PDA

View Full Version : XP Sleep annoyance

SoftPhill
2008-12-06, 06:49
I dont know if this is more of an XP issue (XPSSP2Pro on a Mac Mini)than a squeeze issue.

I have sleep enabled and my receiver/controller/Boom/SB3 can wake it up with no problem, the issue is that if i dont select any music within about 30 seconds it goes back to sleep again. Can anyone advise what might be causing this?

I am using 7.3 but this has been happening on 7.2 as well

tamanaco
2008-12-06, 07:28
Strange, are you using WOL? There's a Windows "feature" that sends the computer back to sleep if it's awaken using WOL. But, it usually goes back to sleep in about 2 minutes not 30 seconds. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810719

To keep my computer from going to sleep after using WOL, I use an app called WakeUP 1.06. (google it) You can setup this app to keep your computer awake while specific ports are in use.

SoftPhill
2008-12-07, 11:47
Strange, are you using WOL? There's a Windows "feature" that sends the computer back to sleep if it's awaken using WOL. But, it usually goes back to sleep in about 2 minutes not 30 seconds. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810719

To keep my computer from going to sleep after using WOL, I use an app called WakeUP 1.06. (google it) You can setup this app to keep your computer awake while specific ports are in use.

Thanks, have given this a try, does it need to be actually running or can you configure it and then exit?
Also, the active port number i have put in is 9000. Does that ma

SoftPhill
2008-12-07, 11:47

Thanks, have given this a try, does it need to be actually running or can you configure it and then exit?
Also, the active port number i have put in is 9000. Is that the right one do you think?

tamanaco
2008-12-07, 12:26
Also, the active port number i have put in is 9000. Is that the right one do you think?

It has to be running to prevent the computer from going into standby. I have it set to prevent standby if there is activity in ports 3389,3483 9000, 9090 (Remote desktop, SlimProto, SC server and CLI for Moose)

newy
2008-12-07, 15:07
Cool. Will it let the computer enter standby if you want it to go into standby, say 15 minutes after an album is finished? Thanks.

I think the developers are working on this for 7.3.1 (bug 8520 I believe). Something like this should be a standard plug-in that you get when you install SC.

tamanaco
2008-12-07, 15:58
Cool. Will it let the computer enter standby if you want it to go into standby, say 15 minutes after an album is finished? Thanks.

If the ports are closed... Yes... but if there is activity in any of the defined ports it will prevent the computer from going to sleep. In other words, the application(s) using the defined port(s) "must" be disconnected so that the computer can enter standby while Wakeup is running.

pablolie
2008-12-07, 17:28
If the ports are closed... Yes... but if there is activity in any of the defined ports it will prevent the computer from going to sleep. In other words, the application(s) using the defined port(s) "must" be disconnected so that the computer can enter standby while Wakeup is running.

Because of all the issues with sleep modes, which I have never been able to run reliably, I keep my computer always on, but in powersaving mode. The stepping feature works quite nicely in Intel processors, and power consumption of my computer goes down from about 170W when in full tilt mode (monitor and RAID included) to less than 50W when everything gets powered down and the CPU is stepped down to 5%. I would love to get the sleep mode and wakeup from LAN to work stable over long periods of time, but it's always resulted in weird issues (i.e. monitor doesn't wake up and such)...