PDA

View Full Version : Confidence in Receiver diagnostic lights

tonyptony
2008-12-05, 09:00
I am having trouble seeing the Mac address of my Receiver over my network. Since my network is set up properly for my SB3 I have to consider the possibility there may be something wrong with my Receiver. What level of confidence should I have that the Receiver is operating correctly if I run the power-on diagnostic lights and they come up okay? If they come up clean and the network traffic lights on the Receiver's Ethernet jack are flashing is that enough to assume everything is okay internally?

mvalera
2008-12-08, 10:46
Are you trying to set the Receiver up without a Controller?

If you're controller can't see the Receiver then you should contact support:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Mike

tonyptony
2008-12-10, 07:39
I'm using Net_UDAP Mike. I have since come to the conclusion that there has to be something wrong with the Receiver. Without dragging Net_UDAP into this forum, it can see my SB3 okay, but I've tried combinations of two different computers and three different routers (trying both wired and wireless) and I can't see the Receiver at all. I'd say I'm reasonably competent when it comes to fooling with this kind of stuff.

So I guess to keep it on topic, is it possible for the SBR to not be visible either over wired or wireless but still have its light-diagnostics pass?

fcm4711
2008-12-10, 10:08
Hi there

What you are calling 'light-diagnostics' isn't really a full diagnostics as this internal test is only designed for a quick sound check. If you attach active speaker to the RCA connectors you will hear some tones together with the led color changes. (Attention: the tones are at max volume.)

What you should do is a factory reset and after that SBR should be detectable via wireless (from a SBC) or ethernet using Net_UDAP.

Without holding the button apply power to the SBR, wait a bit and then press and hold (for about 6 seconds) the button until it blinks red quickly. Then let go and wait until it blinks red slowly.

SBR is now factory reset and ready to be setup.

Felix

tonyptony
2008-12-10, 17:56
What you should do is a factory reset and after that SBR should be detectable via wireless (from a SBC) or ethernet using Net_UDAP.

Without holding the button apply power to the SBR, wait a bit and then press and hold (for about 6 seconds) the button until it blinks red quickly. Then let go and wait until it blinks red slowly.

SBR is now factory reset and ready to be setup.

Felix

Hi Felix. Tried that multiple times and still no luck. Again, respecting that this is a Duet forum I don't want to get too much into Net_UDAP, but I think the following might be okay.

It got to where I pulled out one of my old but trusted routers, reset it to its defaults (192.168.0.1 etc) and made sure it was set wide open - no security features, subnet mask set to 255.0.0.0 for Pete's sake (!). Tried multiple cables to wire the SBR to this router. Disabled WIN XP Pro's software Firewall. Could not see it for nothing. Yes, the router WAS hooked up to my PC and I did a release/renew on the addresses.

I found someone at work who has a Duet and asked if I could borrow his SBC. Pulled out the Ethernet cable from the SBR, turned on the SBC and bada bing it saw the SBR. Turned off the SBR, hooked everything back up to my regular router, turned XP Pro's Firewall back ON, and turned the SBR back on. Guess what? The SBC saw it again - on my dedicated home network through my wireless setup (yes I did enter the wireless name). This really didn't surprise me since my SB3 works fine.

So what exactly goes on between an out-of-the-box SBR and SBC that can't easily be duplicated by a simple Ethernet broadcast process?

I know others have gotten that utility to work but I came up empty, even with my system set up so a baby could take it.

Oh BTW, I did try Squeezeplay but that didn't work either. I wasn't sure anyway if it would duplicate through my dedicated wireless network (from my PC to the SBR) what the SBC does.

fcm4711
2008-12-11, 04:40
Hey, that is good news. At least it seems your SBR isn't broken.

If you still have the SBC it would be interesting to see if you can setup SBR using ethernet instead of wireless. This would prove that the ethernet port is ok.

Plug the ethernet cable into SBR and then power it up. If you now use SBC to setup SBR it should give you an option to select between wired or wireless. Select wired.

Does that work?

Felix