PDA

View Full Version : Duet Receiver STATIC IP

jvanhambelgium
2008-12-09, 07:03
Hi,

I only found 2 threads on static-ip on this forum but no clear final statement regarding that issue I found yesterday.
I wanted to change to fixed IP (*NOT* handed out anything through my wireless router, so no IP reservations based on MAC-addresses)

I'm running a "bridged" setup wich works fine ; my Duet receiver is WIRED and my controller is AD-HOC WIRELESS connected to my receiver.

When I factory reset both my controller & receiver I appears it *NEEDS* DHCP to work ? When going through the setup of the controller, it "fails" on getting an IP through DHCP and ends up with a 169.x.x.x address. (I never have the option to put a static address in there). My RECEIVER tries to obtain through DHCP and if I disable the DHCP-server the LED remains BLUE (cannot obtain DHCP IP) and thus I can never use it.

Could someone clarify this ?
I'm running 7.2 software.
Does this receiver-box requires any *SETUP* or is the setup-routing on the remote solely for the *REMOTE* part ? Where the heck do I fix an IP for the receiver box ?

Thanks& regards,
Jan

Howard Passman
2008-12-09, 15:31
What are the chances there is another wirless router within range of your set up? I had a similar issue when I first set up my DUET and it was a second router interferring with it because it was set up to issue addresses.

Set up your controller to use a wireless network (not ad hoc) and see if it sees more than one router.

You may also try not using bridged. Never worked for me at all.

Howard

jvanhambelgium
2008-12-10, 01:20
What are the chances there is another wirless router within range of your set up? I had a similar issue when I first set up my DUET and it was a second router interferring with it because it was set up to issue addresses.

Set up your controller to use a wireless network (not ad hoc) and see if it sees more than one router.

You may also try not using bridged. Never worked for me at all.

Howard

Hi, thanks for replying.
There are no other wireless routers around, I only get mine.

Actually, this bridged setup works flawless and seems actually more responsive then before.
My controller had sometimes issues "waking up" and associating again with the wireless router to communication to my SqueezeCenter sometimes "stalled" for like 15seconds or more. This bridged setup always indicated > 95% signal strenghts and fast respons.

I will experiment with the perl-script to set some RECEIVER settings (like "dhcp or static" choices, and then manually entered lan IP/DNS/gateways etc)

Jan

brigader
2008-12-12, 10:21
Hi guys,

I have had the unit a week, and have had a few issues, like the duet controller not seeing the receiver etc, and I was also frustrated that I could not set up a static ip on the receiver, and I was getting frustrated as the controller was not always finding the receiver which is using a wired ethernet connection. I did recently upgrade my router firmware to a beta version, so that may not have been helping, as it would appear that the controller and the receiver were not always getting IP addresses.

Well I decided to do a factory reset on the controller, even though i had dhcp setup on the router the controller did not get an IP address, this time when I connected to my wirless network, the controller asked if I wanted to try again to get a DHCP address, or assign a static address ;-) I setup a static address did this, and then when I set up the squeezebox it asked me again if I wanted to setup a static address on the squeezebox, which I did. ;-)

So now I have both my controller and receiver on static IP addresses.

I will do further testing over the weekend, as I really want this system to work well, as i do not really want to be purchasing the sonos, which I know works very well as my neighbor's has it, but it is so expensive!

I am a network engineer so it was easy to set up and configure but frustrating as the devices were not picking up dhcp address, even though all my other pcs etc were. So not sure if this was a bug in logitech or not, i may downgrade my router firmware, but as I am now on statics not sure yet. ;-)

I prefer setting static IPs and I am pleased now..

Details of my setup

draytek vigor 2820vn router, connected to a cisco 3560 10/100 48 port switch.
Receiver connected to the switch port, fixed speed and duplex settings on the port to 100 full.

squeezebox receiver
FIRMARE: 48 (Eventhough squeezenetwork.com says firmware is 55? not sure why yet on this one)

IP 10.0.20.61

I have the latest downloaded update for the controller

Version 7.2 r3191 wed oct 22 build #111

Hope this helps, I will now hope that I do not keep getting issues like when the controller turns on it can not find the squeezebox. further testing over the weekend.

My only other issues are i need to get the unit replaced, as the cradle is not charging very well, not sure if this is normal but will place a post on another thread as it looks like i am not the only one with this issue..

happy days.

regards

Paul

tonyptony
2008-12-12, 17:53
To Paul and Jan, I'm one who recently bought a Duet Receiver only (they ARE being sold that way) only to discover the realities of trying to get it recognized on my network without a Controller. Without rehashing what I already have in other threads, it's clear to me that the SBR is not a simple network-addressable device. I'm not sure I understand why Slim did it this way, but there is too much of a dependancy on some sort of non-standard interaction between the SBC and SBR in order to get the Receiver's networking initialized. Seems completely unnecessary, IMO, and I am also involved in the networking side of IT.

brigader
2008-12-13, 14:36
Hi Tonyptony,

Good Luck, I think it does not help that in the printed manual it does not explain all the lights ;-) a big thick manual with lots of wasteful pages in greek ;-) and then you have to go online to find out what the lights mean ;-)

I was getting a blue light on the squeezebox, but managed to sort that issue out when I saw my qnap nas was running 100% cpu, it was logging everything. easy fix.

Now things are working very well I am happier, still seems that I have an issue sometimes with the squeezebox not being seen even thought I can ping it
I will test more. (Last time it was when I placed it into standby mode, then switched the box of at the wall, when it rebooted it was only displaying the blue light.)

I know the receivers can be brought seperately but I thought that's because I am sure Logitech want people to buy the controller too and then add more receivers. I know you can control the squeezebox from the pc, but I must say that using the controller is ace ;-) It really works well when it works so would recommend it. And I can see me buying another controller at this rate to for upstairs.

Agree though you should be able to configure the squeezebox manually from squeeze centre software, it would be an easy bit of code, 1st boot dhcp, then when its on the network, just select it and change the IP to a fixed address ;-)

Well I am now looking at other rooms, and need to go away and think about how I am going to AMP these up, or use powered speakers and then internal wiring, I could be busy ;-)

regards

Paul

Deez
2009-04-27, 09:00
To Paul and Jan, I'm one who recently bought a Duet Receiver only (they ARE being sold that way) only to discover the realities of trying to get it recognized on my network without a Controller. Without rehashing what I already have in other threads, it's clear to me that the SBR is not a simple network-addressable device. I'm not sure I understand why Slim did it this way, but there is too much of a dependancy on some sort of non-standard interaction between the SBC and SBR in order to get the Receiver's networking initialized. Seems completely unnecessary, IMO, and I am also involved in the networking side of IT.

Hi guys,
I too was amazed that a SBR absolutely needs a controller to 'unlock' it. After configuring network settings on it, the controller is no longer needed if you're using another device such as an iPod Touch to control your system.

I didn't understand this when I purchased my receivers. Has anyone implemented software to get around purchasing an expensive Duet controller just to input network settings? Thank you for your help!

-Mike

aubuti
2009-04-27, 09:24
I didn't understand this when I purchased my receivers. Has anyone implemented software to get around purchasing an expensive Duet controller just to input network settings? Thank you for your help!
Search these forums for Net::UDAP, or simply UDAP. It's a user-contributed tool that allows you to set up the SBR without a Controller. Logitech does not provide official support for the tool, but there is plenty of unofficial help here on the forums.

Deez
2009-04-27, 18:38
Wonderful suggestion; UDAP seems to be exactly what I need.

Appreciate the help!
-Mike

ChipZip
2009-05-11, 09:41
Hi Paul,
Sorry to thread-jack, but how did you managed to setup your SBR with Ethernet?
Here is my setup:

router (ip: 192.168.10.1 subnet: 255.255.255.0)
|
|
win 2003 server
1GB NIC (ip: 192.168.10.199 subnet: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 192.168.10.1 dhcp: 192.168.10.1 dns: 192.168.10.1) with Shared Internet option--> to router
on-board NIC (ip: 192.168.10.80 (static) subnet: 255.255.255.0 everything else: blank) --> to SBR
|
|
Squeezebox Receiver (wired to on-board NIC on server)

Thanks,
Paul

Hi guys,

I have had the unit a week, and have had a few issues, like the duet controller not seeing the receiver etc, and I was also frustrated that I could not set up a static ip on the receiver, and I was getting frustrated as the controller was not always finding the receiver which is using a wired ethernet connection. I did recently upgrade my router firmware to a beta version, so that may not have been helping, as it would appear that the controller and the receiver were not always getting IP addresses.

Well I decided to do a factory reset on the controller, even though i had dhcp setup on the router the controller did not get an IP address, this time when I connected to my wirless network, the controller asked if I wanted to try again to get a DHCP address, or assign a static address ;-) I setup a static address did this, and then when I set up the squeezebox it asked me again if I wanted to setup a static address on the squeezebox, which I did. ;-)

So now I have both my controller and receiver on static IP addresses.

I will do further testing over the weekend, as I really want this system to work well, as i do not really want to be purchasing the sonos, which I know works very well as my neighbor's has it, but it is so expensive!

I am a network engineer so it was easy to set up and configure but frustrating as the devices were not picking up dhcp address, even though all my other pcs etc were. So not sure if this was a bug in logitech or not, i may downgrade my router firmware, but as I am now on statics not sure yet. ;-)

I prefer setting static IPs and I am pleased now..

Details of my setup

draytek vigor 2820vn router, connected to a cisco 3560 10/100 48 port switch.
Receiver connected to the switch port, fixed speed and duplex settings on the port to 100 full.

squeezebox receiver
FIRMARE: 48 (Eventhough squeezenetwork.com says firmware is 55? not sure why yet on this one)

IP 10.0.20.61

I have the latest downloaded update for the controller

Version 7.2 r3191 wed oct 22 build #111

Hope this helps, I will now hope that I do not keep getting issues like when the controller turns on it can not find the squeezebox. further testing over the weekend.

My only other issues are i need to get the unit replaced, as the cradle is not charging very well, not sure if this is normal but will place a post on another thread as it looks like i am not the only one with this issue..

happy days.

regards

Paul

MikeDC
2009-05-11, 11:46
When I first power up the SBR and SBC, the Controller seems to free at the "wake up the music" screen and I have to restart it and it connects fine. Same thing happens if the SBC is out of the recharger and goes to sleep.

I am running r3993 and it's in Bridge mode. Actually all wireless on the router is turned off.

upstatemike
2009-08-22, 07:23

I am beginning to wonder if this is really a firmware/software issue or if there is some flaw in the SBR hardware that will prevent this problem from ever being corrected?