PDA

View Full Version : Some Artists Listed under Last Name

cousinjerry
2008-12-01, 08:57
I'm just getting my units set up for use and have downloaded MP3Tag to clean up my tags.

In squeezecenter the odd artist is listed alphabetically by their last name instead of their first.

I've checked the tags and cannot find anything different about this items.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

aubuti
2008-12-01, 09:11
If your files are FLAC, then check the ARTISTSORT tag. If they are MP3, then check the corresponding tag, but I don't know what it's called in ID3. Maybe TSOP? You should be able to find out via mp3tag's help system.

cousinjerry
2008-12-02, 14:14
Thank you aubuti, it fixed it for 99% of the issues. I still have one artist that will not appear under their first name! I've checked all of the extended tags in MP3tag and there are only the regular tags there.

Anyone else ever seen this???

aubuti
2008-12-02, 14:25
Thank you aubuti, it fixed it for 99% of the issues. I still have one artist that will not appear under their first name! I've checked all of the extended tags in MP3tag and there are only the regular tags there.

If your files are MP3, have you looked for ID3v1 or APE tags? That's always the culprit when I run into something like that.

Of course, there's also the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" alternative of changing all the others to sort on "lastname, firstname" like the remaining stubborn one ... ;o)

snarlydwarf
2008-12-02, 18:26

Make sure you check every single track by that artist.

It only takes one ArtistSort to, well, set the sort value. (Ie, if you have 200 tracks by "Frank Sinatra" and any of them are tagged with ArtistSort (or variants depending on format) as "Sinatra, Frank" that will tell the scanner to insert a "SINATRA FRANK" into the sort order in the database (some normalization, like caps and removal of commas, etc goes on). Since there is only one artist table, that will mean everything by "Frank Sinatra" will have the sort set to "SINATRA FRANK".

(And, yes the one table of artists is also normalization of the database...)

Dogberry2
2008-12-03, 08:00
What is the artist's first name?

I had the same puzzle with my Les Paul albums, and also Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, until I realized that "Les" and "Los" are included in the terms that are ignored during sorting. Terms in French and Spanish that happen to match first names of artists or groups can cause this problem. I finally set mine to just ignore "the", removing "les", "los", "la", "las", etc. from the list, and all is well.

Go to the Web interface Settings, Music Library and check the "Articles To Ignore When Sorting" setting. If the first name of the artist is in that list, that's your problem.

Moonbase
2008-12-03, 12:57
I actually quite like it :-)

And yes, for MP3 ID3v2.4 tagging it would be TSOP, which is *sometimes* also used in ID3v2.3 (which is not complying to the specs but nice nevertheless).

Maybe (and I’d just love it!), SC also checks for ALBUMARTISTSORT (TXXX), a tag that is commonly used by MusicBrainz’ »Picard« Tagger.

The easiest way to find out is prepare some (dummy) MP3s using Mp3tag, containing variations of the above, and see how they’ll be sorted.

Oh yes, and you should check for »misnamed« ARTIST and BAND tags, containing things like »Sinatra, Frank«. (Usually, you’d use these to store the Artist/Band as it is written/spoken, i.e. non-sorted: »Frank Sinatra«, and store the sorted values like »Sinatra, Frank« in another tag like TSOP or ALBUMARTISTSORT.)

RabanePaco
2008-12-03, 15:49
I seem to have a similar problem. See my post Duet Album order; composers.

Can someone give me some pointers about these sorting tags? How do these work?

Thanks.