X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Miksis
    formerly known as Fletch
    • May 2005

SBC Audio Playback Battery Life

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone reported on battery life for the SBC with continuous audio playback?
  • Howard Passman
    • Apr 2008

Battery life...

Originally posted by Fletch
    Maybe I missed it, but has anyone reported on battery life for the SBC with continuous audio playback?
    2-3 hours for me... Depends on whether I keep messing with it.

Howard

Comment

• Moonbase
      • Dec 2008

Very good question. I’m intreagued to get an SBC just for driving headphones. But then again, maybe it’s better to wait for some SBC+ to come up, with a 6 hour-capacity LiIon battery?

Did anyone ever try to drive actual headphones (instead of earbuds) with the SBC? Maybe like ATH-M50s (that only have 38 ohms impedance) or HD-580s? Battery life?
      Moonbase: The Problem Solver

Comment

• Howard Passman
        • Apr 2008

Sennheiser HD650

Originally posted by Moonbase
        Very good question. I’m intreagued to get an SBC just for driving headphones. But then again, maybe it’s better to wait for some SBC+ to come up, with a 6 hour-capacity LiIon battery?

Did anyone ever try to drive actual headphones (instead of earbuds) with the SBC? Maybe like ATH-M50s (that only have 38 ohms impedance) or HD-580s? Battery life?
        I use the HD650's when I'm sitting in my easy chair (man, that makes me sound old). I don't notice any difference in playing time. I have yet been able to run the SBC down. It will definitely run over 2 hours ad that's about as long as I can use it at one time.

Howard

Comment

• signor_rossi
          • Jun 2007

Besides that I don't use headphones at all (can't stand them) the last time I tried audio playback on my Controller there was some easily noticeable static noise to be heard. JFYI.

SignorRossi.

Comment

• Moonbase
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for your feedback, Howard and Signor Rossi! Hope the »static noise« problem is not a design fault and can be corrected in firmware.

Btw, it’s just the other way round with me: I can’t stand the earbuds (and they usually don’t hold, maybe I’ve good oddly shaped ears). I usually prefer (studio) headphones, even sealed ones when at home (to keep out any distracting noise). [Maybe that’s the reason I’m getting bald, hee hee]
            Last edited by Moonbase; 2008-12-08, 14:10.
            Moonbase: The Problem Solver

Comment

• Howard Passman
              • Apr 2008

Moon....

Thanks for your feedback, Howard and Signor Rossi! Hope the »static noise« problem is not a design fault and can be corrected in firmware.

Btw, it’s just the other way round with me: I can’t stand the earbuds (and they usually don’t hold, maybe I’ve good oddly shaped ears). I usually prefer (studio) headphones, even sealed ones when at home (to keep out any distracting noise). [Maybe that’s the reason I’m getting bald, hee hee]
              Bummer to hear about Signor Rossi's experience, but I don't think it's the norm especially in the past few weeks. In those past couple of weeks the SBC as a player has improved dramatically. No skips, drop outs, static or anything any longer. It's a great player for headphones or buds. It works well with powered speakers, but not sure about a nice 2 channel set up. When they first turned on the output jack, it didn't sound as good as any of the other SB's when hooked to a 2 channel stereo. That may have changed and I need to go back and listen again.

I wouldn't hesitate to slap on a good set of headphones and try it.

Howard

Comment

• MeSue
                • Jul 2005

I can’t stand the earbuds (and they usually don’t hold, maybe I’ve good oddly shaped ears).
                I used to have that problem until I tried the kind with adjustable rubber tips that go more inside your ears instead of just resting on the outside of the ear like most of the ear buds that come with stuff. Much better and more comfortable, too! Then I learned you are supposed to run the wire over and behind your ear and that made it even better.
                Sue
                "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
                Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
                Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
                My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Comment

• Howard Passman
                  • Apr 2008

I agree with MeSue...

Originally posted by MeSue
                  I used to have that problem until I tried the kind with adjustable rubber tips that go more inside your ears instead of just resting on the outside of the ear like most of the ear buds that come with stuff. Much better and more comfortable, too! Then I learned you are supposed to run the wire over and behind your ear and that made it even better.
                  In most cases it drastically improves the bass response of the buds to have the right size rubber tips.

Howard

Comment

• signor_rossi
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Howard Passman
                    Bummer to hear about Signor Rossi's experience,
                    Just some more info.
                    I initially tried with Sennheiser PX 200 headphones of my brother. The static is there as soon as I turn on the Controller on, doesn't matter if music plays or not. Today I tried again and had also cracking noise during audio playback doing so. Then I plugged in a cheap headset and the noise seemed gone, it is just that the headset headphones seem rather dull and I wouldn't give a final judgment yet on who is the originator of the unwanted static. I need to do some more tests to be certain, it is just that I haven't any other reasonable headphones atm (nor earbuds, as I actually can't stand them either).
                    I still will probably use the music playback function of the controller with some old active Logitech speakers I have, so where are the spare cradles (and the backlit IR remote for the SB3 of my mom) for us Europeans?

SignorRossi.
                    Last edited by signor_rossi; 2008-12-10, 17:42. Reason: missed to dd a word before

Comment

• Howard Passman
                      • Apr 2008

Signor..

Keep looking my friend. Something isn't right and it would be a shame to miss out on one of the coolest features of the SBC.

Howard

Comment

Working...