PDA

View Full Version : softsqueeze no longer working

davepuma
2008-12-04, 19:33
I recently installed the latest build of SC 7.3 but now my Softsqueeze isn't working. I initially ran SC on my laptop but it's away for repair so I'm running SC and Softsqueeze on the same bedroom PC but it simply hangs at "please wait, connecting to slimserver" and does nothing. I've checked the ip settings and disabled firewalls etc. but to no avail. What should I check/try next?

davepuma
2008-12-07, 06:14
Does anyone have anything to suggest trying to get softsqueeze working again? If I at least got an error message, I would have something to go on but it simply hangs at trying to connect.

I have tried running softsqueeze as an applet but it doesn't run. Should I just uninstall softsqueeze and is there a cache for softsqueeze I should delete?

rossp
2008-12-08, 10:39
exactly the same issue I have - sorry I can't help as I haven't managed to solve it yet myself....

Edit - fixed it..
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55423

davepuma
2008-12-08, 20:18
Thanks, glad you've got yours working. Mine continues to frustrate me! I have disabled the firewall and ensured all the IP settings are correct. I have entered all the port details into my firewall in case that was the issue but it has made no difference. I haven't changed my firewall or updated it recently, it was the update to 7.3 that caused the problems as far as I can tell. I have deleted the prefs and cache as well and rebuilt my library (another problem) but that hasn't fixed it either. I can't even get the applet to run within Squeezecenter either, so I don't know what else to try. I have contacted Logitech for further guidance, so I will see what they can come up with.

Anoop M.
2008-12-09, 13:18
With 7.3 installed, you can also try downloading and installing SqueezePlay.

You can download it from the nightly downloads.

Keep in mind that you will need to enable audio playback before SqueezePlay will work.

To do this hold down the left arrow and go to Settings --> Advanced --> Audio Playback -->Enable Playback (BETA).

Does this work for you?

davepuma
2008-12-09, 15:26
Is that for the duet or SB classic?

Anoop M.
2008-12-09, 15:27
This is to get a player on your computer. SqueezePlay for the computer.

davepuma
2008-12-09, 16:40
Where is this Advanced tab? It is not coming up on my SB3.

Anoop M.
2008-12-09, 16:48
Sorry i might not have been clear.

On your computer install 7.3.

Next go to http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/ and download the file called SqueezePlay-setup.exe.

Once that file is downloaded install SqueezePlay.

When the setup screen pops up hold down the left arrow and go to Settings-->Advanced --> Audio Playback --> Enable Playback (Beta)

Then proceed through setup. When you get to the Choose player screen select SqueezePlay.

Keep in mind that this is a player for your computer NOT a hardware player.

davepuma
2008-12-09, 17:25
Nice one mate, cheers for your help. I didn't see that squeezeplay was a sep. download. Downloaded and working, so no idea what was wrong with softsqueeze.

Anoop M.
2008-12-09, 17:27
Glad to hear you are up and running!

davepuma
2008-12-10, 07:18
Hmmm. Not quite. The playback stutters now and again, which never happened with Softsqueeze. Sync'ing on Softsqueeze was much better. I have also noticed it simply cuts out after a while and despite the track still playing, no audio comes out. I have to shut down and re-start and it is okay again. Also it has crashed a couple of times, just glad it's BETA!

kesey
2008-12-10, 09:14
Hmmm. Not quite. The playback stutters now and again, which never happened with Softsqueeze. Sync'ing on Softsqueeze was much better. I have also noticed it simply cuts out after a while and despite the track still playing, no audio comes out. I have to shut down and re-start and it is okay again. Also it has crashed a couple of times, just glad it's BETA!

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10236

Squeezeplay always cuts out after a few tracks on me also. The above bug reports the same thing happening to other users. It is worthwhile voting on the bug to raise its priority - at the moment no priority is listed, and Severity is listed as "Normal".

To my mind, Softsqueeze is a much more elegant player and a more robust, finished player than is Squeezeplay at the moment. Hopefully there are developments in the works to make Squeezeplay as good an advertisement for the Duet as Softsqueeze was for the Squeezebox.

davepuma
2008-12-10, 11:23
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10236

Squeezeplay always cuts out after a few tracks on me also. The above bug reports the same thing happening to other users. It is worthwhile voting on the bug to raise its priority - at the moment no priority is listed, and Severity is listed as "Normal".

To my mind, Softsqueeze is a much more elegant player and a more robust, finished player than is Squeezeplay at the moment. Hopefully there are developments in the works to make Squeezeplay as good an advertisement for the Duet as Softsqueeze was for the Squeezebox.

Thanks mate, I'll register on bugzilla and post. I agree, it preferred Softsqueeze, other than the faults I've mentioned, scrolling to find artists and albums is a bit naff (ala ipod) but as Squeezecenter is on the same PC, I used it obviously until the play stopped on Squeezeplay!

kesey
2008-12-10, 12:34
Dave, I've been on the computer for a wee while this evening. I installed the latest nightly 7.3 today (.exe 24270) from
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/SqueezeCenter_7.3_trunk_v2008-12-10/

When I logged on this evening, I read about the Microsoft Tuesday monthly update and as it looked pretty serious, I updated straight away instead of letting Automatic Update handle it. I had to reboot to install the updates. Afterward, I started playing "Dreaming Wide Awake" by the wonderful Lizz Wright. Knock on wood, I'm on track 7 without a stutter so far.

Op system on this machine: Vista Ultimate 32. I use XP Pro on a couple of laptops and Squeezeplay drops out on those as a matter of course.

Oh well, so much for that: spoke too soon: Squeezplay just dropped out on "Wake up little Sparrow" track 7.

davepuma
2008-12-10, 19:41
Yup, still the same here. I left the house, leaving the SB3 and Squeezeplay running to see if was working when I got back. When I returned, Kings of Leon were playing in the living room but in the bathroom.......... silence. I know it's a BETA release but it pretty much doesn't work at all! I still haven't figured out why Softsqueeze stopped working. I was always going to get another SB3 (or SB4?!) for the 2nd setup but as my server is in the same room, I thought it made more sense to use the PC and it sounds okay(ish). Keep me posted on how you get on with the next update.

davepuma
2008-12-18, 23:28
I've updated to the official SC 7.3 release and the issue has not been resolved. Any idea when Squeezeplay will be officially released and if anyone has managed to figure out how to resolve the problems we're having?