Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aubuti
    • Oct 2005

how *not* to update SBC firmware?

Maybe my usually-keen-grasp-of-the-obvious is failing me, but how do I get the SBC *not* to force an update of the firmware? Often I pick up the SBC to play something and see that new fw is available, and the only route to take is to install it. I'm usually fine with that, but the rest of the family isn't. They want to play music or hear the news -- now!
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
    Bedroom: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers
  • MeSue
    • Jul 2005

I've wondered this myself. Have you ever tried pressing left to back out? I haven't tried it yet because it's always just me and I can wait 5 minutes for music.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Comment

• aubuti
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MeSue
      I've wondered this myself. Have you ever tried pressing left to back out? I haven't tried it yet because it's always just me and I can wait 5 minutes for music.
      That would be a sensible escape route, but pressing left just "bumps" the text on screen a little, and I think gives an audible 'click'. Nice ui feedback to let you know it received the request, but it doesn't actually do anything.
      Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
      Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
      LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• Howard Passman
        • Apr 2008

The only way I know to get around it.

Originally posted by aubuti
        Maybe my usually-keen-grasp-of-the-obvious is failing me, but how do I get the SBC *not* to force an update of the firmware? Often I pick up the SBC to play something and see that new fw is available, and the only route to take is to install it. I'm usually fine with that, but the rest of the family isn't. They want to play music or hear the news -- now!
        The only way I know to get around it temporarily is (for windows) go to the cache folder and delete the file. Then let SBC try to load it and it will quickly give up and you can go back to the menu then.

I don't think it will bother you again until you restart SC or maybe the SBC. I don't remember which.

Howard

P.S. You could turn updates off in SC settings. Then update it manually whenever you choose.

Comment

• ModelCitizen
          • May 2005

This is not the first time this has been mentioned on the forums. It'd be really handy if a user could cancel an auto-update on a one-off basis. I find it so frustrating that I'm less likely to run beta software in the future.

MC
          Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
          Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
          And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• bonze
            • Jun 2006

Isn't that controlled by Settings > Advanced > Software Updates ??

If not - what is that option there for?
            LMS Version: 8.2
            Synology 216+II & Docker
            2x Touch, 2x SB3

Comment

• ModelCitizen
              • May 2005

Originally posted by bonze
              Isn't that controlled by Settings > Advanced > Software Updates ??If not - what is that option there for?
              That stops it permanently. I was referring to cancelling it on a one-off basis (see my last post above).... i.e when you are prompted to update but it's inconvenient at that particular moment so you want to leave it till later.

MC
              Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
              Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
              And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• aubuti
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ModelCitizen
                That stops it permanently. I was referring to cancelling it on a one-off basis (see my last post above).... i.e when you are prompted to update but it's inconvenient at that particular moment so you want to leave it till later.
                Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind as well.

Comment

• MeSue
                  • Jul 2005

I was going to try pressing "home" the next time I got an update message. Well, I got one last night and my finger did not obey my brain and I pressed the middle button instead! So has anyone tried pressing home to back out of an update?
                  Sue
                  "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
                  Logitech Media Server 8.1 on Windows 10 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
                  Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
                  My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Comment

Working...