PDA

View Full Version : Performance of Controller via Ad-Hoc connection to wired ethernet

krikor
2008-12-09, 14:12
I've seen a couple of references (including the Duet owner's manual) stating that performance is reduced when using the Controller via an ad-hoc connection to the Receiver connected to a wired ethernet network.

What is this reduction in performance? Slower or jittery browsing? Poor response to commands?

Also, what is the approximate range of the Controller from the Receiver when using an ad-hoc connection? If I get a Duet, I'm going to be also using it to control 3 other SB3 players that I already own.

Thanks.

Howard Passman
2008-12-09, 15:21
I've seen a couple of references (including the Duet owner's manual) stating that performance is reduced when using the Controller via an ad-hoc connection to the Receiver connected to a wired ethernet network.

What is this reduction in performance? Slower or jittery browsing? Poor response to commands?

Also, what is the approximate range of the Controller from the Receiver when using an ad-hoc connection? If I get a Duet, I'm going to be also using it to control 3 other SB3 players that I already own.

Thanks.

I hope others will chime in here, but when I first bought my DUET I was Hell bent on running it Ad Hoc. It never worked well and had about 1/4 the range as it does through my router. I believe it's only meant for up close use (same room).

I get about 200' with my router to my Controller.

Howard

mhughes
2008-12-09, 22:00
I run ad-hoc with a wired connection. I don't use a wireless router. The receiver is in my basement. Normally the controller is on the 1st floor about 30' from the receiver. But it also works on the 2nd floor about 60' away. I seem to get good signal strength and the remote works fine.