PDA

View Full Version : Perfect sync with duet controller achieved...but...

Torgo
2008-11-30, 22:12
Ok, so one of the reasons I bought a Duet (as opposed to yet another SB3) was I was under the assumption that once the audio jack on the controller starting pumping out music it was essentially another full player. Well, now the audio jack works and has nice volume control and behaves every bit as a full player with one glaring exception, reliable sync (well technically a digital out and ethernet jack as well, but that's neither here nor there :P ). And without sync you could give me all the extra players in the world but they'd all sit silent. In my house I tend to listen to all my SB3s in sync at all times and have little desire to manage what they are playing individually, much less listen to different streams as I move about the house.

Buried deep within other posts I discovered the sync on the controller does not quite work because A: Audio from the controller is still very beta and the thing just started working at all, and B: the controller plays via the squeezeplay software and not the same hardware that actual receivers/SB3s use and therefore may never sync properly, just as sync with a PC is likely never to be perfect.

Ok here's the catch. Playing with my controller and wishing I cool fool it to sync I started testing if various ways of starting the stream had any effect, to no avail. What I did find, however, is that changing the volume on the Controller will bump it back into sync. After about 5 seconds or so it noticeably begins to drift out of sync. So being OCD like I am I went about adjusting the volume up and down slightly every 3 seconds for the length of an entire song and, wouldn't ya know, the damn thing stayed in sync the entire time.

So although this is absurdly hacky, if all else fails (as in a more direct code change) to get the controller to properly sync could you not pass micro unnoticeable volume changes from the server to any controller connected and force it to adjust its sync?

schiegl
2008-11-30, 22:24
hey, it's beta and still being worked on: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=364931#post364931

kind regards,
Markus

Torgo
2008-12-01, 00:07
Yes, I believe I acknowledged that in my original post.

I wasn't trying to bitch, I was trying to be helpful by pointing out a quirky point that may not yet be known (the volume hack) as I havent seen it mentioned in any previous posts.

If my original post came off as terse I do apologize, that certainly wasn't the intent

Howard Passman
2008-12-01, 09:28
Ok, so one of the reasons I bought a Duet (as opposed to yet another SB3) was I was under the assumption that once the audio jack on the controller starting pumping out music it was essentially another full player. Well, now the audio jack works and has nice volume control and behaves every bit as a full player with one glaring exception, reliable sync (well technically a digital out and ethernet jack as well, but that's neither here nor there :P ). And without sync you could give me all the extra players in the world but they'd all sit silent. In my house I tend to listen to all my SB3s in sync at all times and have little desire to manage what they are playing individually, much less listen to different streams as I move about the house.

Buried deep within other posts I discovered the sync on the controller does not quite work because A: Audio from the controller is still very beta and the thing just started working at all, and B: the controller plays via the squeezeplay software and not the same hardware that actual receivers/SB3s use and therefore may never sync properly, just as sync with a PC is likely never to be perfect.

Ok here's the catch. Playing with my controller and wishing I cool fool it to sync I started testing if various ways of starting the stream had any effect, to no avail. What I did find, however, is that changing the volume on the Controller will bump it back into sync. After about 5 seconds or so it noticeably begins to drift out of sync. So being OCD like I am I went about adjusting the volume up and down slightly every 3 seconds for the length of an entire song and, wouldn't ya know, the damn thing stayed in sync the entire time.

So although this is absurdly hacky, if all else fails (as in a more direct code change) to get the controller to properly sync could you not pass micro unnoticeable volume changes from the server to any controller connected and force it to adjust its sync?

You're gonna get me killed on my treadmill :-)