PDA

View Full Version : how *not* to update SBC firmware?

aubuti
2008-12-05, 08:48
Maybe my usually-keen-grasp-of-the-obvious is failing me, but how do I get the SBC *not* to force an update of the firmware? Often I pick up the SBC to play something and see that new fw is available, and the only route to take is to install it. I'm usually fine with that, but the rest of the family isn't. They want to play music or hear the news -- now!

MeSue
2008-12-05, 09:25
I've wondered this myself. Have you ever tried pressing left to back out? I haven't tried it yet because it's always just me and I can wait 5 minutes for music.

aubuti
2008-12-05, 09:36
I've wondered this myself. Have you ever tried pressing left to back out? I haven't tried it yet because it's always just me and I can wait 5 minutes for music.
That would be a sensible escape route, but pressing left just "bumps" the text on screen a little, and I think gives an audible 'click'. Nice ui feedback to let you know it received the request, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Howard Passman
2008-12-05, 13:47
Maybe my usually-keen-grasp-of-the-obvious is failing me, but how do I get the SBC *not* to force an update of the firmware? Often I pick up the SBC to play something and see that new fw is available, and the only route to take is to install it. I'm usually fine with that, but the rest of the family isn't. They want to play music or hear the news -- now!

The only way I know to get around it temporarily is (for windows) go to the cache folder and delete the file. Then let SBC try to load it and it will quickly give up and you can go back to the menu then.

I don't think it will bother you again until you restart SC or maybe the SBC. I don't remember which.

Howard

P.S. You could turn updates off in SC settings. Then update it manually whenever you choose.

ModelCitizen
2008-12-05, 14:43
This is not the first time this has been mentioned on the forums. It'd be really handy if a user could cancel an auto-update on a one-off basis. I find it so frustrating that I'm less likely to run beta software in the future.

MC

bonze
2008-12-06, 02:35
Isn't that controlled by Settings > Advanced > Software Updates ??

If not - what is that option there for?

ModelCitizen
2008-12-06, 03:36
Isn't that controlled by Settings > Advanced > Software Updates ??If not - what is that option there for?
That stops it permanently. I was referring to cancelling it on a one-off basis (see my last post above).... i.e when you are prompted to update but it's inconvenient at that particular moment so you want to leave it till later.

MC

aubuti
2008-12-06, 07:34
That stops it permanently. I was referring to cancelling it on a one-off basis (see my last post above).... i.e when you are prompted to update but it's inconvenient at that particular moment so you want to leave it till later.
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind as well.

MeSue
2008-12-07, 10:26
I was going to try pressing "home" the next time I got an update message. Well, I got one last night and my finger did not obey my brain and I pressed the middle button instead! So has anyone tried pressing home to back out of an update?