PDA

View Full Version : A rant about resetting the SBR

El Callado
2008-12-11, 08:53
I use my Duet in "hybrid" mode: the Receiver is connected to the wired network, and the Controller to the wireless network. The other day, the Receiver spontaneously dropped off the network. I hadn't changed anything, but it no longer had an IP address and neither the Controller nor SqueezeCenter could see it. The LED was blue. After a hard reset, it was flashing slow red and the unit still didn't have an address.

The Controller was working normally, as far as I could tell. The firmware was up to date, but as a test I reinstalled it. No problem, but no improvement either.

I was able to get the Receiver working again by doing a hard reset on the Controller. But I don't consider this a satisfactory resolution of the problem. For one thing, there was nothing wrong with the Controller; the Receiver was the problem. The only reason why I had to reset the Controller was to be able to get to bridge mode and the Receiver setup menu. I don't see why I shouldn't have access to that menu without having to wipe all my settings, including a full-strength, random WPA2 password that I had to re-enter using the scroll wheel -- a miserable experience. How often is this going to happen? And why can't I back up the settings and restore them in bridge mode, without having to re-enter the password by hand?

End of rant.

Millwood
2008-12-11, 09:18
Went through the same nuisance when I redid my network security. Configured controller, discovered receiver needed to be reset, and had to reset controller as well, loosing all customization!

Bah humbug.

ayates
2008-12-11, 10:43
I will third this. You need to be able to get into receiver setup mode on the controller without reseting the controller. I just had to go through this as well (I shortened my wireless password to make it more paletable :)).

Not having a specific function to set static IP addresses on the controller and receiver is along the same lines.

Allan.

El Callado
2008-12-12, 01:23
The other day, the Receiver spontaneously dropped off the network.

It happened again when I installed SC 7.3. This time I fixed the receiver using Net-UDAP. An ugly hack, but a lot better than resetting the Controller.

Howard Passman
2008-12-12, 07:52
By any chance are you turning off your receiver using the SBC and not a power strip or something similar? I've noticed that I will have occassional issues if I power down the SBR by unplugging it before I shut it off with the Controller. With the SBR connected to a UPS I never "discover" the issue when I get home. If I don't have it on a UPS I make sure to turn it off with the Controller when I'm done lsitening and then unplug it or power down the power strip it's hooked to. I don't have any weirdness since I started doing that.

Howard

El Callado
2008-12-12, 08:14
By any chance are you turning off your receiver using the SBC and not a power strip or something similar?

I never turn it off, but it's possible that a power glitch could have the same effect.

Howard Passman
2008-12-12, 08:20
I never turn it off, but it's possible that a power glitch could have the same effect.

That's my theory :-) Where my SBR sits most of the time, it is plugged in to a UPS and I never have an issue. Recently, I have it in the basement to listen to while I run on my treadmill (normally use the SBC, but can't get Rhapsody so sometimes I don't). I always make sure to turn it off with the Controller before I turn off the power strip down there and again, no issues for a while.

The SBR compared to the rest of the SB's is a little persnickity :-)

I hope I'm right and it works for you guys.

Howard