PDA

View Full Version : how to identify whether on WiFi or ethernet?

eurochez
2008-12-04, 00:15
I had connected my Squeezebox Duet to the G channel of my wireless router but was finding poor network performance and a lot of sound drop-outs so I have now connected via ethernet.

I seem to be experiencing a lot less drop-outs but how do I figure out whether or not my Squeezebox Duet is in fact connecting to my music library (located on a NAS volume on my network) over ethernet and not over WiFi? (on my controller, my wireless network still has a tick mark next to it).

thanks in advance
Rafael

Jonnio
2008-12-04, 04:03
If you just plugged in the ethernet cable your not using it. You have to go back to the initial player setup (hold in the front button until it starts flashing) then select the player on the remote. Now, when the network connection screen comes up it will give you the option for ethernet or wifi. Choose ethernet and your good to go.

I figured this out by using the bandwidth test that is on the control also. If you have a mediocre wifi signal you will probably not be able to max it out without dropping packets, but a 100 mbit lan will have zero issues doing so with no drops.

bpa
2008-12-04, 04:20
how do I figure out whether or not my Squeezebox Duet is in fact connecting to my music library (located on a NAS volume on my network) over ethernet and not over WiFi?

Unplug the Ethernet cable from receiver - if it still works then you are using Wifi.

aubuti
2008-12-04, 07:18
Jonnio's and bpa's advice is good. Also in SqueezeCenter you can look under Settings > Status (or Settings > Information, depending on SC version) and look in the list of recognized players. If your Duet receiver shows "signal strength" then it's on wifi, otherwise it's not.

Old100
2008-12-05, 07:02
If you just plugged in the ethernet cable your not using it. You have to go back to the initial player setup (hold in the front button until it starts flashing) then select the player on the remote. Now, when the network connection screen comes up it will give you the option for ethernet or wifi. Choose ethernet and your good to go.

I figured this out by using the bandwidth test that is on the control also. If you have a mediocre wifi signal you will probably not be able to max it out without dropping packets, but a 100 mbit lan will have zero issues doing so with no drops.

"You have to go back to the initial player setup (hold in the front button until it starts flashing)": OK

"then select the player on the remote" well fine, but how do I do this ????

what option of the menu?

Please help.

jmschnur
2008-12-06, 09:22
Go to restore factory defaults in advanced when you start the process for the receiver choose ethernet -not the any wifi option.

You will lose all settings-i.e start from beginning

Note-the last 7.3 beta is now working great for me with a hybrid setup-i.e. LAN for the Receiver and wifo for the controller. If you go to 7.3 the firmware will update as you do the setup.

Joel

Old100
2008-12-06, 11:40
Thanks, I'll do that.

eurochez
2008-12-07, 23:53
Thanks for all the assistance...as per various suggestions I did a factory reset and that did the trick...no more drop-outs!

best
Raf