PDA

View Full Version : "VoiceBox" - Any Interest?



jherstein@comcast.net
2004-04-21, 13:38
Since I don't know Linux/PERL, I am developing a client to SlimServer in VB.
What does it do? It uses the Windows Speech API (SAPI) to build a
voice-recgnition "remote control" to the SqueezeBox. With this, I am able to
walk around my apartment with a wireless mic and control Squeezebox. I'm still
working on it (the basics work pretty well), but wondered if anyone is
interested or has any suggestions for development.

Mark Bennett
2004-04-21, 14:17
Sounds a sort of cool idea for us gadget freaks :-) Even though
I use WinXP as my desktop I didn't want to buy a Windows license
or suffer the reliability issues of Windows for my SlimServer, so
I'm on Linux.

Ideally a Linux solution would be good, or at a minimum a Windows
interface that could control a remote Linux system through the CLI.

Has anyone thought of a SB Baby monitor? Just though that if you
had a microphone attached to the SB, then you could stream data in
reverse back to the server where it could be merged with the music
stream, so if the baby starts crying it comes over your hi-fi?

Obviosuly there's a whole host of privacy issues for this, but it
might be useful to those with young family. You could then use the
whole system as a sophisticated intercom as well if you wanted.....

Juat a wacky idea......

jherstein (AT) comcast (DOT) net wrote:
> Since I don't know Linux/PERL, I am developing a client to SlimServer in VB.
> What does it do? It uses the Windows Speech API (SAPI) to build a
> voice-recgnition "remote control" to the SqueezeBox. With this, I am able to
> walk around my apartment with a wireless mic and control Squeezebox. I'm still
> working on it (the basics work pretty well), but wondered if anyone is
> interested or has any suggestions for development.
>
>

alexd
2004-04-21, 16:00
On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 22:17 +0100, Mark Bennett wrote:

> Obviosuly there's a whole host of privacy issues for this, but it
> might be useful to those with young family. You could then use the
> whole system as a sophisticated intercom as well if you wanted.....
>
> Juat a wacky idea......

Maybe the next version of the Squeezebox should be fully two-way, ie
line in and line out.

alexd
--
http://ale.cx

Jack Coates
2004-04-22, 07:55
On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:17, Mark Bennett wrote:
....
> reverse back to the server where it could be merged with the music
> stream, so if the baby starts crying it comes over your hi-fi?

oh my, that would be bad. Crying baby is hard enough to listen to at
normal volume :-) A friend of mine once suggested that they should use
that sound for sirens, it'd get more attention.

Anyway, what you're suggesting would require a microphone, a digitizer,
soldering to the geek connector in the squeezebox, and software changes.
Easier/cheaper to buy a radio monitor at the local drugstore.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
************************************************** ********************
* "For someone half as smart you'd be a work of art, you brought *
* yourself apart, now I can't help unless you start." *
* Baby Britain from XO by Elliott Smith *
************************************************** ********************