answer here (audio playback is still in beta). Something AndyG mentioned trying way back in development was to try listening while the Controller is in the cradle (though the power save issue may have been fixed already). I hope you get it working because it really does sound good in my opinion.

Mick Seymour
2008-12-12, 10:06

Well, that's OK then.

I'll ask the original question again though as I haven't upgraded yet and use SoftSqueeze: Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still works?

signor_rossi
2008-12-12, 10:10
A word of caution. If your upgrade from a 7.3 beta bombs totally don't try to fix it just bite the bullet and do a clean reinstall.

This was my 7.3 install on CC4.2 linux:
upgrade=borked clean install=working very well thank you, no problems

I had no problems updating from debian unstable to stable, just changed my sources.list and did 'sudo apt-get update', then 'sudo at-get upgrade' and after waiting a few minutes all was working fine.
BTW, do I still have to compile sqeezeplay myself under Linux?

SignorRossi.

Skunk
2008-12-12, 10:21
Well, that's OK then.

I'll ask the original question again though as I haven't upgraded yet and use SoftSqueeze: Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still works?

Yes. It's what comes with SC 7.3.

andyg
2008-12-12, 10:24
On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Mick Seymour wrote:

>
> Apesbrain;369234 Wrote:
>> Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still works? Read that
>> some
>> people were experiencing problems with SS and SC 7.3 betas. Thanks.
>>> Millwood;369236 Wrote:
>>> Squeezeplay works, as a remote controller and in local play mode.> >
>>
>
> Well, that's OK then.
>
> I'll ask the original question again though as I haven't upgraded yet
> and use SoftSqueeze: Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still
> works?

Yes, Softsqueeze will still work, and is still included with SC.

andyg
2008-12-12, 10:25
On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:10 PM, signor_rossi wrote:

>
> Mnyb;369262 Wrote:
>>
>> A word of caution. If your upgrade from a 7.3 beta bombs totally
>> don't
>> try to fix it just bite the bullet and do a clean reinstall.
>>
>> This was my 7.3 install on CC4.2 linux:
>> upgrade=borked clean install=working very well thank you, no problems
>
> I had no problems updating from debian unstable to stable, just
> changed
> my sources.list and did 'sudo apt-get update', then 'sudo at-get
> upgrade' and after waiting a few minutes all was working fine.
> BTW, do I still have to compile sqeezeplay myself under Linux?

Yes, there are no plans to do a binary for Linux.

Saughassy
2008-12-12, 10:27
runs without problems, all fine

Mark Miksis
2008-12-12, 10:37

Really? That's too bad. I've been waiting for Tom to do a tarball build so I could start working on an RPM and Deb...

andyg
2008-12-12, 10:42
On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Fletch wrote:

>
> andyg;369295 Wrote:
>> Yes, there are no plans to do a binary for Linux.
>
> Really? That's too bad. I've been waiting for Tom to do a tarball
> build so I could start working on an RPM and Deb...

I could be wrong, but this is certainly an area where the community
could get involved (hint hint) ;)

Mick Seymour
2008-12-12, 10:48
Yes. It's what comes with SC 7.3.

On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Mick Seymour wrote:

> Can anyone confirm whether SoftSqueeze 3.7 still
> works?

Yes, Softsqueeze will still work, and is still included with SC.

Thanks for the confirmation both of you.

snarlydwarf
2008-12-12, 11:25
This improvement hasn't been mentioned, but to me it's the most noticeable upgrade. I suspect it will make extensions available to a whole community of users who don't have the computer savvy to do it by hand.

A link on the extensions settings page to the wiki listing third party repositories would help, I think.

A better way to get the extension installed than server restart would also help the average user.

Agreed: especially nice for things like Erlands Magical Toys (for lack of a better name). Downloading a half dozen plugins, all of which are incredibly useful and cool, is a pita for geeks, and probably worse for novices...

But I can't imagine living without them. The installer makes it easy to click the "download that and this and those" easy.

peterw
2008-12-12, 11:46
Really? That's too bad. I've been waiting for Tom to do a tarball build so I could start working on an RPM and Deb...

Watch the licensing for the SqueezePlay source. If Logitech isn't willing to make & distribute some binaries (not even i386???), then I don't think anyone can. Each Linux user would have to build his own -- you wouldn't even be able to distribute binaries in a "non-free" repository.

-Peter

signor_rossi
2008-12-12, 12:41
Building squeezeplay is not that hard (binaries for mayor distributions would be nicer of course), but is the wiki info still up-to-date, I couldn't checkout from
svn co http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/trunk/7.3/squeezeplay

SignorRossi.

EDIT: Nevermind what I said about checkout problems, I messed up, it's ../7.3/trunk/.. in the middle, not ../trunk/7.3/..

Mnyb
2008-12-12, 13:45
Building squeezeplay is not that hard (binaries for mayor distributions would be nicer of course), but is the wiki info still up-to-date, I couldn't checkout from
svn co http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/trunk/7.3/squeezeplay

SignorRossi.

Really ? i don't understand much ? the part about apt-get i do understand I can get that stuff installed on my Ubuntu desktop, I hope which repo btw ? is this standard on ubuntu ? do i have to add a source somehow ?

This is the build instruction i found:

"
Building on Linux
=================

This was tested using Ubuntu 6.10, using gcc 4.1.2

To build in ../../build/linux:
$ make -f Makefile.linux

## Requirements:

You will need to install the following packages using apt-get (for example "sudo apt-get install build-essential").

* build-essential
* flex
* bison
* subversion
* automake
* libtool
* libpng12-dev
* libjpeg62-dev
* libexpat1-dev
* libreadline5-dev
* xorg-dev

"

Where and how is what installed to begin with ? what is gcc, a c compiler ?
what is the dots ... should i guess where to put it ?
The Makefile command is executed from where in the file structure no clue ?
And how to uninstall and upgrade ?
To begin with in the wiki it says "use your local subversion client" and do some "svn co .." what happens when i do that ? what should i expect ?

Excuse my rant very much you all are very nice people, but I absolutely loath when people who already now how to do it, write instructions for people who also already know how to do things ( i encounter all kinds of manuals like this in my line of work).

Here is another one in the same class:

How to go to the moon:
1 Build rocket.
2 go to moon.

A Deb and a rpm is absolutely essential.
I do like Synaptic very much on my ubuntu desktop, I can have some kind of controll without being a guru on these things.

signor_rossi
2008-12-12, 14:43
@Mnyb
I will try to give you a direction, but do not expect too much since I am no expert and only mostly fiddling when dealing with compilation matters.
Installation is safe, since it downloads the sources to a local directory it creates named 'squeezeplay'. You execute the make command in the 'src' subdirectory of it. Just open an xterm, execute the 'svn co http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.3/trunk/squeezeplay' command, then 'cd src' to the 'src' directory and execute 'make -f Makefile.linux'. The executable you get is in 'squeezeplay/build/linux/bin' and called 'jive'.
Uninstall -> delete squeezeplay directory
Update -> check it out and compile again

As for the dependencies, install them via synaptic. If the compilation fails probably some are still missing (I tried compilation on opensuse just a moment ago and was still missing DirectFB and jack devel packages). If so, have a look at the output and the error message, it should give you a clue what is missing, search in synaptic what package could provide it and preferably install the devel package of it. Sorry I can't be more precise about the dependencies, report back when you are stuck.

SignorRossi.

Moonbase
2008-12-12, 15:04
I upgraded to the official 7.3 today and it seems that the automatic rescan (»Look for new and changed music«) CANNOT be aborted.

I’m frustrated since this used to take between 5 hours 30 minutes and 8 hours 30 minutes on a 1.8 GHz Win/XP machine (1 GB RAM) and I can click on »Abort scan« as often as I want, it doesn’t.

I changed almost all of my ~23.500 files in the meantime (added RG to all of them) so now I might have to sit for hours through a needless »check for new music« while actually wanting to do a »clean an rescan«. *sigh*

Did I already say that I just hate it if software tries to patronize me? Especially if it’s taking a real lot of valuable time.

snarlydwarf
2008-12-12, 15:14
I’m frustrated since this used to take between 5 hours 30 minutes and 8 hours 30 minutes on a 1.8 GHz Win/XP machine (1 GB RAM) and I can click on »Abort scan« as often as I want, it doesn’t.

I changed almost all of my ~23.500 files in the meantime (added RG to all of them) so now I might have to sit for hours through a needless »check for new music« while actually wanting to do a »clean an rescan«. *sigh*

Did I already say that I just hate it if software tries to patronize me? Especially if it’s taking a real lot of valuable time.

Hrrm... that is an incredibly long time for a rescan. Are you doing something odd? (MusicIP, iTunes, reading from a NAS for storage)?

Something seems wrong with your setup... my server is hardly a high quality machine, it's a bottom-end machine from Dell that is a couple years old. And it can scan a similar size library in 30 minutes or so.

jamie
2008-12-12, 15:16
Not sure what I'm not doing with it but 7.3 doesn't seem to be working on my Mac with Leopard. D/l, install all went fine but when I try to start from the pref pane as usual it won't get as far as allowing me to get the SC web page. Seems stuck at start server.
I've retreated to 7.2.1 to be able to listen to music. I'm sure it's something simple, just haven't had time to sit down and play with it yet. I don't usually uninstall the previous versions when I update but that'll prolly be my next step.
Suggestions welcome.

Moonbase
2008-12-12, 15:19
No other processes except MusicIP (but scanning folder and only checking for »mixable«) … oh well, yes, the browser now ;-)

I reckon its partly due to this old machine not having USB 2 but only USB 1.1. The music is completely on the external drive. Still the web interface seems extremely sluggish (was same before with the nightlies).

I know about the USB2 problem but currently have no other machine to use for testing than this one—unfortunetely all PCI slots are in use, so I can’t add a USB2 board.

Still it’s bad that the initial rescan for new music can’t be aborted. (Because I wanted to do a clean & rescan anyway).

Anyway, I’ll probably be happier in January. Then SC (and the music) will move to either a full-fledged Linux server or a dual-core Atom 1.6 GHz/2 GB RAM mini-server (pseudo NAS).

snarlydwarf
2008-12-12, 15:23
I reckon its partly due to this old machine not having USB 2 but only USB 1.1. The music is completely on the external drive. Still the web interface seems extremely sluggish (was same before with the nightlies).

Ouch. That explains it. USB1 made me cry, and actually is why I bought the cheapo Dell.

Moonbase
2008-12-12, 15:27
Ouch indeed … since not only SC needs to scan there, I have to put the music there, have MIP analyze it and so on … *crawl crawl*

Except for the USB stuff, this box is actually quite performant (for its age). Well, can’t be helped for now, I guess. Looking forward to getting the next Linux box … also a used, older one but surely faster.

The good advice for others from this: NEVER run your external music files disc thru USB1! It really sucks, speedwise.

Mnyb
2008-12-12, 15:42
I managed to install SqueezePlay .

Only hesitant to do it when nothing was explained (Thanks for that btw )like:

Apparently svn co.. creates a dir in your home folder on ubuntu. ok

You do the synaptic thing via sudo apt get and install all this strange things that do... whatever :-/

You go to src in the newly created dir and run the Makefile ok

This creates additional sub dir's such as /build/linux/bin/ where you find
the Jive exec which is SqueezePlay , Ok

Is this the expected outcome ? should SqueezePlay be installed in my home dir yes/no ?

No cute desktop icon ?

It works yes, good playing files and controlling my other players !, but only once ! now it won't connect to my server anymore.. well it is still beta ok.
removed password protection did not help.. was able to play music trough web UI ? even when SqueezePlay claimed it was not connected ? now it has crashed and sits there cannot stop it or close window.. next google after ways to kill processes in ubuntu..

snarlydwarf
2008-12-12, 15:47
Ouch indeed … since not only SC needs to scan there, I have to put the music there, have MIP analyze it and so on … *crawl crawl*

Except for the USB stuff, this box is actually quite performant (for its age). Well, can’t be helped for now, I guess. Looking forward to getting the next Linux box … also a used, older one but surely faster.

The good advice for others from this: NEVER run your external music files disc thru USB1! It really sucks, speedwise.

And don't try to do backups with a drive plugged into a USB1 port.

That's what nailed me. ("Oh, let's wait a day for the backup run to complete...")

MIP is painfully slow analyzing to begin with, USB1 would be super painful.

Mnyb
2008-12-12, 16:36
Managed to get SqueezePlay in Ubuntuto work again.

It can not handle servers with passwords, only once in the session when you type it in.
Restarting it and it will not connect.

After disabling passwd in SC

goto your hiden .squeezeplay/userpath/settings folder (observe the dot)
remove "HttpAuth.lua" .

Keep "HttpAuth.lua" somewhere else for now, i'm not sure if it's going to rebuild itself when needed later.

can I edit "HttpAuth.lua" what is the default content ?

Otherwise nice desktop controller fast .

Should emulate more buttons ?

No need to emulate the controller really, why not something completely different more lika a standalone desktop app, the basic's are in place nice to see that anyway it will probably improve greatly during 2009

Good work (now build that deb )

peterbell
2008-12-12, 19:46
Hmmm - not sure what you mean. The update was available when I wrote this review - which is why I wrote it. *shrugs*

Ooops, so it is. Something had modified my sources.list:

## Add Slimserver

##deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main
# deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main
deb http://ftp.hostrino.com/pub/ubuntu/archive/ intrepid-updates restricted main multiverse universe

Reverting back to the slimdevices server has sorted it.

PeterAndHisDuet
2008-12-12, 20:33
I had 7.2.1 installed on my Buffalo Linkstation HS NAS. It suffered from the "Blue Icon of Death", where the controller (SqueezeBox Duet) would lose connectivity with either SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork and would not work.

Anyway, after much fiddling around I was able to get SC 7.3 installed on my NAS and I must say the connection problems I have are now gone! It seems to work quite reliably, now.

A few other things I've noticed:
* The SqueezeCenter process on my NAS now uses less memory than the 7.2.1 process, but it seems to take more CPU.
* Reading iTunes/AAC files no longer works. I've confirmed I have FAAD/FLAC/LAME all installed and working and this used to work, so would suggest that something broke there.
* Although it successfully scanned my library faster than before, it does not register any Artists - ie: Artist count is 0, although Track count is > 7500.

All in all, it seems to be working far better than 7.2.1 and the controller playback is a pretty handy feature. Although I have to install new transcoders on my NAS, as it doesn't support WMA playback directly.

Anyway, there's my experience with SC 7.3.

radish
2008-12-12, 21:24

Why not just throw in a USB2 card? - or an internal drive would be even better :)

ashimmin
2008-12-13, 05:09
A whole collection of problems forced me to revert to 7.2.1.

1. No longer able to scan forward through a podcast

2. No longer able to successfully attach to http://a.b.c.d:9000/stream.mp3

3. No longer able to hear sound with AlienBBC on my SlimP3 although it seems to work fine on SqueezeBox and SoftSqueeze

4. Not able to listen to LastFM radio (although this is presumably due to SqueezeNetwork 500 errors)

Juggler
2008-12-13, 05:16
Just upgraded to 7.3 on Ubuntu. Since upgrading, I am no longer able to listen to AAC files or http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.asx. I looked at my convert.conf file and there has been no change from 7.2.1 (i.e. AAC is entered to be transcoded to faad).

Any ideas? I tried restarting SqueezeCenter, but still no playing.

Moonbase
2008-12-13, 05:41
Why not just throw in a USB2 card? - or an internal drive would be even better :)
Unfortunately, all PCI slots are in use … and no more internal drive bays free … otherwise I’d love to :-)

bpa
2008-12-13, 06:08
I looked at my convert.conf file and there has been no change from 7.2.1 (i.e. AAC is entered to be transcoded to faad).

There is a change - look at the top of the conf file to see the new streaming directive that have to be used. Syntax of directives is very strict.

something like

# Transcoding for AAC files.
mov flc * *
# F
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 --endian little --sign signed --channels 2 --bps 16 --sample-rate 44100 -

mov mp3 * *
# FB:{BITRATE=-B %B}
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ $BITRATE$ -r - -

mov wav * *
# F
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$

soefi
2008-12-13, 06:46
7.3 keeps starting but doesn't realy start.
on xp
I used 7.2.1 and now that version also do not start when I put it back.

Soefi

Chippy
2008-12-13, 06:56
With 7.3, when using an Internet radio station as an alarm, the sound does not fade in.

Already logged as bug 10060 during 7.3 beta testing, but now confirmed on the official release.

Chippy

Juggler
2008-12-13, 09:21
There is a change - look at the top of the conf file to see the new streaming directive that have to be used. Syntax of directives is very strict.
Does this mean that the old .conf files are no longer valid? Since I told SqueezeCenter to keep the old rather than included the new default one, should I grab the new one and modify to include the code you've written? Is this documented somewhere?

andyg
2008-12-13, 09:28
On Dec 13, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Juggler wrote:

>
> bpa;369722 Wrote:
>> There is a change - look at the top of the conf file to see the new
>> streaming directive that have to be used. Syntax of directives is
>> very
>> strict.
> Does this mean that the old .conf files are no longer valid? Since I
> told SqueezeCenter to keep the old rather than included the new
> default
> one, should I grab the new one and modify to include the code you've
> written? Is this documented somewhere?

convert.conf has completely changed, you should never modify the
default convert.conf and always update it.

If you have your own custom-convert.conf, you will need to update that
to the new syntax.

pablolie
2008-12-13, 12:28

Is this for the beta, or for the final prodcut verion, too? That would be unfortunate.

I am curious about the installed base % between windows, mac and linux. Anyone know if there are published stats on the matter? Based on activity in the Linux forum I have the imprssion more and more first time users are trying to use Linux for their media servers.

pablolie
2008-12-13, 12:33
...seems to be hard to do in 7.3, I am messing around with it (right now under Windows Vista 7.3 while playing Squeezeplay) and can't select more than one player in the main window (choose player -> synchronize) or under settings->player->synch...

arkadi58
2008-12-13, 12:50
Yesterday, may ReadyNAS NV told me that there was a new version of SC available, 7.3,
so I upgraded. Next, my internet radio stations wouldn't work anymore (unknown file
type!), things like http://asx.skypro.ch/radio/internet-128/drs2.asx.

Editing favourites is impossible, it displayes one station and plays another one
(same on Receiver, Boom, and SoftSqueeze). today, looking at this forum, I am
not alone. 7.3 is complete bullshit! What's this thing about convert.conf? I don't
want to know. I cannot edit files on the readyNas; I use the web interface. Nothing
unusual there.

I just reinstalled 7.2.2 from the nightly builds. Still behaves funny, but at least
I get my radio stations back.

You really need to to do better than this!
Let me know when there is a new version that received at least some amount of testing,
before I waste more of my time.

Juggler
2008-12-13, 13:12
convert.conf has completely changed, you should never modify the
default convert.conf and always update it.

If you have your own custom-convert.conf, you will need to update that
to the new syntax.
Where can I find examples of the new syntax? I am looking for playing AAC files on Ubuntu (with faad/lame).

thanks,
J.

bpa
2008-12-13, 13:52
Where can I find examples of the new syntax?

convert.conf

I am looking for playing AAC files on Ubuntu (with faad/lame).

See post #43 in this thread.

brucegrr
2008-12-13, 14:24
I am a three year user .........and 7.3 was the worst install experience ever. I installed over the previous version and the end result was a Squeezebox that was dead. Squeezecenter recognized the Squeezebox.......but nothing on the Squeezebox end.

Fixing this required a complete uninstall and a clean install.

After getting everything up and running I went to the player settings to change the menu. Upon clicking menu.......I had the same problem all over again.

The error log had the following message and I can repeat this error message every time I click menu in player settings:

[08-12-13 03:01:03.1534] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Not a HASH reference at /<E:\PROGRA~1\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.ex e>Slim/Buttons/Home.pm line 897.

Once again the only way to fix this was a complete uninstall and a clean install. The only plugin I was using is SuperDateTime.

So my setup is fine again......but I am hestiant to change any settings for fear of having to reinstall again.

Bruce

Here is the thread for the problems I had:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56308

Rob Stone
2008-12-13, 15:20
The install of 7.3 went without a hitch and is a very nice upgrade, not the least of which is the importing of art work from iTunes. Everything loaded without a problem, except the following: select the album of choice and it displays the artwork and the track list. Select the first track and then select play, it displays the artwork and the first track and proceeds to play. However, if you select the second track and select play the artwork disappears. Or if you select the album and hit play, the first track has the album art and tracks 2 through X have the gray quarternote displayed. I am running Mac OSX (10.5.5.). Any thoughts?

Rob

dhull
2008-12-13, 16:08

No, 3.7 doesn't work, at least not fully. It's broken for Sirius Radio and won't sync anymore with another player. Sadly, the replacement for SoftSqueeze (SqueezePlay) has many audio glitches and will stop playing too often to put up with.

I see some nice things in 7.3, but I will have to wait until there is a software player that works with it.

pablolie
2008-12-13, 16:45

something like

# Transcoding for AAC files.
mov flc * *
# F
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 --endian little --sign signed --channels 2 --bps 16 --sample-rate 44100 -

mov mp3 * *
# FB:{BITRATE=-B %B}
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ $BITRATE$ -r - -

mov wav * *
# F
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$

In my case, when installing this in Ubuntu 8.10, the installation process asked me nicely if I wanted to update my convert.conf, and since I had just struggled with getting iTunes files to play, I answered "no". And *now* I read convert-.conf has totally changed? Shouldn't there have bbeen a bit more of a warning? Now I have to check if something broke because I kept the old stuff. I am sure the intention was great.

andyg
2008-12-13, 17:05
On Dec 13, 2008, at 6:45 PM, pablolie wrote:

>
> bpa;369722 Wrote:
>> There is a change - look at the top of the conf file to see the new
>> streaming directive that have to be used. Syntax of directives is
>> very
>> strict.
>>
>> something like
>>
>>>
> Code:
> --------------------
>>>
>> # Transcoding for AAC files.
>> mov flc * *
>> # F
>> [faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-
>> level-0 --endian little --sign signed --channels 2 --bps 16 --
>> sample-rate 44100 -
>>
>> mov mp3 * *
>> # FB:{BITRATE=-B %B}
>> [faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q
>> $QUALITY$ $BITRATE$ -r - -
>>
>> mov wav * *
>> # F
>> [faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$
>>
> --------------------
>>>
>
> In my case, when installing this in Ubuntu 8.10, the installation
> process asked me nicely if I wanted to update my convert.conf, and
> since I had just struggled with getting iTunes files to play, I
> answered "no". And *now* I read convert-.conf has totally changed?
> Shouldn't there have bbeen a bit more of a warning? Now I have to
> check
> if something broke because I kept the old stuff. I am sure the
> intention
> was great.

You should never keep an old convert.conf. Perhaps the choice of file
extensions was bad here, since it's not designed to be edited by the
user. That's what custom-convert.conf is for.

Same goes for types.conf and modules.conf.

Max F
2008-12-13, 17:12
I like that you can now ffwd even with streaming wav files.

What I don't like is that when playing random mix, the artwork for the upcomming songs (web gui for IE7 and Chrome) is wrong for many of the songs. Also, wrong thumbnails for the albums in New Music. Finally, my XM radio plugin is broken, but that's to be expected. I'm really thinking about going back to the 6.X with my SB3 since things seemed to worked better on the web gui and I can fix the volume for the digital out only (leaving the analogue adjustable).

raaurora
2008-12-13, 22:06
both SC and the controller updated with no issues. everything works great.

Nautilus
2008-12-14, 04:45
Hi there,

I thought that the upgrade to 7.3 went pretty smooth, but now when looking at the server log I see this:

__________________________________________________ _____________________
2298: [08-12-14 13:06:07.1127] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (146) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out: , retrying in 300 seconds
2297: [08-12-14 13:05:06.7273] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::PrefSync::_syncD own_error (359) Sync Down failed: Error on HTTP socket: , will retry in 3115058
2296: [08-12-14 13:05:06.4847] Slim::Utils::Firmware::downloadAsyncError (534) Warning: Firmware: Failed to download http://update.squeezenetwork.com/update/firmware/7.3/jive_7.3_r3476.bin (Connect timed out: ), will try again in 10 minutes.
2295: mDNSResponderPosix: Error reading service file /volume1/SqueezeCenter/Cache/mDNS.conf
2294: mDNSResponder: Note: DNS Server 192.168.1.1 for domain . registered more than once
2293: [08-12-14 13:04:20.3387] main::checkDataSource (909) Warning: Schema updated or no tracks in the database, initiating scan.
2292: [08-12-14 13:03:40.6496] Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (423) Couldn't load Slim::Plugin::MyRadio::Plugin. Error: Plugin is incompatible with this version of SqueezeCenter. Please update.
2291: [08-12-14 13:00:12 ] ssctrl SqueezeCenter started.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

What might be the reason for this? And as a side note, the controller firmware did not update (yet) at all. Could I do something to fix those errors?

Thanks!

edit: well I now noticed that it has downloaded the correct jive but on the controller it still says only "It may take a few minutes to update to version ?." Well, maybe I'll just wait for the rescan to be over and try restarting squeezecenter...

PBA
2008-12-14, 12:30
as usual ...

Nautilus
2008-12-14, 13:46
Hi there,

I thought that the upgrade to 7.3 went pretty smooth, but now when looking at the server log I see this:

Well ok, I got around most of the errors listed in the previous message by restarting squeezecenter and the controller a couple of times - now it works quite like I expected it to do.

One problem/question though. It said in the controller release notes that when you plug in headphones it should automatically switch player to the controller. Problem is that mine doesn't and in fact, it doesn't seem to recognize the headphones at all... Even if I switch manually the player to be the Controller and plug in the headphones the music still keeps coming out of the built in speaker (and nothing from the headphones). Does this mean I have a defective Controller unit (headphone jack broken?) or could it just something to do with the new firmware?

Rob Stone
2008-12-14, 14:33
Upgrade to 7.3. went fine except that when I select an album, the artwork is displayed for the album and the first track, but not the subsequent track. Any thoughts?

Rob

maggior
2008-12-14, 15:54
I'm using a Linux version of SC (see my sig).

I did the update and found that SC would not come up. I could not connect via the web page and listing the running processes just showed mysql - no squeezecenter. I went into the cache directory and deleted the mysql directory and all of it's contents...then everything came up OK.

I just gave it a quick spin - but I'm pretty excited about the controller as a player!

Hopefully everything else is OK after the upgrade.

socistep
2008-12-14, 16:39
I've just updated SC to v7.3 and has worked well, I'm running Ubuntu v8.10 and it all went smooth.

I've not had a full look at the functionality as yet but went straight to the Audio playback for the Duet controller and I have to say its fantastic...thanks to all involved in the development/testing for this !!!

Ian

Max F
2008-12-14, 18:41
I like that you can now ffwd even with streaming wav files.

What I don't like is that when playing random mix, the artwork for the upcomming songs (web gui for IE7 and Chrome) is wrong for many of the songs. Also, wrong thumbnails for the albums in New Music. Finally, my XM radio plugin is broken, but that's to be expected. I'm really thinking about going back to the 6.X with my SB3 since things seemed to worked better on the web gui and I can fix the volume for the digital out only (leaving the analogue adjustable).

Nevermind. Just the same Mcafee virus scan problem. Disabled realtime scanning during the music scan and all is good. I wish I learned I had this problem for the past 2 years. Oh well, nice update though. Thanks for enabling ffwd in wave streams!

maggior
2008-12-14, 21:18
Managed to get SqueezePlay in Ubuntuto work again.

It can not handle servers with passwords, only once in the session when you type it in.
Restarting it and it will not connect.

I'm having the same issue with the Windows version. I just downloaded the current version this evening (12/14).

I'm really growing weary of the issues with the controller and now it's software emulation related to server passwords. I'm off to bugzilla to see if this has been reported already.

For me, this is a showstopper at this point.

Bug submitted:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10330

Oddly enough, after disabling the password, blowing away everything in %APPDATA%\squeezeplay, and reenabling my password, it now works. I'm going to isntall on a machine that has never had squeezeplay installed to see if the behavior replictes. As of now, I can't get it to fail, though it was a consistent failure in the beginning.

aubuti
2008-12-14, 21:28
...seems to be hard to do in 7.3, I am messing around with it (right now under Windows Vista 7.3 while playing Squeezeplay) and can't select more than one player in the main window (choose player -> synchronize) or under settings->player->synch...
As you've noticed, the sync interface has changed. You need to add them one at a time. So, for example, while controlling Player A, tell it to sync to Player B (eg, in web ui select Player B and press "Synchronize"). Then go back to synchronize and you'll see that one of the radio buttons has "Player A, Player B", which shows that they are sync'd. Then select Player C and press "Synchronize". Repeat as necessary.

Yes, it probably seems clunky, and it did to me at first as well. Part of the motivation for the change was that different SB hardware had different logic for sync'ing to another player. This is an attempt to make it uniform whether you're using the Classic remote, the Duet Controller, or the web interface.

aubuti
2008-12-14, 21:30
I am curious about the installed base % between windows, mac and linux. Anyone know if there are published stats on the matter? Based on activity in the Linux forum I have the imprssion more and more first time users are trying to use Linux for their media servers.
Maybe, but for a lot of them the *server* is running Linux, but their day-to-day desktop is still Windows or OSX, and that's what they would run the SqueezePlay client on.

Mnyb
2008-12-14, 21:55
I'm having the same issue with the Windows version. I just downloaded the current version this evening (12/14).

I'm really growing weary of the issues with the controller and now it's software emulation related to server passwords. I'm off to bugzilla to see if this has been reported already.

I got it to work now, I use password now. I had a real adventure when building SqueezePlay on my ubuntu desktop, It had more dependencies than described in the install note.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10313

and

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56313

Yeh I'm a linux n00b, live and learn.

Can we have that deb (and rpm) now, please

There is no Squeezenetwork chioce in Music source for SqueezePlay other wise working good nice.
Theres some functionality missing, but squeezeplay is still beta so we see.
Developing the desktop skin to something more, is obvious (hint hint ) can this be done by the comunity ?
The existence of said desktop skin is big hint in that direction ;-)

Moffedille
2008-12-15, 07:54
I just tested 7.3 on my laptop running Ubuntu 8.10. It seems mp3 streaming (opening http://hostname:9000/stream.mp3 in a media player app) is broken in 7.3.
I think I'll wait for a bugfix release before upgrading from 7.2.1 on my server...

maggior
2008-12-16, 10:34

Bug submitted:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10330

Oddly enough, after disabling the password, blowing away everything in %APPDATA%\squeezeplay, and reenabling my password, it now works. I'm going to isntall on a machine that has never had squeezeplay installed to see if the behavior replictes. As of now, I can't get it to fail, though it was a consistent failure in the beginning.

I've replicated this behavior on another machine in my house. Another machine didn't replicate the problem. This seems to be an intermittent issue.

If you experience this problem, vote for the bug sumitted above.

claws
2008-12-16, 16:12
I upgraded from 7.2.1 to 7.3 on a OSX 10.5.5 Mac Mini yesterday without issue. My music library is stored off on a ReadyNAS NV+.
The initial scan completed and firmware was updated on all players. Once that was finished music selection and playback worked fine on all players (SB, Boom, Receiver, Controller), internet radio worked fine, favorites worked fine. Boom's alarm kicked off this morning without issue.

First impressions are ... all good.

I have not checked if I have the artwork issue people are reporting.
I have not connected to SN yet, I rarely use that anyway.

I like the pictures of the player type next to the player name on the Controller 'Choose Player' menu. It certainly helps my wife turn on the correct SB in our son's room.

I've been waiting for this relaease for ages so that I could use the Controller as a player also. That worked fine too.

Thanks for the new release and new functionality.

SamS
2008-12-16, 20:17
I updated to 7.3 on Windows Vista. Everything went smooth.

However, I must be an idiot, because I can't figure out how to try out Squeezeplay. Can someone help?

I use Softsqueeze, and like the fact I can control it via the standard SC interface. I don't want to browse via a virtual remote or use keyboard shortcuts. I can find my artist or song simply by clicking within SC to start what I want playing. Is Softsqueeze going to "act" like another player a la Squeezeplay and let me continue to do this?

MDSmith
2008-12-17, 06:23
Folks:

I seem to be the lone dissenter here!! Upgraded to 7.3 and firmware 70 for the Transporter. It is no longer possible to turn on / operate the device via a remote ONLY via SqueezeCenter. While it seems a lot of posts are happy with the new SC (and it is nice) - my current status is problematic at best.

The upgrade appeared to go smoothly. I am on Windows XP and the Transporter is connected via Ethernet.

Help / suggestions are appreicated - Michael

Millwood
2008-12-17, 08:03
Make sure you don't have any obsolete plugins.

ericpeude
2008-12-17, 08:26
Does 7.3 work with Windows Home Server

Thanks.

Eric

MeSue
2008-12-17, 09:25
Does 7.3 work with Windows Home Server

Yes. I have been running it on WHS since late November (beta) and now have the official release.

TiredLegs
2008-12-17, 12:23
I suspect that Linux users are far more likely than the average Mac/PC owner to post in an online forum for a techie product.

Maybe, but for a lot of them the *server* is running Linux, but their day-to-day desktop is still Windows or OSX, and that's what they would run the SqueezePlay client on.
Personally, I use a Linux-based NAS as a media server. I couldn't care less what OS it runs, as long as I can load Squeezecenter on it.

x-transporter
2008-12-17, 12:54
Because I can not play anymore asx streams since 2 days I have decided to install the version 7.3 :

- One of my favourite plugin is missing : "Shoutcast" plugin is missing (not present in settings)
- asx streams doesn't work (it works with winamp)
(http://www.tv-radio.com/cgi-bin/tagger.pl?tag=site&metafile=courtoisie/courtoisie-20k.asx)

aubuti
2008-12-17, 13:28
Personally, I use a Linux-based NAS as a media server. I couldn't care less what OS it runs, as long as I can load Squeezecenter on it.
Right, but what does that have to do with whether or not there is a Linux binary of the SqueezePlay client?

skanberg
2008-12-17, 23:58
Hi!

I upgraded from 7.2.1 to 7.3 and now I can't play most of my web radio stations. Here are some of the log messages in server.log:

[08-12-18 06:19:46.7296] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (70) Error: Error executing 'INSERT INTO playlist_track (playlis
t, position, track) VALUES (?, ?, ?)': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint
fails (`slimserver/playlist_track`, CONSTRAINT `playlist_track_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`track`) REFERENCES `tracks` (`id`) ON DELE
TE CASCADE) at /usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.
[08-12-18 06:19:46.7413] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (70) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 70)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 773)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 788)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::insert (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 75)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::Row::insert (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/PK/Auto.pm line 43)
frame 5: DBIx::Class::PK::Auto::insert (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 1335)
frame 6: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::create (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Playlist.pm line 108)
frame 7: Slim::Schema::Playlist::_addTracksToPlaylist (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Playlist.pm line 45)
frame 8: Slim::Schema::Playlist::__ANON__ (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 584)
frame 9: (eval) (/usr/share/squeezecenter/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 572)
frame 10: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Playlist.pm line 46)
frame 11: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Playlist.pm line 39)
frame 12: Slim::Schema::Playlist::setTracks (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Playlist.pm line 861)
frame 13: Slim::Player::Playlist::modifyPlaylistCallback (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 2070)
frame 14: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 2070)
frame 15: Slim::Control::Request::notify (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 846)
frame 16: Slim::Control::Request::checkNotifications (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 520)
frame 17: main::idle (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 486)
frame 18: main::main (/usr/sbin/squeezecenter-server line 1048)

and

[08-12-18 06:20:23.1569] Slim::Player::Song::open (341) Error: Couldn't create command line for wma playback for [mms://lyssna-w
m.sr.se/autorec/p4/dist/srp4riks_2008-12-14_230459_3302_w4.wma]

I'm using version 7.3-sparc-readynas. Everything worked perfect in 7.2.1.

/Fredrik

mherger
2008-12-18, 01:50
> I'm using version 7.3-sparc-readynas. Everything worked perfect in
> 7.2.1.

Netgear offer a cleanup tool which should help you get SC up and running
again:

http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.01/Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0.bin

Michael

skanberg
2008-12-18, 02:10
Thanks for your reply, I will try that.

But I found in another thread that WMA streams is broken in 7.3, is that correct?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56700

/Fredrik

bpa
2008-12-18, 02:14
Have you tried 7.3.1 nightly - I think there was a fix created on 12-Dec-2008 for some ReadyNAS convert problems.

TurnipFarmer
2008-12-18, 04:46
upgraded this morning for my SB3 and seems to be no problems. My web radios seem to work ok.

Got one question though I thought it was meant to connect to Itunes to get the album art is this true?

amatala
2008-12-19, 18:40
I upgraded to version 7.3 yesterday and what should have been an easy upgrade became a major pain because of a silly mistake on my side.
I run SqueezeCenter on a dedicated Windows 2003 server with 4GB of memory and I am using a customized version of the my.tt file in order to boost the MySQL instance (larger caches, larger buffers, more worker threads and so on...).
Unfortunately I didn't notice that the format in which the port parameter is specified in the my.tt file has changed between SqueezeCenter 7.2 and 7.3, so after the upgrade I put back my customized version of my.tt with the wrong port specification... As a result of this the MySQL service kept on aborting and the SqueezeCenter service kept on hanging on startup...
Anyway, after a couple of hours I eventually found the problem and corrected it and all is OK now.

First impressions are good - scanner works as good as before, performance is the same as in 7.2 - it takes about 16 minutes to do a full clean and rescan of the 23500 flac files in my library which is quite good.

I am also happy I have managed to use the new MusicIP plugin functionality to read only the mixable status from MusicIP without having to configure SqueezeCenter to rely completely on the MusicIP library which was painfully slow. There are a couple of known bugs related to MusicIP integration for files with special characters in the name, but I solved them by replacing the MusicIP plugin with the version included in the latest 7.3.1 nightly build.

So the result is very satisfactory, all is running smoothly now.

Yannzola
2008-12-20, 11:45
Just updated to the official 7.3 (from an older beta) and all went well. Love the new ability to play music directly from the Controller! The only downside is that my older beta Controller bit the dust when I tried to update it's firmware. Now it won't even start up. Oh well... it was a freebie anyway.

haunyack
2008-12-20, 21:36
Kiss.

The final straw.
I'm outta here.

azaz44
2008-12-22, 03:04
I love it. The setup went fine, and the only option I was waiting for is there and works - this is possibility to switch Boom speakers on, while still having headphones connected. I was actually switching to subwoofer mode before and having frequencies below 100 Hz cutted off, so it is a nice change now :)

robroe
2009-01-08, 14:21
Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed with 7.3, I've finally got MusicIP and iTunes integration to play nice together, many thanks.

The only thing that doesn't appear to be working as advertised for me is the iTunes artwork integration. Does this take place during the full scan? I've done a clear and rescan to no avail. I'm running on Windows XP with SqueezeCenter running as a service if that matters.

Kuben72
2009-01-11, 05:31
I upgraded to 7.3.2 yesterday and it took me 10 minutes and everything worked as it should.
But I think that the synchronisation is a bit confusing. Wouldn't it have been possible to make it possible to synchronize both ways? When I want to to synchronize to players I always think that the one I am controlling right now is the master. Which is the opposite of what it is now.

notanatheist
2009-01-14, 01:32
Oh good, I didn't have to start a thread. So, just updated to 7.3.2 via apt. I got a little shocker when I clicked on a players properties and it had a picture of the model in question!! Very nice. Even knew the difference between the SB2 and the SB3 as well as my SqueezeBoom. That's slick.

Other than that I haven't noticed any other new features. I stick with the classic skin too since I personally find the green one fugly.

stefanor
2009-01-15, 09:30
Hi all,

after upgrading to 7.3.1 i'm not able to view anymore shoutcast plugin in the web page and also on my squeezebox boom.

I read in other posts that shoutcast plugin was rewritten completely in 7.3 train.

In 7.3.2 change log I didn't find reference about bugs fixes for this; is it amy installation problem?

thanks

toby10
2009-01-15, 11:40
Hi all,

after upgrading to 7.3.1 i'm not able to view anymore shoutcast plugin in the web page and also on my squeezebox boom.

I read in other posts that shoutcast plugin was rewritten completely in 7.3 train.

In 7.3.2 change log I didn't find reference about bugs fixes for this; is it amy installation problem?

thanks

I think you do have ShoutCast, it just moved. :)

SC7 > Internet Radio > More Radio > ShoutCast

You can bring the entire ShoutCast service "forward" on your system by making the entire ShoutCast service a Favorite.

stefanor
2009-01-15, 13:05
I think you do have ShoutCast, it just moved. :)

SC7 > Internet Radio > More Radio > ShoutCast

You can bring the entire ShoutCast service "forward" on your system by making the entire ShoutCast service a Favorite.

Thanks a lot! You are right.....probably I confused menus :-)

Bye and many thanks

rp9197
2009-01-18, 08:54
I've been a happy Slim user since I bought my first Squeezebox2. I have since bought two Squezzebox3's and a Transporter. I've had nothing but fairly minor problems over the years that have been handled well by tech support. That is until I bought a controller and updated to 7.1.............and now 7.3.1.

I haven't had many happy listening experiences for over a month now since that upgrade to 7.1. The same exact system sync'ed my four players through every version of 6.5 without a problem. I haven't used my controller for weeks and that still hasn't cleared things up.

I've written about my woes and problems in other threads. I have contacted Slim tech support numerous times. They have opened numerous bugs. I started with bug #259, then #10436, and this has been broken into #1080, 1081 and 1082. My first impression of 7.3 is that it has given me nothing but grief. Many nights later that is still my impression. It has exhausted me. I have gone from loving my system to wondering about selling it all thanks to 7.3. I've waited a while to post something like this but I have had it.

This has been my experience. As you can see by reading this thread it's working fine for a lot of people. I envy you because I am a stone cold music junkie. Having my music constantly interrupted and spitting and sputtering is just a nightmare. A lot of folks on these forums I would assume to be the same. I think a lot of them may also be really into computers which I am not.
This is why I've sort of hesitated from posting on the forums. It seems that there is a very high level of computer expertise from a lot of folks here. I have health problems and can't be sitting and typing for long periods of time. Music is about the only thing that could get me to type what I have since these problems have started. Maybe one of the other server/systems are more up my alley, I'm just sort of thinking out loud here. When the problems hit it just seems like your either very computer literate or you just can't get anywhere. Even Slim customer service tends to assume that you know your way around your computer. It's like calling your mechanic or writing him and diagnosing a problem.

Kuben72
2009-01-18, 12:12
Have you tried 7.2.1? In my experience it was a far more stable and reliable version than 7.3.x. Actually after the first joy over a good upgrade I must admit that it is more buggier than I imaged. Is not that it don't work at all but there are a lot of small bugs that screws things up.
After having a lot of problems with the SBC loosing its connection I found a way to get it a fixed ip-address and then it went from unstable to stable. I haven't had connection problems for 4 days now. But the other smaller bugs is still there. So right now I'm thinking about downgrading to 7.2.1 because everything worked there.

simonjedrake
2009-01-18, 12:19
I've been a happy Slim user since I bought my first Squeezebox2. I have since bought two Squezzebox3's and a Transporter. I've had nothing but fairly minor problems over the years that have been handled well by tech support. That is until I bought a controller and updated to 7.1.............and now 7.3.1.

I haven't had many happy listening experiences for over a month now since that upgrade to 7.1. The same exact system sync'ed my four players through every version of 6.5 without a problem. I haven't used my controller for weeks and that still hasn't cleared things up.

Did you miss out on 7.2.1. That was a really stable version which corrected many of the 7.1 bugs. I am still running it having downgraded from 7.3.1. You are correct with the current 7.3.x issues which I see most have now been resolved in the latest 7.3.3 beta's.
IMO I would get a copy of 7.2.1 and then wait until the next 7.3.x is officially released. After all the pre-xmas issues when 7.3 was released too early I bet that the next release will be pretty good - much like 7.2.1 was after the early 7.1 issues.
Simon

rp9197
2009-01-18, 13:46
I have seen 7.2.1 mentioned as the best version. It looks like I tried 7.1.2, 7.2, 7.3 and then 7.3.1. This means I tried every version but the best one (of course!). They have fixed bug#10681 for me as of an e-mail sent on 1/15. So I guess the question is should I downgrade to 7.2.1 or try (I guess it would be the nightly build?) that fixes one of my big problems?

Maybe I'm wrong but if seems like there are a lot of folks running older versions because of problems with the current version. I would love to see everyone that has had any problems at all to post them in this thread and elsewhere with bugs etc. It looks like this thread has over twelve thousand views. I would think the point of the thread is to get a wide range of opinions on the latest and greatest version of the software. Reading the thread now doesn't seem to reflect the number of people and the severity of the problems with the latest and greatest.

Thanks for your replies and advice,
Ron

andynormancx
2009-01-19, 04:30
The problem is that with every single new version of the software there are always some people who find that the new version appears to be worse than the previous version they were running. In some cases their belief that the new one is worse may be justified, in other cases it probably isn't (it is instead down to issues with their environment or just their perception of how the new version compares to the old).

It makes it very difficult to read these forums and actually work out whether there really are issues with a new version. It doesn't help that many people who believe that version x is worse than version y manage to develop a seemingly religious zeal about it :(

Not that any of this is specific to Squeezebox, you find this same pattern in just about every product specific forum on the net.

Kuben72
2009-01-19, 09:33
That maybe true. But I can actually document it. You see I have a VMWARE image with SC on and I have tried to set up a version 7.2.1 on it and on my real server I have SC 7.3.2. If I remove my static ip on the SBC and change between those to servers I can actually see the difference in their behaviour. So it is not all made up in my mind.

mkanet
2009-01-19, 15:48
I just "upgraded" to SqueezeCenter 7.3 from 7.2. However, something changed in the Sirius Radio plugin since version 7.2 to break Sirius Radio playback from the SqueezePlayer client (even using the distributed version that comes with SqueezeCenter 7.3). Is this a known issue? Can someone please confirm this? Once I get confirmation, I can submit a bugzilla bug report.

Edit: I did a search on this thread and found that this is indeed a problem. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=370055&postcount=55

I just posted a bug report on bugzilla. I'm hopeful there will be a nightly build soon to fix this bug.