PDA

View Full Version : Duet controller and cradle

Geraldf
2008-12-06, 11:26
I just wonder if others have the same problem. When my controller is in the cradle, it does not get charged. I always have to put a small piece of paper behind the controller, so that it is pushed a bit forward, and then it gets charges. Without the paper it just sits in the cradle without charging.

Gerald

mvalera
2008-12-08, 10:44
You might try pulling the pins out a bit with a paper clip, they might have been pushed in a bit too much over time.

If that doesn't work please contact support:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Mike

RainmanRam
2008-12-10, 14:49
I just opened my duet and have the same problem. It would appear that the pins in the cradle are set too far back to make contact with the controller contacts while sitting naturally in the base. When you tilt the controler forward, the bottom moves back and contact is made.

Looking at a bit closer, it would appear to be an assembly problem. The black upright portion seems to be attached to the chrome base too far forward. There is about 1/16" gap between the upright portion and the chrome base it's screwed to. I'd imagine, you could carefully slice the sticker and base pad to access the screws, loosen them, and slide the plastic back (assuming slotted holes) but I haven't tried. I want to at least charge the battery before taking the thing apart!). Perhaps someone from Logitech can advise.

- Ray

badboygolf16v
2008-12-11, 08:03
Mine has been exactly the same since the day I bought it.

Apparently the cradle isn't available as a separate replacement item so I would have to have sent the whole package back. On day one of ownership! B**llocks to that I thought...

Pretty poor show really.

So now I finesse the Controller into the cradle and tiptoe gingerly away.

acamacho
2008-12-20, 08:19
I too have this problem. Very disappointing to unbox my new Squeezebox to find it is faulty...what is more disgraceful is that it appears to be a common problem.

Oh well, back it goes and I will spend my money elsewhere and advise anyone who asks not to bother...

RainmanRam
2008-12-20, 09:28
I too have this problem. Very disappointing to unbox my new Squeezebox to find it is faulty...what is more disgraceful is that it appears to be a common problem.

Oh well, back it goes and I will spend my money elsewhere and advise anyone who asks not to bother...

I understand your stance and although disappointing, I'm hoping that someone will offer up a fix since I do like the duet. It should just work out of the box though.

Even more disappointing is that I've emailed support directly about this problem and have not heard back. That implies to me that the fix isn't likely as simple as what I described.

For what it's worth. I've taped a small piece of paper to the inside back of the cradle that keeps my controller in the charge position. Been working fine ever since. A strip of low density foam insulation might be the better choice but I'm reluctant to try it at this point.

- Ray

raaurora
2008-12-20, 09:43
I rarely use my controller, but just took it out of the cradle when I read this thread and it is fully charged. So, I suppose mine is making contact well enough while in the cradle.

Good tip about the paper though should I ever encounter this issue.

acamacho
2008-12-20, 15:10
I rarely use my controller, but just took it out of the cradle when I read this thread and it is fully charged. So, I suppose mine is making contact well enough while in the cradle.

Good tip about the paper though should I ever encounter this issue.

Unfortunately, I am not so 'lucky'. Mine has been in it's cradle for 8 hours and whilst it shows signs of life and is operable when it is wedged into the cradle using the 'paper trick', the controller is completely dead as soon as I remove it from the cradle.

So mine isn't even charging. Very disappointing...

maggior
2008-12-20, 20:23
When you put it in the cradle, does the controller emit a sound? That confirms that electrical contact has been made and that the battery is charging.

It may sound like a dumb question, but you did install the battery, right? Sometimes the best of us lose sight of the obvious, myself included.

Either way, it sounds like you have a defective controller. I'd look into a replacement. The duet isn't cheap and I wouldn't be too tolerant of having to put a piece of paper in there to allow it to make contact (and that doesn't even work for you).

acamacho
2008-12-21, 02:48
When you put it in the cradle, does the controller emit a sound? That confirms that electrical contact has been made and that the battery is charging.

It may sound like a dumb question, but you did install the battery, right? Sometimes the best of us lose sight of the obvious, myself included.

Either way, it sounds like you have a defective controller. I'd look into a replacement. The duet isn't cheap and I wouldn't be too tolerant of having to put a piece of paper in there to allow it to make contact (and that doesn't even work for you).

Yes, the battery is in the controller and if I wedge the controller using a bit of paper to keep it stable the device powers up, emits a sound and is operable WHILST in the cradle. Without the paper wedged in, even the slightest movement of the controller causes the electrical contacts to become disconnected and results in the controller 'rebooting'.

The strange thing is that the controller shows on it's display that it is charging, but after leaving it for 8 hours untouched in the cradle as sso as I remove it, it loses power and is dead.

Really disappointed as I wantedthis for Xmas, but there's no chance of getting a replacement before that now...