PDA

View Full Version : No Windows Home Server Support??

wiredsol
2008-12-10, 13:12
I was Minutes away from purchasing a Squeezebox Duet when a blogger informed me that you cannot access music files stored on NAS servers. All my music resides on a HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home Server platform. My collection size pushed me to a server based solution. Is this not the way we are going folks? Slim/Logitech does not support this? Is there anyone out there who has had any luck or found a work around? My bubble has been burst - what a disappointment.

MeSue
2008-12-10, 13:24
SqueezeCenter works fine on the HP MediaSmart. There are several folks here in the forum who use it, including myself.

wiredsol
2008-12-10, 13:26
Thank You,what a relief.

ModelCitizen
2008-12-10, 13:29
Is this not the way we are going folks? Slim/Logitech does not support this? Is there anyone out there who has had any luck or found a work around? My bubble has been burst - what a disappointment.
Your mate is wrong.....

MC

MeSue
2008-12-10, 13:29
You just need to install it via remote desktop, but that is no big deal. I think you will really enjoy it. Having the MSS has really simplified things for me since I'm not running SC on the same PC I do my work on anymore.

What was the blog that told you it wouldn't work?

RichNY
2008-12-10, 17:25
Have HP Media Smart Server (WHS) and SC 7.3 wont finish "starting" although 7.2x ran fine.
Anyone else have the same problem? Wonder if this is a memory issue.
Am going to do the 2gb memory upgrade within next few days.

MeSue
2008-12-10, 18:40
Have HP Media Smart Server (WHS) and SC 7.3 wont finish "starting" although 7.2x ran fine.
Anyone else have the same problem? Wonder if this is a memory issue.
Am going to do the 2gb memory upgrade within next few days.

I installed yesterday's 7.3 nightly and it took a long time to launch--at least 10 minutes--but eventually it did start on its own. My MSS has 1 GB ram.

Wait, scratch that... now that I think about it, I remember having to start it via the services console. Took 2 tries, also. I have not tried restarting the whole server yet to see if it starts after a reboot.

mherger
2008-12-11, 00:38
> I installed yesterday's 7.3 nightly and it took a long time to
> launch--at least 10 minutes--

Anything interesting in the server.log file?

Michael

gbruzzo
2008-12-11, 02:44
I was Minutes away from purchasing a Squeezebox Duet when a blogger informed me that you cannot access music files stored on NAS servers. All my music resides on a HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home Server platform. My collection size pushed me to a server based solution. Is this not the way we are going folks? Slim/Logitech does not support this? Is there anyone out there who has had any luck or found a work around? My bubble has been burst - what a disappointment.

Windows Home Server is a variant of Windows SMB Server 2003. You treat it as you would any Windows machine on your network. To install Squeezecenter you only need to remote desktop into it, then run it as a service. What does not exist is a Squeezecenter plugin for the Windows Home Server Console.

Having had both Linux based NAS and a WHS, I find the latter much much much easier to run, in particular when it comes to Squeezecenter. Bear in mind, WHS machines tend to have much more powerful CPUs and RAM (mine runs an ATOM 330 with 2 gb RAM).

regards,

Giacomo

bonze
2008-12-11, 02:45
No problems with SC7.3.24273

Nothing in the log, (except the usual Error: 'missing string WELCOME_TO_CONTROLLER')

Did the 'blogger' specifically say that it can't be run on a WHS?
Or just that music can't be accessed from a NAS?

mherger
2008-12-11, 03:18
> Nothing in the log, (except the usual Error: 'missing string
> WELCOME_TO_CONTROLLER')

"usual"? I wasn't even aware of it... should be fixed in tomorrow's build.

Michael

Moonloop
2008-12-11, 03:43
I have an HP 475 Smartserver running latest 7.2 . The only thing that bugs me is that when ( as last night ) the server downloads and installs updates and restarts it does not restart SC which means the 'blue glow of doom ' on my bedroom Duet and a blank screen on my SB3 downstairs even though 'Start at log in ' is selected !

Other than that , only problems are tagging related ..

~M~

bonze
2008-12-11, 04:07
> Nothing in the log, (except the usual Error: 'missing string
> WELCOME_TO_CONTROLLER')

"usual"? I wasn't even aware of it... should be fixed in tomorrow's build.

MichaelApologies if you didn't know, I thought I or someone had posted about it before.
Although I can't find any reference to it in a search.....

bonze
2008-12-11, 04:11
I have an HP 475 Smartserver running latest 7.2 . The only thing that bugs me is that when ( as last night ) the server downloads and installs updates and restarts it does not restart SC which means the 'blue glow of doom ' on my bedroom Duet and a blank screen on my SB3 downstairs even though 'Start at log in ' is selected !

Other than that , only problems are tagging related ..

~M~Do you have SC set as a Service?
Start Menu > Programs > SqueezeCenter > SqueezeCenter Startup options

Take the option to start SC automatically.
Username & Password can be left blank.

MeSue
2008-12-11, 08:12
> I installed yesterday's 7.3 nightly and it took a long time to
> launch--at least 10 minutes--

Anything interesting in the server.log file?

Michael

I don't know, but I installed last night's build and it started fine this time.

Moonloop
2008-12-11, 12:47
" Do you have SC set as a Service?
Start Menu > Programs > SqueezeCenter > SqueezeCenter Startup options

Take the option to start SC automatically.
Username & Password can be left blank."

Thanks for that , Ill check when I get home . I havent knowingly set it to run as a service unless it somehow did it itself but I will investigate

~M~

awm1
2008-12-12, 13:32
Would someone mind detailing the steps to get the boom to recognize my hp home server? (step by step- 'dummy proof!')Will I need to upgrade the memory?
It appears I need to go to the remote desktop of the server and install the latest version of sc? What else must be done? Does it 'find' the itunes music?
Thanks
awm

bonze
2008-12-12, 15:45
Would someone mind detailing the steps to get the boom to recognize my hp home server? (step by step- 'dummy proof!')Will I need to upgrade the memory?
It appears I need to go to the remote desktop of the server and install the latest version of sc? What else must be done? Does it 'find' the itunes music?
Thanks
awmThere's a couple of links from this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52775

awm1
2008-12-12, 16:38
THANKS BONZE- I think step one will be more memory into the whs!
awm