PDA

View Full Version : Stop The Monster cable Bullying

haraldo
2008-12-01, 15:35
There is this large company called Monster cable....

It looks like it's becoming a habit of Monster cable to target small companies, to sue them, try to drive them out of business, in a range of frivolous lawsuits...

Examples of this:
Monster Cable Driving Mini Golf Place Out of Business?
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49064

Monster Cable Sues Baby Clothing Company MonsterRepublic.com
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/monster-cable

Monster Cable Sues Blue Jeans Cable
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/monster-sues-blue-jeans-cable

Now there's a pattern of not so good things happening.....

There's perhaps one way to stop this and this is by everybody speaking out and say that we don't accept this, and also for consumers to stop buying Monster cable products

This should get as much publicity as possible, then perhaps Monster Cable may end this ridiculous tactics.

You may also join facebook group: Stop Monster Cable bullying small companies
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=47129424738

OR burn your Monster Cable products in a camp fire and post videos of this at YouTube

Regards

-H

SuperQ
2008-12-01, 16:11
If we could just get companies like best buy to stop ordering from them, it would go a long way.

funkstar
2008-12-01, 16:31
On the Monster vs. Blue Jeans Cable case:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

Looks like it is dead in the water.

I hope Monsters own lawers bleed them dry.

haraldo
2008-12-01, 16:42
Ih yes, I guess the Blue Jeans case is dead now...

But certainly not this one:

This is going to court as we speak......

haraldo
2008-12-02, 11:33
Check out these links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=250335844365

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/monster-call-to-arms

Is there any way to get the big chains to stop carrying Monster products?

toby10
2008-12-02, 13:39
Check out these links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=250335844365

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/monster-call-to-arms

Not likely. The markup on such "incidentals" are where the retailers really make their margins. The actual hardware (tv, stereo, computer, etc..) are so competitive the markups are usually quite slim. Monster is a marketing machine and a well known brand name. The retailers can draw from this and make big $$$ selling them.

I wouldn't use a Monster cable even if they were free (for the issues mentioned in this thread and other issues). But their target market of the uninformed and gullible will always be there to buy up their overpriced merchandise.

Beyond doing what you are doing, spreading the word, there is little that can be done to get the big retailers to stop carrying such a brand. :(

haraldo
2008-12-02, 13:42
At least word is spreading around now, and quite quickly

There's a short story here:
http://monsterminigolf.com/bully.html

Mark Lanctot
2008-12-02, 13:45
I saw the infamous Monster Cable power line noise demo in Sears (?) the other day.

Needless to say I didn't try the demo because I knew what it would tell me.

I was there looking for cheap cables for a temporary fix and every single cable in the store was Monster - I walked out and ended up getting two RCA sets at Home Depot for $4.99 each. :-)

funkstar
2008-12-02, 17:44
I believe the big retailers like Best Buy in the US and Comet in the UK operate the same way as large supermarkets. Their whole cabling section is actually managed by the brand leader, in this case Monster. It's them who decide what products are displayed and how. Monster probably don't even charge the store to stock the cables up front so the stock remains Monsters until it is sold. In very large stores there might even be a company rep stationed there to look after stock and "give demos" etc.

So this isn't going to change any time soon, they are too entrenched with the large chains.

pski
2008-12-02, 17:52
I have a bad habit of confronting besties when they are turning the heat on customers.

The BS of signal quality completely evaporates when dealing with stretches of HDMI (since it's digital.) (Not to mention RCA cables and the ridiculous bable-tech-talk.)

When they respond with the mantra, I just ask them where they got their engineering degree. Works every time.

Oh, the term you are looking for is "vendor managed inventory."

funkstar
2008-12-02, 17:55
Oh, the term you are looking for is "vendor managed inventory."
Thats the one! :)

haraldo
2008-12-03, 01:52
I have a bad habit of confronting besties when they are turning the heat on customers.

When they respond with the mantra, I just ask them where they got their engineering degree. Works every time.

Ha ha ha, I really like that one indeed very much, thanks for the tip :-))

cliveb
2008-12-03, 05:36
I wonder if Monster Cable have considered the risk that they might one day pick on someone equally unscrupulous who decides the cheapest way to deal with the problem would be to put out a contract on Monster's CEO.

agillis
2008-12-03, 15:18
I have used lots of cheap cables that work very well in all but the most high end applications. As far as digital cables like HDMI and spdif the cheap ones work for high end as well.

Homedepot and Walmart are the best places to go for cheap cables is you need them fast.

haraldo
2008-12-03, 15:36
I have used lots of cheap cables that work very well in all but the most high end applications. As far as digital cables like HDMI and spdif the cheap ones work for high end as well.

Homedepot and Walmart are the best places to go for cheap cables is you need them fast.

I have bought quite a few cables from Blue Jeans Cable
Cheap, Top Notch Quality, Impeccable service
And.... they deliver from California to Norway, generally in 5 days (depends on size of cable order), so they deliver anywhere in the world, lightning fast

Their locking banana plugs for speaker cables are the best I've seen and they are ridiculously cheap

toby10
2008-12-03, 16:05
And.... they deliver from California to Norway, generally in 5 days (depends on size of cable order), so they deliver anywhere in the world, lightning fast

Their locking banana plugs for speaker cables are the best I've seen and they are ridiculously cheap

Yes, as well as Monoprice.com here in the US. Not sure if they ship worldwide though.

haraldo
2008-12-03, 16:09
Yes, as well as Monoprice.com here in the US. Not sure if they ship worldwide though.

Thanks for the tip on monoprice, I have checked their website and it looks like they may ship anywhere in the world as long as order don't break US export regulations

DoomWolf
2008-12-03, 16:16
I've never had any complaints about using lindy.com (although they look a little more expensive than they used to, but maybe that's just me). Looking at their website they now have 9 country locations including UK, US, Aus and across Europe. They're a lot cheaper than buying stuff in places like PC World and Currys in the UK. All you seem to get in those stores is overpriced Belkin cables.

Kvaks
2008-12-03, 17:21
And.... they deliver from California to Norway
Dude, that's insane. Buying speaker cable from the other side of the planet, I mean. There are cheap audio cables in Norway too, you know.

And yeah, buying anything other than the cheapest audio cables is a waste (more or less).

haraldo
2008-12-04, 07:06
Dude, that's insane. Buying speaker cable from the other side of the planet, I mean. There are cheap audio cables in Norway too, you know.

And yeah, buying anything other than the cheapest audio cables is a waste (more or less).

To me it's cheaper to buy cables from BJC than going to the local store or local web shops :-)))

On some of the orders I may also get the goods without paying tax which means 25% savings on tax in addition, so no, my friend, it's actually not insane.

And it's weird but buying cat6 ethernet cables from US will save me money instead of buying them here.

another example, I can buy Seas drivers from Madisound from US... including shipping and taxes, at a lower price than what I can get them for here, even if they are manufactured around here....

So yes, perhaps it's the world that's insane :-))

Mark Lanctot
2008-12-05, 09:15
I wonder if Monster Cable have considered the risk that they might one day pick on someone equally unscrupulous who decides the cheapest way to deal with the problem would be to put out a contract on Monster's CEO.

LOL, "Monster Loansharking".

"Breaking limbs since '95. You wanna piece of this?"

Nonreality
2008-12-06, 03:57
There is this large company called Monster cable....

It looks like it's becoming a habit of Monster cable to target small companies, to sue them, try to drive them out of business, in a range of frivolous lawsuits...

Examples of this:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49064

Monster Cable Sues Baby Clothing Company MonsterRepublic.com
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/monster-cable

Monster Cable Sues Blue Jeans Cable
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/monster-sues-blue-jeans-cable

Now there's a pattern of not so good things happening.....

There's perhaps one way to stop this and this is by everybody speaking out and say that we don't accept this, and also for consumers to stop buying Monster cable products

This should get as much publicity as possible, then perhaps Monster Cable may end this ridiculous tactics.

You may also join facebook group: Stop Monster Cable bullying small companies
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=47129424738

OR burn your Monster Cable products in a camp fire and post videos of this at YouTube

Regards

-H

Sorry but I'm too poor to burn my equipment. I have one of their power sources and I'm happy with it. I won't buy any more of their stuff but like I say this is a good power source and I'm happy with it but not happy with their way of dealing with other companies. If this isn't good enough then tough luck.

Nonreality
2008-12-06, 03:59

Yeah supporting Walmart is much better than Monster cable.

Nonreality
2008-12-06, 04:03
To me it's cheaper to buy cables from BJC than going to the local store or local web shops :-)))

On some of the orders I may also get the goods without paying tax which means 25% savings on tax in addition, so no, my friend, it's actually not insane.

And it's weird but buying cat6 ethernet cables from US will save me money instead of buying them here.

another example, I can buy Seas drivers from Madisound from US... including shipping and taxes, at a lower price than what I can get them for here, even if they are manufactured around here....

So yes, perhaps it's the world that's insane :-))
That's because the local store pay taxes to the city and also probably supports the schools and other local organizations that helps the city. It's not always about the lowest price you know.

haraldo
2008-12-06, 05:14
That's because the local store pay taxes to the city and also probably supports the schools and other local organizations that helps the city. It's not always about the lowest price you know.

I think it's just a difference in margins, still... if it's more expensive it's wise to buy local to support local business

-H

haraldo
2008-12-06, 05:19
Sorry but I'm too poor to burn my equipment. I have one of their power sources and I'm happy with it. I won't buy any more of their stuff but like I say this is a good power source and I'm happy with it but not happy with their way of dealing with other companies. If this isn't good enough then tough luck.

Ohhh man, Burning power sources is probably too tough.....

toby10
2008-12-06, 05:38
I think it's just a difference in margins, still... if it's more expensive it's wise to buy local to support local business

-H

Indeed! Local and state taxes account for a minor increase in the retail price. Obviously in VAT countries this would be higher still.

The real increase in retail cost to brick and mortar store retailers is additional shipping, distribution, store costs, product packaging, infrastructure and store employees.
But nowhere near the 100+ % increase in the products end price to the consumer.

Here's a perfect example that I ran into when looking to buy four simple RJ45 Couplers. Cost from retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, Radio Shack) ranged from $6.99 to $9.99 each.
Cost from Monoprice.com was 45 cents each.
So four of them it's either $ 1.80 or $40.00. Now come on! That's price gouging, plain and simple!

Now if someone wants to "support their local community, city, state, and retailer" at such an outrageous price difference / markup then go right ahead and do so. More power to you. But not me. :)

haraldo
2008-12-06, 05:43
Indeed! Local and state taxes account for a minor increase in the retail price. Obviously in VAT countries this would be higher still.

The real increase in retail cost to brick and mortar store retailers is additional shipping, distribution, store costs, product packaging, infrastructure and store employees.
But nowhere near the 100+ % increase in the products end price to the consumer.

Here's a perfect example that I ran into when looking to buy four simple RJ45 Couplers. Cost from retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, Radio Shack) ranged from $6.99 to $9.99 each.
Cost from Monoprice.com was 0.45 cents each.

Now if someone wants to "support their local community, city, state, and retailer" at such an outrageous price difference / markup then go right ahead and do so. More power to you. But not me. :)

Of course, I agree with you

If I can get significant savings, I will have no problems going to a web shop in Seattle or buying gear directly from av123 for instance, and that I do.....

Buying US built gear is significantly cheaper from US factory direct shops than buying here, so why should I throw these money to the local retailes when I can have them myself instead...

But if difference is academic, then I buy locally, I don't throw money out the window....

regalfirebox
2008-12-21, 14:41
It's surprising how may people are still duped into buying Monster cable products given their lack of quality around real audiophiles. It's just the big corporation pushing their name on consumers and such.

I thought this was funny... I can just imagine noel lee getting red in the face about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf8HLZK6a8

ah-ha ha. twelve dollar cable. that;s awesome.

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-06, 11:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIf8HLZK6a8

ah-ha ha. twelve dollar cable. that;s awesome.

I just went to Blue Jeans cable - there's a good chance the "Internet" cable came from them, their prices are comparable.

Anyway there have been some developments in the Monster Mini Golf saga:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44459&page=18

Haven't read the whole thing but apparently Monster Cable is dropping the lawsuit, although they're leaving the door open to further litigation. They may be waiting for the heat to die down before going at them again.

rainjacks
2009-01-07, 14:33
There is an update to the story. Monster Cable dropped the lawsuit and payed all of Monster Mini-Golf's legal fees. This came about when the top people from the two companies talked person to person instead of through their lawyers. Monster Cable will be changing the way they protect their trademark from now on. There was a good interview discussing it on NPR today.

And the CEO of Monster Cable will visit the newest Monster Mini-Golf when it opens to play a round.

toby10
2009-01-07, 15:45
There is an update to the story. Monster Cable dropped the lawsuit and payed all of Monster Mini-Golf's legal fees. This came about when the top people from the two companies talked person to person instead of through their lawyers. Monster Cable will be changing the way they protect their trademark from now on. There was a good interview discussing it on NPR today.

And the CEO of Monster Cable will visit the newest Monster Mini-Golf when it opens to play a round.

Too little. Too late. Too overpriced. :)

Henk51
2009-01-08, 06:19
I've never buyed Monster Cable.
I'll keep it that way.

There are better improvements out there,
in terms like better DAC's Powersupply.....

haraldo
2009-05-24, 02:58
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/monster-cable

Nonreality
2009-05-24, 14:40
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/monster-cable

Great review btw on that site also on the SB3. A bit old but a great review.

haraldo
2009-05-24, 14:59
Great review btw on that site also on the SB3. A bit old but a great review.

Reviews on ahudioholics.com are very high quality, competent people and I like that site :D

AndreE
2009-05-25, 06:44
It is really sad story and creasy way of doing business
No ethic and no excuse

Just think. The copyright allows having any word or word combination patented/protected by copyrights.

And human vocabulary is relatively small, not more than some thousand words.

The amount of reasonable combinations is bigger, but not much. The amount of positive words or combinations is much smaller. And if any creasy company will make a claim for any basic word this would be just a problem, because there is just one step to the point where we would need to be just silent.

Anything what we say would be violating one or another patent/copyright claim...

And may be at that point of time it would become clear that this low is a bit too wrong, especially how it is applied in some countries (sorry, guys, nothing personal)

funkstar
2009-05-25, 07:02
And human vocabulary is relatively small, not more than some thousand words.
Some say there are over a million words in the english language.

Peter314
2009-05-25, 15:05
Just think. The copyright allows having any word or word combination patented/protected by copyrights...

Anything what we say would be violating one or another patent/copyright claim...

Let's be clear: this concerns neither patents nor copyright. Monster are asserting trademark rights, and they have a history of doing so in an aggressive and often unmerited manner.

A word should only be registered as a trademark if it is not one that other honest traders would legitimately want to use (eg a descriptive or laudatory word).

Moreover, a trademark is registered for specific goods and services provided by the owner. The vice arises where a trademark owner unreasonably attempts to monopolise his mark in respect of unrelated goods or services of a third party; eg a cable seller trying to prevent a mini-golf provider from using the same name.

Pretty much every business has at least one trademark, and will be careful to prevent its improper use by competitors. A TM is a valuable asset. As shown by Lotus (shoes), Lotus (software) and Lotus (sports cars) there is no reason why a non-descriptive word should not function as a distinctive trademark for several different - and non-competing - concerns without inconveniencing the public in any way.

Unfortunately, Monster don't seem to see things that way...

seanadams
2009-05-25, 21:02
Let's be clear: this concerns neither patents nor copyright. Monster are asserting trademark rights, and they have a history of doing so in an aggressive and often unmerited manner.

True, but in other cases that have also asserted patents so broadly as to effectively claim ownership of any RCA connector deisgn. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

Monsters indeed!

AndreE
2009-05-25, 23:18
ok, trademark rights... it does not change the nature of the problem.
you are right also about million of words... the statistic also says that few people on this earth may overcome a hundred thousand limit, most are below or much below ten thousand.
Please do not take me wrong. I am not to offend anybody neither to start a polemic.
The point is: "Monster" is widely spread and used word. And according to the low in many countries it is not allowed to do so.
Just thing if one company would be successful to make a patent on several programming commands like "goto" "if" and some others... the attempt was in place, but likely it was refused.
There is a low and common sense
It is like internet name occupation for later sales
It should be prohibited to sue someone who does not abuse your trademark by being in another business, neither to allow registration in the areas where company has no business in.

Peter314
2009-05-26, 00:30
True, but in other cases that have also asserted patents so broadly as to effectively claim ownership of any RCA connector deisgn. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

Monsters indeed!

Indeed. And boy did they pick the wrong victim on that occasion!

Boots
2009-08-13, 11:41
The one with the most toys wins....and I plan on winning....the SC Duet certainly got me nearly to the top. Love the thing; technology is amazing and remember the days of organizing all my music on cassettes with start/stop points and hand typed database to keep it all straight.

I'm a radio ham operator and electronic / hi fi freak....have all the best toys (now I have the Duet), with a 6 zone speaker system controllable throughout the house and built a nice glass shelved lighted equipment rack in the living room wall with the hind end in my ham shack so can get to all the wiring easily in the back room. Believe me I have cable like most of you and tend to lean towards buying quality equipment. There is no doubt that Monster makes quality cables but it is just wire and unless your putting in a area where it will be stressed by climate or movement I doubt that one would notice any difference using Monster cables cept there wallet.

The guys at these toy stores all tell me the same....bottom line they get a kick back for pushing Monster's line. Monster makes so much money selling their expensive cable that they probably can and do have contests / send a number of guys to Hawaii if they win; or some incentive to push their line. Some of these kids without any experience/knowledge will look you in the eye and tell you there is a significent improvement in the sound using Monster.....their sales manager / trainer did a good job.

I probably saved at least 400-500 bucks not buying Monster and unless I win the lotto I'll keep buying wire that works for a decent price.....my system sounds great.

haraldo
2009-08-13, 13:23
The one with the most toys wins....and I plan on winning....the SC Duet certainly got me nearly to the top. Love the thing; technology is amazing and remember the days of organizing all my music on cassettes with start/stop points and hand typed database to keep it all straight.

I'm a radio ham operator and electronic / hi fi freak....have all the best toys (now I have the Duet), with a 6 zone speaker system controllable throughout the house and built a nice glass shelved lighted equipment rack in the living room wall with the hind end in my ham shack so can get to all the wiring easily in the back room. Believe me I have cable like most of you and tend to lean towards buying quality equipment. There is no doubt that Monster makes quality cables but it is just wire and unless your putting in a area where it will be stressed by climate or movement I doubt that one would notice any difference using Monster cables cept there wallet.

The guys at these toy stores all tell me the same....bottom line they get a kick back for pushing Monster's line. Monster makes so much money selling there expensive cable that they probably can and do have contests / send a number of guys to Hawaii if they win; or some incentive to push their line. Some of these kids without any experience/knowledge will look you in the eye and tell you there is a significent improvement in the sound using Monster.....there sales manager / trainer did a good job.

I probably saved at least 400-500 bucks not buying Monster and unless I win the lotto I'll keep buying wire that works for a decent price.....my system sounds great.

Couldn't agree more with you, lots of high quality gear out there at affordable prices :-)))

konut
2009-08-13, 16:03

Yeah, but do you have any TenTec gear?

kc5f
2009-08-14, 07:52
Yeah, but do you have any TenTec gear?
Nothing better for CW!

konut
2009-08-14, 15:25
Nothing better for CW!

A true aficionado!

LukeS
2009-08-15, 00:41
I did a quick browse of the thread and did not see these links so enjoy:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/09/monster-cable-learns-nothing-sues-monster-transmission/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/17/engadget-endorses-monster-cable-uh-hell-no/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/23/monster-hdmi-difference-scam-still-kickin-in-frys-electronic/

Also scroll down to the bottom of the monster job search site: http://www.monster.com/

It looks like monster cable legal team got to them to, see the "Looking for Monster Cable?" link.