PDA

View Full Version : Trasnporter and 5.1 DVDA files

agentsmith
2008-12-06, 02:04
After years of living with Squeezeboxes and multiple DACs (Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10), I finally took home a Transporter.

All I can say is, WOW. Somehow in my Naim system everything is transformed, lossless CD rips sounds more detail and enjoyable than the DAC combos. I am glad I made the purchase.

It went better, I managed to rip my DVD audio discs (Yes Fragile) into FLAC file and they sound even better than when played thru my DVDA player.

However, when trying to play 5.1 multichannel rips, the Transporter refuses to play complaining about decoder memory out or something. After that it would not play anything, refusing to play 44.1 files and even web radio. I had to fix it by hard resetting the box with Power down - ADD Key/Power Up combo.

I realize Transporter would not play 5.1 files, how do I down convert my 5.1 WAV files into stereo files? Would there be much quality degradation?

MadScientist
2008-12-08, 01:07
I use Foobar for 5.1 to stereo conversion. It appears to do a reasonable job but I have mot investigated other applications.

For my DVDAs, I rip the stereo mix and compare it with the down-converted 5.1 mix to see which I like best.
MS

mswlogo
2008-12-08, 04:58
After years of living with Squeezeboxes and multiple DACs (Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10), I finally took home a Transporter.

All I can say is, WOW. Somehow in my Naim system everything is transformed, lossless CD rips sounds more detail and enjoyable than the DAC combos. I am glad I made the purchase.

It went better, I managed to rip my DVD audio discs (Yes Fragile) into FLAC file and they sound even better than when played thru my DVDA player.

However, when trying to play 5.1 multichannel rips, the Transporter refuses to play complaining about decoder memory out or something. After that it would not play anything, refusing to play 44.1 files and even web radio. I had to fix it by hard resetting the box with Power down - ADD Key/Power Up combo.

I realize Transporter would not play 5.1 files, how do I down convert my 5.1 WAV files into stereo files? Would there be much quality degradation?

Try ripping the DVD-V portion of your DVDA discs (see the wiki). They are usually in DTS. You might be amazed how good they sound. I find doing this sounds way better than mixing down. You have the same bandwidth in either case (2 channels of 48khz). But with DTS you are adding compression (and doubling your bandwidth) and it is dynamically adjusting which channels should get the bandwidth.

agentsmith
2008-12-08, 07:54
Try ripping the DVD-V portion of your DVDA discs (see the wiki). They are usually in DTS. You might be amazed how good they sound. I find doing this sounds way better than mixing down. You have the same bandwidth in either case (2 channels of 48khz). But with DTS you are adding compression (and doubling your bandwidth) and it is dynamically adjusting which channels should get the bandwidth.

Thanks, I did manage to downmix some DVDAs to stereo and they sound stunng good on the Transporter. If the DTS portion sounds better I would love to try it. But if I could ask a few more questions:

1. I could not find anyt reference of DVD in the Slim wiki. Are you referring to the Slim wiki?

2. Many of my DVD-A discs do not seem to have a DVD-V portion. Is it only for 2 sided discs? Or does every DVD-A disc have a sccret DVD-V portion?

3. When I rip the DVD-V discs with DTS, is there anything special I have to do, or do I just use DVDAExplorer and rip to WAV? Does transporter support DTS natively.

4. You mentioned 48KHz, don't many DVD-V discs have 96.24? I cannot tell 48/24 from redbook CDs.

5. I mistakenly ripped some of my DVD-A discs in 5.1 mode, and it hangs my Transporter by refusing to play any files, I had to do a hard reset to bring it back. Does your Transporter do that?

6. I notice you are Meridian guru, the only Meridian I have is an F80 (I am a Naim person). I play DVD-V portion of some DVD-A discs on it, and they sound great!

Sorry for so many questions. I am very excited about being able to hear my hires collection in my server system, and it sounds better than ever!

mswlogo
2008-12-08, 13:55
Thanks, I did manage to downmix some DVDAs to stereo and they sound stunng good on the Transporter. If the DTS portion sounds better I would love to try it. But if I could ask a few more questions:

1. I could not find anyt reference of DVD in the Slim wiki. Are you referring to the Slim wiki?

2. Many of my DVD-A discs do not seem to have a DVD-V portion. Is it only for 2 sided discs? Or does every DVD-A disc have a sccret DVD-V portion?

3. When I rip the DVD-V discs with DTS, is there anything special I have to do, or do I just use DVDAExplorer and rip to WAV? Does transporter support DTS natively.

4. You mentioned 48KHz, don't many DVD-V discs have 96.24? I cannot tell 48/24 from redbook CDs.

5. I mistakenly ripped some of my DVD-A discs in 5.1 mode, and it hangs my Transporter by refusing to play any files, I had to do a hard reset to bring it back. Does your Transporter do that?

6. I notice you are Meridian guru, the only Meridian I have is an F80 (I am a Naim person). I play DVD-V portion of some DVD-A discs on it, and they sound great!

Sorry for so many questions. I am very excited about being able to hear my hires collection in my server system, and it sounds better than ever!

Almost all DVDA have DVDV on them. They do not have to be two sided. Some DVDA players have to be forced into playing the DVDV layer. Try any of your DVDA's in a straight DVD player on a 5.1 system and that's exactly how they will sound on the transporter into a 5.1. system.

The ones you ripped as 5.1 probably converted to a 5.1 Flac that the Transporter will refuse to play. As far as the Transporter is concerned they look like 2 Channels. Which is exactly how they come out of your TosLink/SPDIF of a DVD player (over 2 channels compressed/encoded).

The 5.1 DTS will be 48Khz 5.1 after decoding.

Some DVDA have 2 channel 24/96 that is not MLP (straight PCM). Those can be ripped too and be played as 24/96.

You will not get 5.1 24/96 lossless or lossy out of a Transporter from DVDA.

See the wiki http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Play_DVD_Tracks

It's a bit of workl but well worth it. I sold off my DVDA player and still buy DVDA's now and then.

You should ask further questions in the ripper formum.

There may be easier tools around that do it soup to nuts but I don't believe so.

You can use many DVD rippers but the trick is to wrap the raw DTS bitstream in a wav file. Which there is a python script for doing. Then once you have the wav you can still lossless compress it to flac and then tag it (I use MusicBrainz).

I've heard really good comments on the F80 but with DSP5000's selling at half the price used compared to F80 I keep buying DSP5000's. I have 3 Systems with DSP5000's in them. I'll eventually get an F80.