PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hard Drives

SlimChances
2008-12-11, 13:06
Here is an interesting article on Flash Hard Drive technology. Perhaps quieter computers are becoming more feasible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/technology/personaltech/11basics.html?_r=1&nl=tech&emc=techa1

Howard Passman
2008-12-12, 08:35
I use a small drive to store my OS and SC on. My logic is I can back it up only as often as I make changes on those applications and because it's small, it backs up quickly and defrags quickly. The drop in prices for SSD are great, but you need to make sure the one your looking at is really better than your average, everyday HD. Some aren't all that fast so you give up performance over noise. I'm not an expert, but I think you still need to spend a fair amount to get a usable size and performing SSD. For me, I could drop all of my files on one with less than 15GB and be happy. The music files on the other hand.......well, that will be a while :-)

Howard

peter
2008-12-12, 08:57
SlimChances wrote:
> Here is an interesting article on Flash Hard Drive technology. Perhaps
> quieter computers are becoming more feasible.
>
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/technology/personaltech/11basics.html?_r=1&nl=tech&emc=techa1
>

That's a great development. I wouldn't mind having one of those in my
laptops. OTOH, my laptop makes very little noise as it is, I don't think
I ever heard the hard dtive. IMHO real storage for music and movies (I
just skipped the whole DVD thing) is best done on a big server tucked
safely away in a place where no-one can hear it scream. ;)

Regards,
Peter

tamanaco
2008-12-12, 09:29
If money is not an issue and you want to eliminate disk latency while booting your server you might want to consider one of these
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/11/fusion-ios-iodrive-tested-worlds-fastest-storage-confirmed/

maggior
2008-12-12, 09:43
I use a small drive to store my OS and SC on. My logic is I can back it up only as often as I make changes on those applications and because it's small, it backs up quickly and defrags quickly. The drop in prices for SSD are great, but you need to make sure the one your looking at is really better than your average, everyday HD. Some aren't all that fast so you give up performance over noise. I'm not an expert, but I think you still need to spend a fair amount to get a usable size and performing SSD. For me, I could drop all of my files on one with less than 15GB and be happy. The music files on the other hand.......well, that will be a while :-)

Howard

A cheap alternative to SSDs for booting your OS are USB flash drives. My OS for my slimserver boots Linux from an 8GB USB flash drive that I paid $25 for at Staples. I have 6GB left on the drive. You can get 16G USB flash drives cheaply too. I'm not sure how Windows would run on a USB flash drive though.

Performance really isn't an issue since all of my data is on the hard drive and the USB drive isn't really hammered. It started out as an experiment, but it has worked out great. It's been up and running for a month now.

With this configuration, the 2 SATA ports in my system are dedicated to 1TB drives holding just data - no need to waste one on a small HD to boot the OS.

peter
2008-12-12, 10:51
tamanaco wrote:
> If money is not an issue and you want to eliminate disk latency while
> booting your server you might want to consider one of these
> http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/11/fusion-ios-iodrive-tested-worlds-fastest-storage-confirmed/
>

For the once-a-few-months the thing is rebooted it doesn't seem worth
the money. Thanks.

X.

Howard Passman
2008-12-12, 14:30
A cheap alternative to SSDs for booting your OS are USB flash drives. My OS for my slimserver boots Linux from an 8GB USB flash drive that I paid $25 for at Staples. I have 6GB left on the drive. You can get 16G USB flash drives cheaply too. I'm not sure how Windows would run on a USB flash drive though.

Performance really isn't an issue since all of my data is on the hard drive and the USB drive isn't really hammered. It started out as an experiment, but it has worked out great. It's been up and running for a month now.

With this configuration, the 2 SATA ports in my system are dedicated to 1TB drives holding just data - no need to waste one on a small HD to boot the OS.

I tried to do that with a san disk CF card, but somehow they stopped you from doing it on all relatively recent cards. I have a SATA interface for s CF card, do you have any suggestions for making it work? Again, I don't think it will work with Sandisk cards.

Howard