PDA

View Full Version : Headphone plug on Controller

RiccardoR
2008-12-02, 15:03
Upgraded to SC 7.3 (nightly 24179), my Controller plays music through hearphone plug with excellent sound quality; but, this is the point, a friend of mine with the same configuration don't hear nothing through the hearphone plug but still hear music through the little speaker. Already reported from another user (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=364389&postcount=19) but without a real answer.
The switch between the speaker and the headphone seems not to be mechanically but from software, so: why the same configuration do a different behaviour? It is possible that the Controller of my friend is broken? If so, it is possible to ask an help from Logitech Support (we live in Italy) for a feature not yet officially supported?
Thanks, Riccardo

Howard Passman
2008-12-03, 03:38
Have you tried a different headset in your friends SBC. I'm not sure, but someone else had a problem with iPod earbuds. I don't think I ever heard whether switching to a dofferent set made any difference, but what have you got to lose.

The switch is not mechanical and I'm not sure what they are sensing for, but maybe it's impedence and the little buds won't trigger it. I have no idea, just a guess, but something to try.

Howard

Moonbase
2008-12-03, 11:46
Sorry for the ignorance … Do I understand that the Duet Controller has a headphone connector???

I was looking for that and would have bought a Duet instead of a Classic, but it was nowhere to find in any Logitech specs—neither on the web site nor elsewhere. Too bad for sales.

If it has: Can it drive »real« headphones or just earbuds?

---

And if it really has: Kudos to the designers/developers! And a big Boo! to Marketing—why make it so hard to find features for prospective customers? Now go and convince me to buy an extra Controller for my Classic! ;-)

RiccardoR
2008-12-03, 13:44
The hearphone plug is an hardware feature not officially supported (too). From the 7.3 (still in beta but well useable) this will be an official feature. I think it is a nice gadget to use around the house or (a little embarassing...to use in the bathroom ;-)).
I haven't tested my Sennheiser HD540 Reference but only the (extraordinary) Sennheiser hearbud: I think a little strange to walk around with a large headphone plugged to the Controller.
What isn't still clear is how this plug is enabled and why some users (like me) are very pleased about this feature and other (like my friend) aren't able to hear nothing.
Ciao, Riccardo

P.S.: For Howard, I have successfully tested the Controller also with an original iPod hearbud (and with the Sennheiser).

Moonbase
2008-12-03, 15:48
A-hem … would you, for the benefit of many of us, try the HD-540?

(I reckon it had 300 ohms impedance, didn’t it?)

Ali G
2008-12-03, 16:28
I had the same problem (ie no sound through headphones, only through rear speaker) - resolved it very easily by updating firmware in the controller via settings. Now works perfectly !

Howard Passman
2008-12-03, 16:41
A-hem … would you, for the benefit of many of us, try the HD-540?

(I reckon it had 300 ohms impedance, didn’t it?)

The headphone output has been turned on with beta SC 7.3. It works very well right now, but will not stream a few things still like Rhapsody. It does work with Internet Radio and Pandora, Shoutcast, etc.. Of course your files will work fine, but flac seems to work the best for now.

I use two different headphones all of the time. The Sennheiser HD650 and the Shure SE530 earbuds. Both work very nicely.

I've been using it for several weeks now and I think the have it working pretty well right now.

Howard

Howard Passman
2008-12-03, 16:45
You will have to load the latest SC 7.3 version found here.
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/ use the .exe file if you are running windows.

Then go here to download the latest firmware for the SBC.
http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3/
Download jive.version r3475.bin and put it in your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Cache folder. Again this is windows only.

Restart SC and then on the SBC go to Settings/Advanced/Update Software

Howard

stedes
2008-12-05, 02:15
Awesome....Howard... thanks a lot mate. Working like a charm!

S

Howard Passman
2008-12-05, 02:46
Awesome....Howard... thanks a lot mate. Working like a charm!

S

Great! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have and have a great weekend.

Howard

thurstongarden
2008-12-05, 12:36
This thread has spurred me on to upgrading to 7.3beta and jive.version r3475.bin which I did yesterday at work. Disappointed when I got home to see that the firmware update kept failing so now have r3476 which has updated successfully.

How do I get the tunes out of the headphone jack though? I recall reading that I needed to select the controller as a player, but there's no place to choose the player now....

Ta.

thurstongarden
2008-12-05, 12:45
Well, cover me with eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes! Restated the Controller and there's the Choose Player option!

Happy as now!

Howard Passman
2008-12-05, 12:45
This thread has spurred me on to upgrading to 7.3beta and jive.version r3475.bin which I did yesterday at work. Disappointed when I got home to see that the firmware update kept failing so now have r3476 which has updated successfully.

How do I get the tunes out of the headphone jack though? I recall reading that I needed to select the controller as a player, but there's no place to choose the player now....

Ta.

I'm not looking at my SBC right now, but I believe you go to Settings/Advanced/Audio and select "beta". After that when you are in your main menu you can "select player".

Howard

Howard Passman
2008-12-05, 12:47
Well, cover me with eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes! Restated the Controller and there's the Choose Player option!

Happy as now!

Can we pass on making you a cake? :-) Glad it's working now. You'll really enjoy it and just in time for the weekend.

Howard

amcluesent
2008-12-05, 13:15
What's not to like about 7.3!

Have enabled the Controller as a player, decent wi-fi range too.

Maybe the sound is a tad 'thicker' than the 3G iPhone?